1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I QUIT!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
  2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, it's only the best way if it actually WORKS. While I agree with you in principle - that if you go cold turkey and if you can resist the urge to smoke, then it's definitely the best way. However, IMO, it is also the hardest way. You're battling the physical and psychological effects of not smoking simultaneously. The way I see it, if you can make the processes somewhat easier, it only enhances your chance of quitting. To me, the best way is the way that works.

I've heard that too, and I hope it is true. The basic plan is one month to overcome the psychological part, and then start overcoming the physical part. While I'm doing OK so far - quit last Thursday and no cigarettes since - my daily nicotine intake is about the same as it has always been. So I haven't starting overcoming the physical addiction at all - at least not yet.

True, but that wouldn't have been an issue anyway. I never smoked in my home or my car. While I've never taken the step of stopping smoking before, I was always aware that many other people didn't like the smell of smoke. So I never smoked in confined areas - it was always outdoors.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Ah yes, that's the problem. :) I went cold turkey myself, but then I had a bout of bronchitis at the time, which makes it a LOT easier to quit, because you just can't smoke anyway. Let's just say that the patch is preferable to that... ;)

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well as I smoker I can do nothing but praise you, I too would like to stop. I already decided that on my 19th birthday I'll stop, wich is in 30 days. I can smoke a pack of 25 in two days and considering my age it's alarming. My best wishes to you, and don't you forget to bring pictures of your baby as soon as (s)he is born! :p

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Actually, the two first weeks were the hardest ever. The psychological part I took care of by chewing gum and toothpicks, exactly like my brother did, and it did the job. As for the physical part... the lack of nicotine made me pretty much unbearable for the first two weeks - cranky as f***, very easy to irritate and extremely quick in being nasty with others. Since I was working in a metal shop in that era, I took it out by starting various metalworking projects - bashing metal sheets into submission eased the crankiness, anger and kept my mind busy, therefore focusing it on something other than smoking, therefore simplifying the process.

Honestly, while those two weeks were truly nightmarish, I regret nothing. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do exactly the same thing. Being finally tobacco-free was worth every second of frustation, anger, crankiness, edgyness along the way.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Just thought I'd give a quick update. I have now been smoke free for one week, with not a single relapse over that time. I think I'll be in good shape for the next three weeks - that's when I start reducing my nicotine intake with a lower level patch. I think if I was going to break at this level of nicotine, it would have happened by now.

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Good job. You can do this.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Two weeks and going strong!

9. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Congrats!

Hope you don't mind a little unsolicited advice...

One thing that I found helpful when I quit smoking was to stop counting how long it had been since my last cigarette. Everytime I tried to quit and kept count, it made it feel like I was just taking a break.

When I quit for good, I stopped counting after a week or two. Instead of thinking "It's been 3 weeks and 2 days since my last smoke", I instead just told myself "I don't smoke anymore. Doesn't matter how long ago I quit."

Like I said, I found this helpful, but your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Congrats Aldeth! If you can go 2 weeks, then there's no reason you can't go 2 months... 2 years (you get the idea :happy: )

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

My father had surprisingly little trouble in quitting smoking, the thing is he now chews a pack of nicotine gum a day. :p

I suppose even that's better than smoking though.

12. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i used the gum when i quit,too.17 years ago.i got addicted to regular chewing gum for a few months after that,but eventually,i got back to what i pass off as normal...oh,and congratulations for quitting.you'll be healthier,and much richer.cigs cost a fortune any more

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, I have now moved down from the 21mg patch to the 14mg patch. While I haven't really been counting off days anymore, it's still easy to keep track, as I bought 4 weeks worth of the 1st patch, and now I'll be on step 2 for another 2 weeks, and then step 3 for two more weeks after that.

The way I look at, since step 1 takes as long as step 2 and 3 combined, I'm more than half way to ending my nicotine addiction. No cravings after going from the 21mg patch down to the 14mg patch. I was a little worried when I made the move down. In the course of the last month I got used to not smoking, but I was not used to not having as much nicotine, but it seems to be going OK.

14. Rook Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Good going mate! and keep going!

I too would like to quit smoking, it is something i have thought about for a long time. Oh, and just to give you a bit of info on how much money you will really save:

Apparently the average british smoker will spend £700 to £1000 a year on smokes. I'm 23, if I quit now and placed the money I would spend on ciggerettes into a savings account, that would work out to about £25,000 by the time I hit 50.

Hope thats even more inspiration for you and other smokers out there to give it up!

15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Nice work Aldeth, quitting smoking is a bloody nightmare. Keep it up! Think of all the moolah you're saving!

16. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Thanx for the props dmc, this topic caught my eye too :p Congrats Aldeth! Now if I could just quit :beer:

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Last patch today!!!!!

After today, I will be nicotine free!

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Congrats!

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Well done, Aldeth! :thumb:

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Congrats! You've done really well up to now. Keep up the good work!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.