1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it really this buggy?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Foradasthar, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Alright. I bought the game last wednesday/thursday. Made 3 new parties until I realised the basic problems such as you can't use NPC's for their lootgrabbing and uselessness in longer adventures due to encumbrance. And the few skills they neglected to mention were useless in the game as well (manual revealed that).

Anyway, the biggest problem is the bugs. I'd thought now after around 6 months from the release, the bugs would be acceptable, but no. The support has failed to help me in anything and so I ask if you people have experience of it here.

Things such as quicksave crashing the game, some specific points such as the frog at Emeridy Meadows doing the same the second you hit him. And then, the best, when the game randomly crashes the entire computer when starting.

I have newest drivers of every type, I even took F-Secure Backweb off to try if that helped.

Computer is P4 3000Mhz+, ~1gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Sb Audigy, Win2k. Now if I don't find a solution during this weekend, I'll return the game on monday. I just simply cannot play this game without making it destroy my computer at some point. Been a while since I found such a masterpiece that could even hope to do that.

Oh and in case someone does know where that problem's come from, then what causes the incredible fps-drop whenever there are more people on the screen? I mean I KNOW I've got more than enough power in this machine of mine to make the game run smoothly, and I've tried fiddling with the vague options in the game, as well as disabling Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering.

Thanks.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You did install the official patch available now? A new version of it is coming in the next few weeks and should clean up the remaining bugs.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Yes I did. The problem with the coming version is that it's going to be past the 7 days return period. Of course I could play it safe and return the game now, then get it again after the patch is out. But I was hoping for an easier solution.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I just got back around to loading up the game (my last savegame was dated December 26th). I started over, because I can't even remotely remember where I left off.

Put the screen resolution at 800x600, and see if that doesn't clear up all your troubles. I had some serious problems with my Ti4200, when I was trying to run at 1024x768 or above; especially when starting the game. But the 800x600 setting cleared up everything. I've not even bothered taking it up again with my new card, simply because of all the issues I had with my Ti4200.

I just cleared out Emredy Meadows before I remembered to restart and loadup all my people with feats. Didn't have any frog problems, but the hill giant did manage to whack ol' Elmo before I took him out. Which is why I loaded up all the feats and started crafting items...

Your machine should be completely hammering this game. I have a *mostly* comparable machine, and it's hammering it just fine. I'm using the DNA 2.42's, which are basically the Catalyst 4.2's, but with some tweaks. I have Rage3d loaded (along with Radlinker), and I have w-fog, z-fog, and table fog all turned on. I get the usual area map "studders" when I'm scrolling around, but part of thats due to me running the game off some old 6gig spanned drives.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Because I like the characters bigger, I usually use as low resolution as possible. In the case of BG2, that's 800x600 (640x480 is too impractical). In TToEE, that's been 800x600 as well. So it's not that either. :)

Thanks for the advice though.

6. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It's definitely not your computer. I get slowdowns too, though I don't think they're as bad as yours; which is strange, because my computer's not as good. That you're crashing so much is also strange. Maybe it's a Win 2K thing? (Grasping at straws.)

You can find a no-looting patch and other fixes at www.co8.org.

[ March 22, 2004, 12:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

It might also be your hyper-threading. You should probably turn the game to one cpu. Hyperthreading causes problems with several games.

Man, after that, I'm going to have to say it's either drivers or it msft patches. Like I said, I have a Radeon, and although I cuss the interface quite a bit, it's stable enough to play. I get a random crashout every now and then, but nothing that constantly quicksaving can't completely cure.

You've got a little work to do on your machine, mate. I'd be surprised if you weren't having other problems, as well. You should probably post as much information as you can. I wouldn't be surprised if it's that Audigy giving you problems.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Hmm. Well this computer of mine hasn't had problems with a single other game that I have. So I'll definitely say that TToEE is the one to blame here.

I'll just wait till the new patch is out then, if it doesn't help I'll sell this to one of my friends. At least the lesson was learned.

9. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've had slowdown problems myself but these are generally of the sluggish cursor variety. You click somewhere on screen for your characters to walk to only the cursor moves so slowly that they don't start walking till a good 5 seconds after you've finished clicking. Other times, trying to mouse into an area where the characters have yet to walk (a still blacked out area) causes this problem. I've had this problem with the lowest and highest resolutions and also tried it before and after the patch and nothing has made the slightest bit of difference.

My comp's well above the recommended spec for the game so I don't know what the problem might be.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Deciding from the answer I've gotten in the various boards I've asked, it seems my problem is quite unique.

That gives reason to be pretty desperate over wether the patch will be enough.

11. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] You're problem isn't as unique as you might think. I have a Dell P4, 2.4ghz, 512, and a Radeon 9600xt. I also have some slowdown problems in certain areas. My comp has never crashed on it though so I consider myself lucky. Despite the dry plot, i really like the look and combat system in this game. I am not too sure a second patch could fix all the little bugs this game has, but i hope Troika learns a little and tries again.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

It's running a bit better for me, now. I crashed my machine and used the Autopatcher. Check whatnots for a full run down.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.