1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I heartily appreciate mature forum posters

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by teekc, Dec 5, 2004.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Really.

From time to time you might get chance to go to other forum, but no one, nihil, none of them can compare with Boards O' Magick. One word reply with no constructive comment, you can't get them here. Flat out flamming aming to insult more than anything, you can't get them here. L33t comments, you can't find them here, almost. Even kids who come here make intelligent post. In one forum when answering a problem to a game, i suggested to play with the console/cheat code. What did i got? Flames, you cheaters, grow up you, haha clown. Wonder why i wanted to offer help at all.

No, i do not start this thread as a rant. i remember last year i entered another Chinese based KOEI games forum. Very soon, i found irritated by the constant unconstructive one word reply. One chinese character (one word) is really unconstructive. To make the situation worse, signature that has image that is bigger than than my monitor.

Board O'Magick is really a good place to hang out. You see, the magic here makes you more mature and feels intelligent. Actually it's the non-negotiable, uncomprimisable, unimaginable cruel moderators who forced you to make good post. Still, it's a good place to be in.

[ December 05, 2004, 07:59: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In my experience, Vanilla truly is the best flavor: simple, consistent, reliable and undeniably tasty.

3. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Mmmm...vanilla...nothing else comes close.

OK, maybe strawberry.

Yes, speaking of the people on these boards, nobody else comes close.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think that the intelligence requirements add just the right spice...

5. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Maybe I'm overtired, but I don't get whatever the last 3 posts were about. Politely, "Whaaaaaaa?"

Getting back to the original topic, I couldn't agree more. One of my favorite things about BoM is the lack of signatures.. kudos to the mods.

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

OMFG u wrigt!

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I wouldn't say this place is devoid of flaming or insulting, these boards get their share of stupid posts, but they are fewer than on the majority of message boards.

The great thing about the internet is that everyone has a voice. The bad thing is that everyone has a voice.

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

teekc, I am going to prove you wrong. There is one spammer who have been here since December 2002 and now have around 5500 posts, isn't that spamming if anything?

Darn those Chev's. ;)

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Righto!

Good form!

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    It's always good to be appreciated! :evil:

But seriously, I put this board on the course of quality over quantity right from the beginning, and I've never regretted it. Scratch our rules and strict enforcement of them and we'd probably have 3 times as many members registered (and 10 times as many posts, if people were allowed to reply to their own posts), but it'd be a board I wouldn't be able to feel proud of. But as it is now, I think I'm justifiably proud of what BoM as a community has evolved into. Threads like this one pop up occasionally and only strengthen my resolve.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, not to burst anyone's bubble, but the generally mature and intelligent nature of SP members is exactly what made me decide to sign up.

So you all have Tal to blame for my presence here.

:p

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You might as well wonder how long it lasts. Personally, I think it's good that there are so few spam posts, unlike on some OTHER boards that have the creativity but not the moderation. Hopefully it, moderation, will not get too far either, like on ANIMESUKI where everything is moderated as if to stiffle majority of the fresh discussion.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah. So many mature members, makes one wonder what you are doing here. :p

Thank you, oh thank you. :shake: :lol:

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

LOL, Gothmog.

Most of this has been said before but it is worth repeating. These really are quality Boards.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think we've reached the optimum balance in regards to moderation by now... same goes for the rules we enforce. I haven't made any major changes to the rules in over a year; only widened the explanations of several rules. Things are running smoothly, and that's what every moderator is striving for.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The BoM is truely a model message board...every other message board out there sould use the BoM as the perfect examply of how thier boards should be!

Kudos to the all powerful Tal! :thumb: :rolling:

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yay or nay in any message boards lies in the moderators. You need strict semi-fascistoid pricks who never crosses the line into too blatant powertripping. ;) I have encountered a few boards which managed that but they are not many.

To not lavish all the praise upon Tal and BTA I think the topic of these boards have something to do with the quality as well. I have noticed that forums discussing certain topics tend to be more organised than others, examples would be rpg's, strategy games (turn based) and literature. It is possible to find abysmal examples of forums for all those topics but all tightly regulated forums with intelligent sensible mature people I have found have been on those topics.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

We're just like little children. We need rules, structure, and discipline in order to be happy. :)

I especially like the fact that there are none of those neon, flashing, epilepsy-inducing whole-page-swallowing, ultra-repetive, unfunny-quote-quoting SIGNATURES that plague other boards.

19. teekc Gems: 23/31

originally i used "i heart mature forum posters" as the title like from the movie "I Heart Huckabees". i thought it is more ...eh... colourful.

20. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I was actually thinking of posting a topic like this myself. I've seen quite a few other message boards, and ick. Immature moderators suck! And there are lots of idiots out there too.

BoM is like a retreat where there are other fantasy fanatics aren't a bunch of gibbering morons. There's a real warm atmosphere here, its what makes me keep coming back. You guys are all great! :thumb:

A toast to Tal and the other moderators! :beer:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.