1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How's your local accent?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Barmy Army, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't think anyone hears their own accent.

Personally I do not think West Coast Canadians/americans have much of an accent. Yes, Canadians talk faster, but I have found it is the more southern Americans that notice it the most. As for the aboot instead of about, that is more eastern Canadian (newfie). There are always words pronounced differently. However, Saber's comment in particular struck me as amusing... and I quote..
    If you are from Boston, I know for a fact certain words you say will come as a very strong accent to me, I would be able to tell where your from just from making you say Hotdog. :) :grin: :roll: :spin:

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

How is my local accent?

Sexy according to lots of American women.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    in FInnish, I speak VERY stronglly in a wayt hat I suppose could be called generic norhtern dfdialect -c ause I mix the several distinctive dialects willy-nilly in my speech.

I ENglish, I have been told I sound apparenly half-finish, half "american" accoding to my British friends :D

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I have a generic English accent with a slight Southern twinge. But my accent is determined very much by the people I'm talking to; when I'm with young people I don't know, my voice becomes much rougher and more obviously Southern; if I'm with older people I don't know, my voice sounds a lot more posh.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    "Meyn Akzännt ißt eynfach Härrlisch!" That said, yes, I'm from Cologne. I usually speak straight 'Hochdeutsch'. That is, I can and do choose, depending on the occasion. Speaking in dialect with folks from your region immediately creates a bond. It's funny.

When I speak english, I have a distinct English accent over that small rest of my German accent.

6. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I normally grunt alot. If someone asks me if I want to do something I generally just give them a grunt that sounds like "Uh-Huh" or "Nuh" to get my message across without oening my mouth. As you can tell, I am not a big talker and my family often says that I am creating my own language and should right a book on it. If I do have to speak, I sound like most other Aussies and use the word "Mate" a hell of a lot. Also, any word ending in 'ing' will often be pronounced as 'in'.

[ December 19, 2006, 00:58: Message edited by: TrueBlueAussie ]

7. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't think I speak with any accents...although I am getting highly influenced by animes and mangas to be saying stuff like 'che' ... Although that doesn't really have anything to do with accents...ehe!

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I hear ya. Same here.

9. Condor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The guys in my platoon claim that my accent is not an accent but random sounds that sound like norwegian. And Im swedish.
    When I talk I take a letter from each of the word and make one word out of it.
    eg. "Det är inte så farligt" (It's not very dangerous) becomes "Däntså fali". So speaking mostly to people from Stockholm I had to train away my accent so they could understand me.

10. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I have the Southern US drawl. It was rather amusing when I worked in a call center since people would notice that I spoke differently, but couldn't figure out where I was. When most people think of Southern accents, they're thinking of the back country twang, which is way different (at least to those of us that live here) :D

[ December 21, 2006, 18:54: Message edited by: Stefanina ]

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Lol. :D I'm having a class on German dialects next semester. Sounds a bit Flemish even, the "meyn". Ours would be "mijn".

I speak Hochdeutsch with a slight West-Flemish accent I suppose. Though mine isn't as intrusive as the Brabant accent I'm confronted with now that I'm in Leuven...aargh... "spiele", "sage", "brenne"...there's an "n" there for a reason people, pronounce it.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hehe, I have a pwnsome accent in German, but it's been many years. I need to use Google Translator to my help when something in German pops up in the news. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.