1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looting Bodies doesn't work

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by William, Aug 21, 2004.

1. William Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi,

I loaded ToEE this week, patched it with Patch 1 & 2 and started a game. I think from the tutorial that dead bodies that glow blue when I put the cursor on them, should bring up the Looting Screen when I left click on them. Is that correct?

It never happens. I'm as far as the Moathouse and just killed the Ogre. He glows (as do all the bandits outside), but clicking on them does nothing.

Any ideas? If I've done something wrong or missed something please let me know. Because, the game is unplayable as is.

Thanks in advance for your help. William

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I had that *exact* same problem, not but last weekend. Specifically where I noticed it was at Emridy Meadows (my first stop).

I just reloaded. Backup your save game and reinstall. That's what worked for me, anyways.

3. William Gems: 1/31

Thanks EJ, I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy (well I may be crazy, but not mistaken about how this is supposed to work).

I did uninstall the game once and did a reinstall. Tried it with Patch 1 alone, Patch 2 alone, even installed the Eo8 mod, and it still is broken. I also tried saved games and started new ones.

I'm running Win XP SP2 beta - do you think that could cause this?

I sent in a support request to Atari, but their tech thought it was a "gameplay issue". I hope I can get them to see it as a software or at least a config problem, but we'll see.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm having serious problems with it, as well.

Like I said, I had it last weekend. But I cleared it up with a re-install. I couldn't loot the hill giant, and I backed up my savegame, and reinstalled. Put the V/W's mod, then Co8's mod on there. Then I could loot, and I cleared the place out.

It's utterly nailed me this weekend. And yes, I think that's the only thing left. Service Pack 2. I've tried version 1.0, v1.1, v1.2. With V/W's mod, with the Co8 mods. I've tried everything. I've even tried loading a brand new party with nothing but pre-generated characters, and I killed Elmo. Couldn't loot his body.

That's my *next* damn move, is to crash my machine and only use the SP1 patch. I'll report back in a couple of hours, and see if that worked.

I'm wondering why no one else has been complaining about this issue?????

[edit: I've good news and bad. The good is I've localized the issue. The bad is that I "think" it's Service Pack 2. I managed to loot Elmo after about 5 clicks. But it seems as if that was a ****ING BUG!

I've wiped out the rest of homlett, from the widow north to the church. And was not able to loot another single body along the way. None of the farmer's daughters, the blacksmith, or the clerics. So, for my machine anyways, it seems as if it's SP2 that is the issue. The only thing I did between looting Elmo and trying to loot the rest of the town was load SP2. I didn't defrag. I didn't load any new drivers or patches. I didn't mess with the registry.

To recap:

--- Windows 32bit XP, Service Pack 1 (I kept the Microsoft Virtual Machine version, so I don't use the "SP1a" version), Temple of Elemental Evil, Patch v1.2, Vicks and Wedge mod, Circle of Eight mod, level 20 javascript mod. [in that order]

You can loot bodies.]

[ August 22, 2004, 05:08: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

5. rc23 Gems: 1/31

I just bought and installed this game. I have the exact problem. I can't loot bodies. Looting works in the tutorial, but not in the actual game. I've only installed the 2nd patch (patch 2 says it contains patch 1) and am running WinXP Sp1.

I haven't tried a reinstall yet.

6. kidaware Gems: 1/31

There is a workaround to this. If you wait until the bodies disappear (I don't know exactly how long they take to go away), you can double-click on the stash that's left over to get the items.

7. Starborn Gems: 1/31

Looting bodies problem:

The problem is with MS XP Service Pack #2
    I was having no trouble at all untill I installed XP Service PK #2. Now I am unable to loot the bodies. The only workaround I have found is to do as Kidaware suggested. "Wait for the bodies to dissappear, then double-click on the loot". In my experience it takes two or three days for the bodies to dissappear, though on rare occasions I have noted a single body will dissappear in one day.

According to what I can find out, Atari is NOT planning a fix, so this problem will remain a real PAIN.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There will be a patch for this, dig a bit into our General News forum, we posted more info about it not long ago. The only question is how long it'll take for it to come out.

9. Nomad_Wanderer Gems: 1/31

There are a couple of workarounds for this issue.

Run in windowed mode. I've yet to see the looting problem in windowed mode. (though windowed mode kinda takes a way from the experience IMO).

Enter Combat mode. You can loot in combat, but this gets old fast.

10. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, at least I know its not my system. Been having the same problem. I hope it gets addressed soon

:)

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The circle of 8 group won this race against the official developer.

www.co8.org

At the moment though, the site is undergoing an upgrade.

12. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31

Thanks Beren.

Have you tried it? I've also encountered posts regarding a Vicks & Wedge mod and other mods. How do they affect game balance?

My main concern isn't the ToEE game per se, more of the 3.5 rules of DnD which I haven't tried (stopped PnP during 2nd ed).

Also, in terms of other mods/patches, is there an order of installing I should follow, or just randomly patching on top of each other work anyway? Do they automatically unzip/install for ToEE or do I have to put them in the correct folder manually (which I have no idea)?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Install the official patch first, then Co8 fixes (if you want), and then the Vicks & Wedge mod.

14. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31

Thanks Tal.

I downloaded the Co8 patch which auto-installed. Then I also dloaded the temple.zip file. Unfortunately, I don't know which components go to what area since it didn't auto-install. Haven't gone for the Vicks and Wedge mod yet.

:confused:

15. Taluntain

Media:
  16. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31

posts on temple.zip

I spent time in the Co8 boards, and I read the above post. I'm not exactly sure who said it, maybe it was nomad_wanderer and or ejsmith (plus what you posted above) but the what I remember was: Atari patch 2, then Co8, then temple.zip, then Vicks & Wedge mod.

Sorry for the confusion

:)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.