1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Useless spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Cuckoo, Jan 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuckoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Throughout the three times I've been playing BG2, I've not found any good use for these mage spells (I know some of them are very important in PnP roleplaying, but in BG2, they're practically worthless)

* Friends
    * Infravision
    * Protection from Petrification
    * Resist Fear
    * Non-Detection

And the grandaddy of them all...
    * Know Alignment!

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I do agree that there are quite a few speels in the game that are useless, but some of those have purposes. For example, how can you say resist fear is useless? There are many battles that if my party members hadn't been protected from fear, there would have beena snowball's chance in hell of winning. Likewise for friends. If you are low in money, this is brilliant at putting down prices, espicially with high priced objects.

IMO the only really useless spell you put there is infravision, and maybe know alignment. That is completely pointless. Especially if you play like me and have feedback on full. I only have it on full because that's the way i played BG, and the game seemed to strange without it on full. Despite this, there are definitely some spells in the game which defintely are pointless. I suppose in p&p you dont have little red circles around enemies in the dark, so infravision could help, likewise in p&p it may not be obvious of a players alignment, but in BG2 they are more like a waste of space. BTW I also think find familiar is useless, but that's only because my protagonist has ever been a mage/sorcerer, so it seems to waste away in my npc's spell book.

3. Wingfoot Guest

good points there, but how can spells be useless when you can sell scrolls and earn X.P. for writting spells into your spell book.

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited January 13, 2001).]

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Friends is an excellent spell when your Charisma is down and you need to impress someone with your conversation skills or looks. It helps lower prices in the market squares and shops that can be found there. Far from a useless spell.

Infravision is very useful when you're in the foul depths of the Underdark, roaming around in the darkness and long shadows found there. Having this spell can save ones life by spotting the enemy and their heat source before they spot you!

Protection from Petrification is very helpful. Foul traps litter the world of Faerun that can turn a brave warrior into a stone statue. Having this spell cast around their skin will prevent such accidents from happening!

Resist Fear is just as helpful. Protection against the beasts that bring fear from the very pits of our stomachs and into our eyes so we can continue to battle hard! Useless it is not!

Non-Detection is great when combined with Invisibility, helping the one who cannot be seen move undetected! Dashing past sentry points and into the shadows or depths one could not get to otherwise!

And last, Know Alignment. Many times I have questioned the motives of such people I have come across in my journey. Many times has this spell made me realize their true intent and is by far, one of the more useful spells!

What are you, a powergamer?! :)

Syl...

5. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I remember prot from petrification being somewhat useful in BG1. So as a younger child of Bhaal (BG1) you did benefit from at least that spell.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Useful against basilisks. Too bad there aren't any in BG2. Don't know why really. They were cool.

7. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In BG2,

Protection from Petrification is useful against Elder Orbs who cast 'Flesh to Stone', Prismatic Spray (one of the effect is to petrify) and some traps that can petrify.

Resist Fear is a very useful spell against Demon and Dragon Fear.

Non-detection is useful at low level combined with Invisibility.

8. Cuckoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sylvus, please tell me you're joking...

*Ahem*

All right, allow me to rephrase this:

For my half-elf mulitclassed Thief/Mage, infravision is useless. His ability to hide in shadows alone makes non-detection essentially useless. Protection from petrification is useful for (as far as I can tell) one trapped door in the game (in the bridge district, otherwise my thief/mage simply disarms all traps. I have never been petrified from a spell or an Elder Orb's attack; of course, I do have the cloak of mirroring. If you bothered to do the Circus tent quest at the very beginning of the game, you already have an 18 in Charisma whenever you want it. And i can just imagine the scenario with Know Alignment:

"Quickly! Minsc, Korgan, Viconia! Hold off the Black Dragon while I use the entire friggin' round to cast a spell that will tell me if we should fight the creature!"

9. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

No. I am not.

Odd you would think so.

Syl...

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Non Detection works in tandem with Hide in Shadows, so that spells like True Sight will not reveal you; the Cloak of Non Detection was one of my favorite items for my Archer and Valygar to share...

11. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Resist fear (and the priest spell too) are very very very helpful. When I fight with some bloody mages they cast horror or symbol fear. The result is that my team is running scared.
    With resist fear those spells don't do a shit.

12. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Protection from Petrification allows you to be unaffected by Hold (I think), and the Tanar'ri death gaze in the Planar Sphere (this one I know).

The BEST thing about Protection from Petrification is that it does not negate Haste the way Free Action does.

Hmm, I thought magical fear effects will negate Resist Fear? It's still useful though when fighting dragons or other fear inducing creatures (which is practically everything from the Lower Planes), at least until a Dispel Magic is cast.

With the Cloak of Non-detection, my Ranger has been able to stand right next to mages even with their True Sight on!

Infravision is absolutely useless in BG2, unless you consider it important to see a clearer outline. In any case clicking on a companion Elf or Dwarf would accomplish the same thing.

Friends is definitely good, by the way, but not that necessary.

13. Weasel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sylvus Moonbow why must we be classified as either a 'PowerGamer' or 'RolePlayer'.

I fail to see why it should even matter , unless your playing a muiltplayer game.

14. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

It doesn't matter, thus the reason for the smiley face after that particular comment.

Syl...

15. Weasel Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks you were the first to tell me the truth.

16. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

You can't trust anyone else. Sylvus Moonbow is your source of information, straight from the heart, I tell it how it is :)

Syl...

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Notice the smiley face after THAT comment! :p

18. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

You're very observant :D

Syl...

19. Weasel Gems: 1/31

Yes I saw that and it answers my first one again.I was always told when someone claims to have all the answers to be wary.

20. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

And I was told when you meet a Weasel to take a few steps back :D

Syl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.