1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon breakage

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Subra, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

One of the most frustrating things about the early part of this game is the weapon breakage. If your sword breaks, you pretty much have to flee. Well its been my experience that Hull's Longsword doesn't break. So if you're not caring about a few experience points early on...you can keep the Hull's Longsword for yourself. Also you can use staff or club...they don't break.

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I've never seen a spear break either.

3. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

and obviously + weapons never break.. anyway, it's solved pretty easily, I'm in the mines right now, and it's no challenge whatsoever for my level 4 party.. last time I didn't go in there until level 6.. talk about wasting time! :)

EDIT:
    thought of something else.. always bring an extra of each char's main weapon.. it makes life easier. Those weapons are soooo cheap anyway, it's really no problem.

[This message has been edited by idoru (edited August 26, 2001).]

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I never found weapons breaking an annoying problem. It's just a part of the game :). No wonder iron will be bad with kobolds pouring nasty liquids all over it.

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You need to roll a 1 for a weapon to break right?

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Magical Weapons don't break... only normal weapons do cause of the Iron Shortage. Clear the mines and fix the problem. Then it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Also after clearing the mines everybody should have already at least a +1 weapon so then the problem is totally fixed.... Indeed, special weapons liek Hulls Sword also don't break.

Spears don't break, they are wooden and only the end could be wood with iron on it.

to Sniper ---> Not in BG. In D&D, when you roll a 1 (critical miss) you have change to break your weapon or damage an ally.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited August 27, 2001).]

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Or as I experienced while playing P&P, the evil dungeon master told me I threw my morning star away across the room in the middle of a fight :(

8. Gwyddyon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

ACTUALLY, spears do indeed break. I always arm Kivan with a longbow and two spears, and the spears break quite commonly.

As for having to flee because of breaking swords, take the advice offered earlier in this thread: take at least one backup of each character's weapon. For instance, if you have Khalid armed with long/bastard swords, just pick up a couple from dead hobgoblins. You can get short swords quite commonly from xvarts and several other such creatures.

Since I always explore every inch of the game possible before going into the mines, I've never had these problems (well, the occasional broken spear/sword early on) since I always enter armed with only +1 and +2 weapons :D

9. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Um guys, my only point was that EARLY in the game...you know...EARLY...before you solve the Nashkell mines...EARLY...that time when gibberlings and hobgoblins are deadly....you are in a pickle if your weapon breaks. Not many people are going to haul around extra weapons if they don't have to do so and using Hull's Longsword is a good fix. Also I don't know anyone who can purchase or find any magical weapons at this stage of the game either. Breakage is only annoying for a short time, but it can have tragic results if it happens. Help! Help! Imoen and I have been beating this wolf with our fists! Runaway! Runaway! Oh crap wolves are too fast....ARGH! Answer...Hull's Longsword.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Simple huh, just find some magical Items.... I prefer the XP from Hull's Quest and use another answer to this problem: Just buy one additional Long Sword etc... ot take the one from the bandit you kill in the map with the Carevan...

11. Ferro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You could always use range weapons. I've never had a bow break on me.

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Aswell as magic weapons i do not believe named weapons break (e.g. hulls long sword, a wepon i kept for half the game)

13. Sniper Gems: 28/31

You think Gibberlings are deadly early on? Man yur must be a mage all the time! Hobgoblins are tough customers to 1st level parties esp. if they're in a group and xarvts can be pests...but my biggest worry would be an armed kobold at the crossroads bit...the 2nd map from candlekeeep. Or the ocasional bandit...bows are deadly bastards early in the game!

14. Sol'Kanar Guest

One time I was fighting my way through the gnoll stronghold, just Minsc and me, and Minsc's sword broke. So, never one to give up easily, he grabbed a halbard off a fallen gnoll and went to work. Weapon breakage can be a real problem in some situations though. One time, I was playing as a druid and I was on level 1, by myself. I was in the second area and got attacked by Xvarts. I killed one easily, then had a long exhausting battle with the other. It was very dramatic too, we were on what appeared to be the edge of a cliff, and a thunderstorm started up during the fight. Anyway, the point is, my dagger broke as I was fighting and so the little bastard almost killed me. Fortunately I still had a Shillelagh or I'd have been in some trouble.

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Doh! There was an Iron crisis in Amn, not a wood-crisis ;)

16. Sol'Kanar Guest

Well, they could try wooden swords, though I don't think that'd solve the weapon breaking problem somehow....

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Indeed not a great idea :) But if everybody started to fight with clubs and quarter staffs. they wouldn't have much problem. Maybe that explains why there are so many druids in the game :)

18. Thalantyr Guest

Humm no weapon has ever broke for me.

Maybe it was the Mages and The Rangers using bows.

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] A mage? using a bow? Have you been in wonderland all this time? Mages can't use bows! The only form of ranged attack is missile weapons i.e. darts etc. and slings! Man! A mage usin a bow! I hear a new one everyday! Keep em' rolling!

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

hehe. I suppose he emans his ranger and mage uses Range attack weapons normally :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.