1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is your occupation/job?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Abomination, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

After I've been doing some geology and geography am I now a nurse on my 4th year.

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

^Have you decided what kind of nursing you want to get into? Here in the states you can get into almost any place with a four year nursing degree(most RNs here have only 2 year degrees).

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @T2Bruno: If you want to bore anyone with your chemistry stuff I'm listening anytime, but I'll warn you, I might not get bored even if I'd understand very little.

It's not boring. It's fundamental. Fun da mental.

So even if it'd be, I dunno plastic compounds or whatever, it's still chemistry. It deals with how us machines work.

Please enlighten me this much: What kind of polymers are you doing research with?

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm the manager of quality assurance for a software company that specializing in electronic data capture applications that are used by pharmaceutical companies in clinical trials. My duties fall into a few broad categories:

* Keeping our standard operating procedures up to date, training folks on them, and auditing to make sure they're being followed
    * Coordinating validation of projects for our customers (and participating therein, as workload requires)
    * Coordinating the Interactive Voice Response applications that are often an element of our projects, including training the Users and providing tech support.

Fun, fun, fun. Daddy took the T-bird away a loooooooooooooong time ago. :rolleyes:

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm a student doing my final year of a Bachelor of Science degree..I dunno if that qualifies as an occupation. When I have midsemester breaks, I work as a management trainee/intern for Tanflora Infrastructure Park Ltd. back in India.

6. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Software engineer. I have been developing software in the defense industry for 12+ years now. The pay is decent and also importantly the hours are flexible.

7. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I was a full time leech for some time. Now I'm something of a student.

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I am a filthy layabout scrounging smelly student. I work 8 hours a week, drink lots, and generally arse around.

I am currently attempting to get a job to finance more of the same. Hopefully, I shall eitehr become a member of the UOTC (University officer Training Corps, a kinda Uni cadets for Officers), or a job in retail.

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Doctoral student in law and part-time lecturer at the University of British Columbia.

If I have my way, I'll soon be a full fledged law professor.

10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I'm a pupil :aww: , luckily I'm also the village idiot ;)

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Technology Manager for a major US bank. Recently got the VP upgrade to that title.

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tantric Lord. Women are always calling round to my place for 'servicing'.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...since cameras in general are not allowed in the manufacturing area of my work, I will bore you with a "stock" photo of what me and my coworkers look like inside the clean room. While I'm not in this particular picture, I look exactly like the guy that's 2nd to the right since I've got a snazzy pair of tinted safety glasses. Yeah, I'm a rebel...just like this fine fellow. :rolleyes: Take a look.

Riiiiiiiiiight...
    Umm...Cúchulainn, you might have mis-read the thread name. it's 'What is your occupation/job?', not 'What is your *dream* occupation/job?' :p :shake:

People complain about inter-office conformity...try wearing the exact same thing as everyone else. The only difference between people inside the clean room is their safety glasses and their height. :shake: :rolling:

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'm the Chairman and CEO of a Wall Street investment bank.

I'm also a corporate raider...

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Then you woke up Rastor ;)

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am a chartered accountant. I am currently working in the internal audit department of one of the major Candaian banks. I audit the investment banking and capital markets lines of business.

My job is to go around to the lines of business and test to make sure that they have proper internal controls in place so that we don't take on more than the desired amount of risk and don't have any unnecessary losses. The degree and complexity of risk management in investment banking and the capital markets is much greater than most people realize.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Do you have to deal with Sarbanes-Oxley then, JSBB?

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Oh yes, I am sick and tired of bloody Sarbanes-Oxley. We just had our year end and I spent most of the last quarter testing the SOX controls for the investment banking and capital markets lines of business.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sarbanes-Oxley is almost the biggest blight that the USA has inflicted on the world in the last few years. What a nightmare that thing is (unless you are a highly paid SXO contractor, or a Big 4 accounting firm, that is). The sooner our company delists its securities from US exchanges, the sooner we can stop messing about with this monster.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's fairly typical. Something bad happens here and it gets all blown out of proportion and politicized, and then you end up with something like Sarbanes-Oxley.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.