1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monster Frogs!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Spellbound, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Ok... I've taken the Nulb quest to catch the fish. We go up to the river and are attacked by damn killer frogs. One is small, the other is monstrous. I've reloaded over 10x to no avail. My rogue gets "grappled" (stuck to the frog's tongue) and dies within minutes. Every single time it's the same-the frog seeks out my rogue and she's done for. Anyone else having this problem? I'm really stymied....have tried every protection we have. And how does one counter grappling???

2. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yeah...that's a really nasty, overgrown frog ;) You would be wise to leave that area and come back to it later.

As for grappling, there isn't really a way to avoid being grappled (at least that I'm aware of). However, once a character has been grappled they can attempt to 'break free' - the option is on the radial dial under movement. It's a strength check, so your rogue probably wouldn't have a chance. It can be used whenever a character has been 'caught', whether it's grappling, a net, webs, etc. Anything that physically impedes their movement...outside of walls and things ;)

3. Spellbound

Well, I finally whacked them to death....and got the gar, I thought. But it appears not. That whole battle is really confusing....the troll won't die, even with acid spells sent his way. We're trying to heal and the lizard men and crayfish won't leave us alone! Came back to Nulb to rest up some and will go back and try again. I really thought we killed the gar, but when we came back and talked to that guy again, the dialogue showed we didn't. Mighty confusing. :confused:

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

To kill a troll, hammer it until you get it down to unconscious/paralyzed. Then select coup de grace to finish it off.

The gar leaves an item that you have to take back to Grud so he can show it off to the other pirates.

When I went there with my ironman party, it was ugly. There was a nasty seahag, a bunch of lizzies, and the two frogs. Furnok of Fernd bit the dust there permanently and I had to rez my rog/wizzie, too. The frog also swallowed my druid's pet. My basic plan was having my bard sleep the lizzies, having Elmo fail to die distracting the seahag (the bard pumping healing into him full time), and everyone else whacking on the big frog. Fruella smacked it down eventually. Then everyone finished off the hag.

5. knightblade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I only fought the small frog first. After killing it, then the monster frog appeared. So I didn't have any trouble with it. I used my fighters to attack and my sorcere to cast magic missile at it. No trouble Lucky I guess.

6. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I found that seahag far worse than the ubber giant frog. She continually paralyzed half my party, leaving only my rogue and wizard to face her. Not pretty.

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

yes, she was really, really unpleasant. however, she couldn't instakill folks the way the frog could.

8. bluey Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Man...where is this troll you are all talking about? I have done this area (Imryde run ?) with two parties and not once have I run into a troll.

Party1: I got the two frogs, killed them no problem, rested, saved, then got the seahag with the lizard men. THAT was tough, due to the aforementioned paralyzing/ability draining effect. In the end, I just got lucky. Then I killed the Gar and took his carcass back to Grub. No troll!

Party2: they materialized in such a way that it set both frogs AND the lizard/seahag party into combat at once. That was durned near impossible...the Kingfrog kept going specifically for my Druid, who was the only person who could help out anyone suffering from the poison/ability drain.

I near pulled my hair out trying to get the Kingfrog before he got my Druid, (hes got a lot of HP!) while trying to pick off the seahag from a distance. (Evoker with a wand of (5) magic missiles and my rogue sneak attacking from range)

In the end, I got the Frog just as my druid was on deaths doorstep - she had been nailed by the seahag while grappled - poisoned and ability drained just before being swallowed whole...how's THAT for a fun demise!

Anyway - all she had left was a couple of full heals (scroll and potion) - to my delight this cleared up poison and ability drain as well. She was able to use the other heal on my poor fighter trying to get that last whack in on the seahag (who was "near death" by this time) and that was all she wrote.

With a loud, highly indignant Squawk, my fearsome attack chicken had gotton smashed to chicken pate by the lizard men - when I healed it back consciousness after this horrific battle experience (with the rest of my party still ragged), it was evidently traumatized and confused - and promptly ran off with a show of ruffled feathers - straight into the Gar.

I was not amused. Fortunately, both the chicken and my party survived this further encounter they were not ready for. A troll might have done us in - but I STILL saw no troll! Where is the thing?

9. Spellbound

The troll showed up in between the frogs and the gar (just to the right of the frogs). And, actually, if I moved more into the center of the river channel, 3 trolls materialized. So, I kept to the bank and just had to deal with one, which was plenty. And I'm not sure I ever saw the seahag.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.