1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting for the 2nd time through! Any Suggestions ??

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TelexStar, Jan 4, 2001.

1. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Its been a while since I visited this board! (Oh the days spent reading and posting topics when I should have been working!)

Anyway, I'm after peoples suggestions on who to have in my party.

I'm playing a theif (Bounty hunter) Chaotic neutral.

?

2. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Why don't you choose an all PC party ?? I did that for my 2nd game :).

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Rasalgethi - I thought about that, but then you lose the NPC interaction that I really liked. I'm thinking about making a thief/bard type character, and taking completely different npc's...I might even dump Minsc!

4. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

Oh yes, Messire, you are right, I played my first game with these interactions. And I chose to ignore them for my other games.

Well, maybe I'll try again a 1 PC game with an Evil side. Now, I'm completing my solo Monk :).

5. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Played 'good' first time - play evil, make all the other choices - change gender and romance Anoumen (yuch) - see how fast you can complete (<30 days?) or play ironman - no reloads, no resurrections, if somwone dies they're gone.

6. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

I don't remember exactly but I guess I completed my first in less than 20 days, I challenged for speed. I think it's possible to finnish in less than 15 days.

The ironman challenge seems hard and interesting, well, I like the Solo games too :).

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OK Telex, who did you have in the first party. Perhaps I can suggest someone different. Oherwise, I've only spent real time with Minsc, Jan, Ariee, and later Imoen(dumping Jan in assylum). So far I'm satisfied with them, but Jan is a weak mage at best. Definately not the choice if you are only going to have one mage in the party. Imoen is the best all around mage/thief, just watch exp before rescuing her.

8. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I am playing with Jan and Arie. Jan isn't as bad of a mage as you would think. They actually compliment each other very well. I haven't lost too many battles with the party I have now. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost one or the other. Jan can actually memorize some spells that Arie couldn't because of her limitations of number.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Give Aerie a potion of Mind Focusing or Genius and have her memorize any spell you want...

10. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Oh, hey thats pretty cool. I didn't know you could do that.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Using this potions is agood idea anyway.
    I tended (when affordable/ available) used it on my ex-BG-1 Int-19 mage for some spells are expensive/ rare, just for back-up. It served well.

12. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I have a party with 3 pcs in it and 3 npcs.

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My main quarrel with Jan is that, much like Ariee, he can cast up to only level six. The reason I keep Ariee and not Jan around is that Ariee is at best a backup mage and joint cleric(with my fighter druid)for my party. If I did not have 2 other very good mages(Imoen and myself-Kensai/Mage), I might have had Ariee hit the bricks when I realized how many spell levels she misses in the game. Jan is a fine thief(though not very good at backstabing at all), but is mediocre as a mage only because of his multiclassing. Depending on how much you care for mages and how many you already have in your party, Jan could be good. But with just him, he stinks compared to Imoen, who is an excellent mage(if you get her back early enough) and is almost perfect with traps and locks(and is perfect with traps with ring of danger sense and 95 with locks even without the ring of lock picks). Later in the game, you might just miss spells like Maze, Similacrum, Horrid Wilting, Warding wip, so on and so forth.

14. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I finished my first time through in seven days didnt do all the quests but only those i thought looked cool

15. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Here's an idea.
    If you want to experience the NPC interactions, yet still have some control over your characters, why not create three PC's for multiplayer, then add the NPCs that you want.

I was thinking of creating an archer,thief(swashbuckler), and maybe a monk.

Has anyone tried this? Do you still get NPC interaction when playing multiplayer?

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I got interaction.

I went with a sorcerer a kensai/mage and a monk.

17. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Here's another idea. It involves cheating using Shadow Keeper, but it won't ruin anything if you've already completed the game once.

Basically, play the game with whatever character you want, and pick up the NPCs you especially like personality-wise, or ones you have never used before because you didn't like their character class (all of them are easy to get very early in the game, except Imoen).

Then, save your game, open Shadow Keeper, and edit the NPC's character classes to be the types you want for a good, balanced party (or classes you've never played but have been curious about). You also might want to make stat adjustments, but in the spirit of fairness, don't add any stats without subtracting the same amount from other stats (i.e. keep the total number of stat points the same).

In this way, you get to have the NPCs you want, as well as play all the classes you've always wanted to try. You also get a party that's as balanced (or im-balanced) as you desire. It's also totally cheating, but not in the way that editing Blackrazor into your inventory is cheating. :)

Have fun!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.