1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arcane caster feats

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Super-aap, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Super-aap Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Im planning to make a party for a second round of this game, the planning on a magic heavy party. The problem im having at this moment is that i dont really know what the skills are to pick for a caster.

i tried to make a good sorcerer but could not choose between all the feats.

maximise spell, widen spell, enpower spell, spell penration and then all the schools i can choose from to make the spells harder to resist.

So the question really is: What are good skills to pick to make a good arcane caster?

Edit: Can someone please help me with this question?

[ October 13, 2003, 16:26: Message edited by: Super-aap ]

2. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A question I would wanted answer too.

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The skills and feats are all based on the PnP game. You can go here to get more information on them than you get in the game manual. The spell section will also tell you what school each spell belongs too.

There really isn't any 'right' or 'best' combination. But once you know what the skills and feats are supposed to *do* you'll have a better idea of the kind of spell caster you want to develop. Having said that, a skill and feat combination that every spellcaster should have is Concentration and Combat Casting; these are vital for a successful spellcaster.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] For a human wizard I think the following are good:

1- Improved Initiative - for getting in the AoE spells (like Fireball) before it's a melee.
    1- Combat Casting - improving the chance of getting off spells in dangerous situations.
    3 - Craft Wondrous Item
    5 - Point Blank Shot - required for Precise Shot.
    6 - Precise Shot - eliminates the firing into melee penalty (-4).
    9 - Craft Wand
    10 - Craft Magic Arms and Armor

If you do not chose a human you have one feat less and in that case I would dump Craft Wand.

Without Precise Shot a wizard or sorcerer is more or less useless as a missile fire combatant. He's not good even with this feat, but without it firing into melee isn't even a serious option for him.

Get crafting feats on all or almost all of your casters (arcane and divine) so the XP cost can be spread out among your party members.

Only take a metamagic feat if you have a specific idea in mind! For example you might want to take Empower Spell to memorize Fireball as a level 5 spell.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I tried maximise spell on my cleric in order to make optimum use of his healing abilities - despite that I still had events like just four point healed when casting cure moderate wounds ... I fear that one's buggy ...

6. Super-aap Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thats somthing i dont understand too.

enlarge spell
    You can alter a sepll with range of close, medium, large to double the range of the sepll. An enlarged spell uses up a spell slot higher the the spell's actual level.....

what does this mean?
    does it say that i can enlarge a cloudkill spell because it allready has the maximun level a arcane caster can cast?

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] It means you have to memorize it in a spell slot one level higher in this case. So for example Cloudkill (level 5) would have to be memorized in a level 6 slot. You don't have a level 6 slot because of the xp cap, so you can't do it with Cloudkill.

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] My mage is basically a magic factory. Scribe comes for free, but I took Craft Wand, Wonderous Item, and Arms and Armor. I also took the Martial Weapon Proficiency instead of the Point Blank/Precise Shot feats.

I just cast Bull's Strength and Mage Armor, equip him with a Polearm and stick him into combat!!! No need to worry about firing into melee with my wiz!!! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.