1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problems with getting ToEE started

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Oaz, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I bought ToEE this afternoon for quite a bargain of $10, only to find today that I couldn't get it running.

I installed the game, and then ran the game to play it, but all that happens is a blue screen that shows up and tells me to restart my computer. In any case, the installation seems to have gone normally, but I can't get the game to work.

I have a Pentium III, with 128 RAM and DirectX 9.0, so that seems to fulfill the minimum requirements; the FAQ at atarisupport.com seems to be of little use. Can anyone steer me in the right direction here?

[ March 31, 2005, 11:36: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Did you install the patches? They're on SP.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a lot of problems that I never did resolve. I had a PIII 733 MHz, over 256 meg of memory, running on 98SE with all the patches installed. I kept getting the spinning cd or some such thing -- never even got to the opening movies. Trying to decypher the atari support FAQ was not worth the time (I went back to BG2). Fortunately, it was a pretty box and made for a nice decoration until I upgraded my computer....

It runs just fine on the P4 I have now.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I did install the latest patch, but I think the problem may just lie with my not having a decent enough computer. Fortunately, I will probably be getting a P4 in several months, so it's not a humongous deal.

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Curious about the Graphic card you used, and if you have latest drivers for that one.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, it might be your video drivers. I had problems when it first came out on a Radeon 9800 Pro. The patches clear up a tremendous number of issues, like what you're describing. Most of the time it just crashed out to the desktop upon loading, but I have no doubt there were some blue screens in there, too.

Update your drivers. Patch the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.