1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multi-classing

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Belgarath, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Belgarath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Is it wise to multi-class any character because there is an experience cap at level 10?

I don't like playing a roque, so I'm thinking of multi-classing.

2. bluey Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, I suppose thats a matter of taste. I didn't see a need to multiclass other than to give my cleric a level of fighter - I felt my party was quite well balanced overall and didn't need to spread themselves out.

I found I needed every lev 10 skill/spell I had when I got to trying to defeat the Balor and Zugg. I probably would have multiclassed more if there were more levels to be had.

3. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Is there enough experience in the game to still get level 10 in one of your character classes? That is, what level can I reach before I have to multiclass so that the second class reaches lvl 10? or is this not possible?

I am assuming all multiclassing is now like the old dual-class system (I am unfamiliar with the 3rd edition ruleset).

Edit- I searched around a bit elsewhere and found that the level cap applies to the combined character level (for example; level 3 + level 7 would be the max, whereas therefore level 3 + level 10 would not be possible). I'm sure most of you allready know this, but I'll leave my question here for those who are just starting character creation planning.

Sorry for not researching this further before asking the question.

[ October 13, 2003, 08:44: Message edited by: Manus ]

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Manus

Getting enough experience to reach level 10 should not be a problem.

About multiclassing.
    No it is not like dual classing was!
    Your character gets to have a total of 10 levels.

Examples of level 10 characters:
    Wizard-10
    Fighter-4/Paladin-6
    Rogue-2/Wizard-8
    Fighter-4/Barbarian-2/Rogue-2/Ranger-2
    :)

5. stefan Banned

Seems like I got an answer to one of my questions.
    Does anyone know why this is how it is?

I mean, I´ve played for about 5 hours and are already at max level. There´s no way I can finish the game with a Lv 10 fighter, right?

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

What? :confused:

Why level 10 is maximum? The original campaign aimed at characters level 1-8. Going over level 10 would make it too easy I guess.

You can probably finish the game with a low level - say level 4 or so - soloing Rogue.

7. stefan Banned

Well if the fights doesn´t get harder than this it wont be a problem. But it must get harder than this right? Has anyone finished the game, have I alot left to do?

8. Belgarath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was thinking about multiclassing the roque with a barbarian, so that a have some rogue skills (which I think I need) and a second tank.

The other party member will be a:
    Fighter
    Cleric
    Sorcerer
    Wizard.

9. drowling Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

No you cannot, because you don't have enough XP to storm through the Temple without resting (and I found no place in the Temple where one can rest).
    A 10th-level fighter can't do it, so a 4th level Rogue certainly can't do it, even if you Sneak Attack everything you can.

In my experience soloing, one can get to level 10 near the moathouse. Just rest outside, monsters show up, kill monsters. Of course, then, Will-o-Wisps show up and - OOPS - you don't have a +1 weapon yet (well, maybe those +1 arrows from Jay).

I originally thought that in order to solo TOEE one simply needs a strong fighter specializing in either Bastard Sword or Greatsword; I have now come to beleive that a Dexterity-based approach might work better. The idea is to get high Dex, Finesse, Focus/Specialization as well as Reflexes/Dodge/Mobility and similar feats. My goal (this game is in progress) it to bump up Dex to 16 at lvl4, and then use Gauntlets of Dexterity +4 to get Dex 20. Then, some cool armor (Purple Elven Chain, IIRC) and days spent fighting monsters in defensive mode.

Annoyingly, this approach starts off very slow, and I think it's only at lvl4 that things will start to take off. We shall see...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.