1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game hangs/exits in Fire Node

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Little Man With BIG Nose, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Little Man With BIG Nose Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have defeated 3 guardians and are fighting the Guardian (Balor) on the fire node. I have had him brought on his knees 3 times now by using magic missiles (from 3 sorcerers). Every time I am about to defeat him (he has 274 hp or so in damage) the game exits to windows. So how am I supposed to finish the game? As I understand it you need to defeat all 4 guardians before the final match is available to you?
    Also the game hangs every other second on the fire node :-(

I have patch 2 on. OS is Windows XP (without SP 2) and my system is P4 2.4 Ghz, 1GB ram, Geforce 6800

Does patch 3 or co8 help in this area? I am just getting real tired of reloading and fighting the same battle over and over again.

Why don't Atari fix this problem? I would rate that bug as a priority 1! (also weird that fans are making bug fixes?! - Come on Atari. It's your product - go fix it)

2. fkirenicus Gems: 1/31

Well, I've finished the game for the first time now, and while there were lags in the nodes maps, the game never crashed. I guess the animations (esp. the fire) of the Balor are heavy on your graphics card, though...
    What are your system specs? I have a portable Dell, 512 RAM, 1.13 GHz processor and 32 MB RAM graphics card. DX 9.0b I think.
    Game was patched with all official patches (1-3).

3. Little Man With BIG Nose Gems: 1/31

Hmm...
    I think my system would beat your system configuration any day he he... Anyway I did put it in my thread:
    ...OS is Windows XP (without SP 2) and my system is P4 2.4 Ghz, 1GB ram, Geforce 6800.

Ok jokes away...
    But maybe the problem is with the high end graphic cards or only some types of graphic cards?! I also have a laptop so I think I will try and install the game on that and see if I can finish the game :)

And can of course also try to reduce hardware acceleration or remove the sound card etc...

Thanks...

4. fkirenicus Gems: 1/31

Well, I begin to think that really system specs have no impact on this game's performance... If you have problems on a 2.4 GHz computer (which is more than double of the recommended, IIRC), then the lags are bugs in the code, not lousy system specs. :)
    Just to make sure... You have the latest drivers for your graphics card, right? (stupid question, I know, but...) :)

5. Little Man With BIG Nose Gems: 1/31

not a stupid question.. but yes I do! But that is of course not always a good idea if the drivers are not stable (BETA like behaviour). So it might be worth a try and install the previous NVIDIA drivers!

But I just read some of the threads to BGII and people with powerful machines also experience severe lag on performance? When I completed BGII + TOB a long time ago on a much lower spec machine I did not have any problems at all. So I just don't know!

6. fkirenicus Gems: 1/31

I didn't have any problems with BGII/ToB either. Anyway, you should really check your DX settings. Are you using windows? Press Start -> Run -> type dxdiag
    If DirectX encounters any problems, you will have them displayed (checks both sound and graphics).

7. Little Man With BIG Nose Gems: 1/31

I will do that later today or tomorrow! Either that or burn the game :) Have not really decided yet - he he

8. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't think you have to defeat the 4 guardians to unlock the final level.
    Just getting the orb of golden death will do that for you (unlock the special gateway on the TOPMOST floor of the temple. Defeating the guardians opens up a special gateway in Dungeon Level 4 if I am not mistaken).

9. mrbiggs Gems: 1/31

Actually I'm having a similar problem - (SPOILER WARNING) it looks like a bug tied to the Balor exploding when you defeat it. My problem is I've defeated the Balor about 4-5 times (doped up barbarian + wizard), and each time, I can no longer grab items or go through doors.

After installing the fixes, at least the summoned orb demons become unsummoned (it was kind of funny walking into Homlet with a Hexrou and Glabrazu at my side). But I still can't pick up the fire gem or walk through the portal. VERY ANNOYING.

Anybody else have this problem?

10. Landshark Gems: 1/31

No, but a related one. It's not necessarily a bug. I killed the Balor and he blew. Now where's the rotten gem?

11. Tadex Gems: 1/31

Yeah, I had the same thing with Balor crashing the game for me. What worked out for me was closing all third party applications before running the game. Pretty strange but I found it on some other forum and miraculously it worked. From then on finishing the game was a piece of cake :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.