1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: If you have the game, do you recommend others buy it?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sprite, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'm sure that many people who haven't yet bought the game are wondering whether or not they should, given the very mixed reviews it's been getting and the issues that have been raised here. So, if you have played this game already, please vote here.

I have set the poll up so that you CAN see the results without voting. So if you haven't played the game, don't vote - just look at the results.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.

Poll Results: If you have the game, do you recommend others buy it? (23 votes.)

If you have the game, do you recommend others buy it? (Choose 1)
    * NO. I wish I hadn't bought it. Save your money. - 4% (1)
    * YES. I'm glad I bought it. - 35% (8)
    * NOT AS IT IS NOW. Wait and see how much the patch fixes. - 61% (14)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wish you had a 4th option: Wait until the patches fix most of the problems AND it significantly drops in price. It'll hold steady at $50 for a few months at least.

VERY disappointing, and I'll never buy a Troika game again, if for no other reason than they can't seem to get a release right.

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Sorry about the omission, Death Rabbit. Let's assume a price drop is included in the third option, since the price is almost certain to have gone down by then anyway. :)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Only after it gets fixed. This game is unplayable in its current form.

5. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The un-official patch put out by our friends at Circle of Eight, makes the game playable but not perfect. If the official patch or patches deal with some of the bigger problems, we'll have one hell of a game. The visuals are great and the combat system is all i hoped it would be.

I personally doubt that Troika wanted the game released in it's current state. However, when your source of funding (Atari) says "we release game now", I guess you don't have a choice but to comply.

Wait for the first official patch, if the S.P. dwellers give approval, go buy the game and have fun. :thumb:

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I would hardly call it "unplayable" for all modes of play.

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Okay, okay...It's unplayable in Ironman. If you can reload/reset your game, it's probably playable...But I do really think many of the features of the game do not work as they should.

8. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like it, hasn't really encountered any bugs yet but I'm not that far in either.

From what I've heard, it's all Atari's fault. They just seem to be money hungry. Also, it could be neat if Troika released the game THEY got.

I got really mad when I heard that they had to change from mature to teen, come on it really adds something with maturity. They probably just wanted more money but I bet teenagers will still buy it even if it was mature.

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

I don't think its unplayable in ironman. That's the only way I've tried to play it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't encountered any game ending bugs or other issues that a patch would address relating to ironman specifically.

Though it would be nice if the game menu buttons were labelled correctly. :eek:

Oh, and trillex, the issue isn't who would *buy* it, its who would *sell* it. Walmart and similar retailers tend not to carry 'mature' games (though there are exceptions) and that affects publishers' decisions about things.

10. Belgarath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Buy it! Absolutely!

But wait until the patch is released, because now it is very annoying to see a potentially very good game being "bugged"

11. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Then make a censored version for the US and an uncensored for denmark and other countries that really doesn't care about that. :p

12. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    It is amazing how repressed and censored we are in the "Land of the Free", isn't it?

13. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

You aren't censored at all. Atari chose to make a product a certain way because they believe doing it otherwise negatively impact their sales. No agent of authority forbid them from putting the "convince the lesbian to turn tricks for women" quest in the release version.

Troika was paid by Atari to make the game. Atari wanted the game to have a "teen" rating, despite what Troika was planning. Its Atari's money, not Troika's.

That isn't censorship, at least not in any morally objectionable sense. The owners of the game could have produces a "mature" content game if they had wanted to.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But why the hell did they decide to go from M to T at the last minute and so invalidate a number of quests/locations in the game? I consider not planning something like this in advance to be due to somebody's incompetence. Which is not really surprising, since in most of my dealings with Atari I had to deal with unbelievably arrogant and amazingly incompetent people... It's the worst combination out there.

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I just bought it today, and am in the middle of installing and looking up cheats.

Sounds like a haystack. Yeah, the whole sexuality and violence thing in the US is exactly the opposite of Europe.

*cough*

Anyone else remember ET for the Atari 2600? :)

16. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yes, that was one of the great moments of gaming history, wasn't it? :D :rolleyes:

Personally I was looking forward to ToEE, but then I started reading the reviews and the comments in this forum. Now I've decided to wait for the patch (at least) and possibly also until the prize drops.

17. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

[​IMG] The in-game mapping is really the pits. Even with the added crank-up of my GeForce 3's control panel Gamma Level, you can't see anything, and can't move around. I especially miss not being able to move the camera angle.

Co8's FanFix 1.0.0 patch has held most of the bugs back for my own playing, but now they elected to use "RAR" to pack the second patch version. Booo! Hiss!

My party is stumbling around inside the moat house like all of them are as drunk as Elmo! I think I'll do something else, and wait until decent maps exist. The maps in the Brady guide to the game, certainly those offered for the moat house dungeon, are literally worthless!

:(

Kiwi

18. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

following the original post, is this game more in the style of IWD (linear story,battle-rest-battle) or BG ?

19. Chaynsaw Gems: 1/31

I feel much obliged to encourage any RPG game out there. TOEE can be bloody odd at times, the whole disaster with NPC looting, little bugs that turn NPCs hostile randomly, random HP gains upon leveling, and the massive slowdowns I get on my comp..

I think this game could be really great with a modding fanbase and copious amounts of patching. Until then it's a lukewarm recommendation. Buy and expect frustration before a major patch comes out.

20. Archdruid_Iselore Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] the only problem i encounter in toee is the scrolling problem because im a icewind dale player before... i play the game as fast as possible..but the scrolling into town(any place) is hard..

and maybe the requirements also..but its the players own problem.

and for the topic.. i think for every d&d rpg fan toee is recommended.(especially pen and paper freaks). not recommended in newbies in d&d..this game is very complicated for newbies.. i rate this game 7 out of 10.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.