1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game balance good.... Then came the Galeb Duhr... (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by fkirenicus, Feb 2, 2005.

1. fkirenicus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This game is superb concerning game balance... at least until now that it draws towards the end.
    I've had challenging fights all the way at times, but through experience (I've played all IE games and NWN) and some luck I've prevailed.
    Not even the fight with Hedrack I would say was hard - why, I beat him the round after Iuz and St. Cuthbert went to settle their own differences.
    I had a hard time defeating the Hezrou until I started using Stoneskin on the fighters, then he was challenging, but not impossible to overcome.
    But yesterday I encountered some geezers of stone, called Galeb Duhr.
    Not even the Hezrou was worse than they are. I mean, I have a 10th level Paladin that hits them EVERY time he strikes, but does no damage??
    They have DR 15/--, which means they are virtually not possible to kill with physical attacks. Further on, they have SR 15, which means you must have some 300 Magic Missiles, Fireballs etc. prepared to kill off the some 10 of them....!
    What gives? I really don't believe any creature has DR 15/--. That means they'll generally ignore being hit by a weapon +5! This is a bug, right?
    Does anyone know if this has been corrected to DR 15/+1 as I suspect it should be in the fan fixes?

[ February 02, 2005, 10:37: Message edited by: fkirenicus ]

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would just recommend skipping the Galeb Duhr, I've never been able to beat them in my runs through this game. I've even beaten the Balor, but not them. My advice would simply be to skip to the Demon Lord of the Earth Node and get his gem in the Golden Skull. Perhaps using him and the Hezrou to clear the Galeb Duhr is a viable idea?

3. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yeah, they have spell resistance but I play with the fan patches. Level 13 wizards with spell penetration have no problem getting rid of them with fireballs. It doesn't help they have an AC of 28 so using power attack to up damage means you hit less probably unless you use buffing spells for your AB etc. What does help is that not all the galeb duhr come at you right away.

If your wizard has intiative, you can move the targetting cursor around the map to see where most of the galeb duhrs are and throw a fireball their way. They probably took 35 to 50 damage each when I did that. By the end of that turn, only 3 galeb duhrs made it to the party's fighters. The rest were fireballed by the PC wizard and Spugnoir. Grease helped to trip them up as well.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Its doable even without the fan fixes. Between my Sorcerer, Rogue/Wizard, Cleric of Moradin, and Druid, everybody has the Stoneskin effect going into the battle. The Sorcerer has backups as required. Haste, Mirror Image, etc. are also helpful.

Simply paste away with all the fireballs you can. Spike Stones can also help. My Cleric of Moradin with his newly boosted Holy Great Cleaver +3 can often land a telling critical hit on them. Likewise, I'll cast Keen Weapon on my Paladin's sword. The overall effect is that you should be able to take em down.

5. Little Man With BIG Nose Gems: 1/31

You need lots of fireballs and magic missiles (2 sorceres would help). Try not to take them all on at once but only 3-4 at a time. Heal up and go back! Prince Thrommel with Bulls strength can hit them and do damage to them every time. So also use haste to increase the number of attacks.
    Lightning ball is also great often doing 25-30 hp in damage on average and you should be able to get to an angle where you can hit 3-4 of them every time

6. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

My fighter with a +8 power attack and Scather was able to take them down quite easily.

7. mrbiggs Gems: 1/31

I've found a combination of web and cone of cold barrage does the trick. I think the idea is if you go in with a wizard of sufficient spell prowess (L10 + spell penetration) he can bring them down to size and let the fighters take care of the stragglers. Their freedom of movement rings are a great combo with web.

Side question - does a webbed creature lose AC points? It looks like they do.

I've actually found that defeating them is quite a fun exercise of the strategy aspects of D&D.

8. Shortnamed Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ah well....

You should makesure to enchant your weapons.
    Both cleric an wizard enhancements.

Important things:

Keen
    Cold damge
    Elergy amage

Fill the rest of the "slots" as you prefer.

By the time you reach that portion of the game, you should be able to maul everything without trouble, since your weapons are dealing insane amounts of elemental damage.

The reason you fail to beat these critters is not bad balancing: its the lack of preparation.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.