1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Barmy Army, May 18, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yes, I don't know how many a day, I know a pack can last 4-5 days for me.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Used to. I quit just over six years ago, after smoking for 16 or 17 years. Before then, I smoked about 15 cigarettes a day.

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Never have, never will. I'd rather not shorten my life span.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Same as TrueBlueAussie, never have done and I've no intention of starting.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    10 to 20 a day. More if I'm bored.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm with TBA and Decados

8. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I would never. My uncle died of lung cancer. It was slow and painful. That is why I constantly remind my friends constantly not to smoke or at the very least, smoke less.

9. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Nope. Not after my dad got his disease from smokeing...

I can't remember what its called, but basically his body is fighting against all the nicotine in his body, which in his case seems to be his legs, and scar tissue is building up, which is making his veins in his legs smaller: he can't really exert himself too much or his legs start to go numb and hurt really bad.

so yeah, no smoking for me

10. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Did as a Uni student - roll ups, probably a packet of the smaller size Golden Virginia a week.

Pretty much quit when I met the girlfriend just over 9 years ago - and will be forever glad for doing so.
    Still used to have a very occaional cigar but have dropped that as well now.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never. I watched my grandfather waste away from lung cancer.

My daughter started smoking and I won't let her smoke in my home or even on the property -- she has to take a walk if she wants to smoke.

12. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Never, never will. My grandfather was a tobacco farmer. Back in the 60's, when I was a teenager, ( :geezer: here, remember) he asked me if I had started smoking yet. I told him I hadn't. I was stunned when he said, "Then, honey, please don't ever start."

He made every cent he ever earned on tobacco but by then he was terrified of its effects. He died of a heart attack within ten years of that conversation.

I've watched people die from lung cancer and emphysema and other diseases brought on or aggravated by smoking. Stay away from it, boys and girls. That stuff really will kill you.

13. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    The only time I'll smoke is when I'm camping and we're sitting around the campfire drinking beer. Otherwise, no.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I don't smoke, never have. I'm happy I never started. I don't mind other people smoking in my presence, as long as they don't blow the smoke in my face. In fact, the scent of cigarettes and coffee invokes fond memories of hospitality and guests.

I hate the stench of cold cigarettes in an ashtray and cold cigarette smoke.

The exception: I only smoke in company, and very rarely. I like to smoke a nargile occasionally, that is, three or so times a year. And have an occasional cigarette or the like on a party when feel like it, maybe twice that. Cigars maybe two times a year. That IMO doesn't count as habitual smoking.

15. Condor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Used to when I was around 15-16 but have quited and started a few times since then. But since I was 14 I have used moist snuff (called snus here in Sweden). I use about 200g/week.

16. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No. Seems like half my family has died from emphysema or cancer or currently is dying from one of those two. Besides smoking is wildly unattractive.

17. Old Raven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

No. Have never tried a cigarette and never will.

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I smoke but not heavily. I'd say I have about 5 or 6 a day. I have one in the morning after my cup of tea (no breakfast, a cuppa and a fag will do me). Then I have one on my break and dinner at work, to de-stress myself (it chills you out and makes you more alert at the same time). I never smoke at home, because I don't want a stinky house, and I rarely smoke when I go out. Beer is enough for me then. So it's about 5 or 6 a day! Sometimes more, sometimes less.

19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Everybody seems to think I'm a smoker, maybe because I'm shorter than most Finns.
    But nope, I don't wanna waste my money on health problems.

...Well, other than alcohol caused that is :beer: .

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Never have, never will, and I'm teaching both my sons the same thing. Arlyn is even more passionately anti-tobacco than I. I'm so proud!

I really think the Supreme Court blew it when they refused to regulate cigarettes as drug-delivery devices. If I had my way, tobacco would be available only by prescription, and then only to people who were enrolled in approved smoking-cessation programs. It is not an activity that should be allowed in public places where innocent, unsuspecting people are trying to breathe!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.