1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The New SP Design is Up!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

WOW that is a brand new beautifull face. Cool allthough it took a long time to bring it up Tal it was well worth it :thumb:

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Gopher:

100% viewport, you mean? Or 100% parent height for non-block child elements. Div nesting doesn't work in W3C DTDs and therefore there's no such thing as child divs having 100% of parent div's height. Three column layout is doable in CSS so long as the columns don't need to be of the same height, unless: 1) you have it all in fixed positions 2) all of it is contained with 100% viewport whereby the problem doesn't exist. To synchronise dimensions of objects is impossible without tables.

Certain things will not work in CSS alone and that's where tables come useful. Tables are still valid elements even in XHTML Strict.

That they don't work in certain browsers is a secondary concern. What's more, there are more browsers that screw up styles than those that screw up tables.

Of course, certain tags (like H1 to H7) aren't allowed in TD's, but hey, that's why <p>'s and spans have configurable font sizes and all.

@Rogue Paladin:

"CSS three column 100% height all the way down problem" as your loooong keyword should do ;)

There's no problem with three column layout so long as the height is a specified number of pixels or a percentile value or whatever such. However, it's impossible to have, for instance, background containers stretch to wrap around text. It's impossible to have what I have at http://www.chevalier.szm.com with CSS alone so long as the W3C DTD is specified. If you use a short Doctype definition without the full reference to W3C's DTDs, it will work in most browsers thanks to DIV nesting - one column is BODY showing, another has a big margin-left and another's child div has a big margin-right as well, therefore giving you three layers. Fixed header and footer with float:left and float:right corner graphics finish the job. But it won't work in properly W3C compliant code.

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It's perfectly doable...

Header uses background image in a div to do the top, footer for the bottom and a main background div with repeated-down graphic as the border.

Anyway, this discussion is way off topic.

4. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I go away for four days and this happens!

I was in shock when the first page had loaded. The good kind of shock though. It's still somewhat unfamiliar, but it looks much better and much more professional than the last design.

Good work, tal! :thumb:

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Only in a fixed width. Otherwise it won't work. I might create some sites with a fixed width - after all, it really has some significant advantages, but sometimes, when a site is text intense and devoid of fancy graphics, I prefer to have it scale to the user's resolution - be it the standard (for websites) 800*600, or the on-the-rise standard 1024*768, or whatever bizarre thing such as 3456*864 or the old 640*480 (I have a large share of visitors with uncommon resolutions on that site). No matter how you put it, tables are still better for some tasks than CSS. With whatever resolution you view my site, or SP, the border will still work properly, placing itself on the edges as it should. CSS won't make it.

The current SP design is one of such examples. The problem is the same as with my site - there's no way to achieve the same effect with divs and CSS without forcing a specific resolution. Specific resolutions suck for anything else than portal layout a la PHP nuke and the like - with no border and just floating menus on either side of the middle text container. SP is not one of such sites, however.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As Gopher said, this has gone quite off topic. Now either carry this conversation to PM or another thread in Whatnots, or stop it here. Thanks.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

One thing that I thought was a little funny is the "Help Wanted" graphic is in the Diablo font.

Looks purty sweet there Tal.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Very nice. :thumb:

9. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Nice work, Tal.

10. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

As I said at RB I love this new layout! Great work!

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Might have been a subconscious hint of the diabolic torments awaiting all those who sell their souls to the advancement of SP and eventual worldly dom... :evil: err, I mean, I have no idea what you're referring to, I'm sure. :good:

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I like the new look. It's colorful but easy on my eyes. You do a good job Tal.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can't get the Friendly Arms Inn links to Top Talkers, Who's Online, and Channel Stats to work.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh yeah... fixed now, thanks.

15. Hanna Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This page from Apple about Safari's CSS support might be helpful in tracking down what might be the root of the problem. If you're using an unsupported CSS selector in Safari, then maybe there is an easy alternative or if there is no alternative, then at least you'll know exactly what the problem is and we can send in a bug report to Apple so they will add support for that in the next version of Safari.

I really would appreciate it if you didn't write off Safari as a browser not to code for, even if it's difficult for you to do live testing. I'm sure there are enough Mac folks and enough support on the web for you to at least know what the problem is and yell at Apple that it's making you look bad, because a lot of people visiting who are using Safari won't know why it doesn't look good and will blame you, even though it's not your fault.

That's not fair, so we should make sure we point out to Apple that they're lack of support for some CSS is making you look bad to Safari users. If enough people submit bugs, they'll fix it.

------

Ah, no wonder it doesn't work in Safari.

The page can't be validated by the W3C Validator. Looking at the source, I couldn't even begin to help with this. Not that it's written poorly, I'm sure you did a fine job, just that it's not based on any standard that I even kinda understand,

From looking at the source, it looks like you are using nested tables (I didn't look that closely, though, but there are a lot of tables) and I'm guessing that the tables for the sidebars are missing something that Safari expects to be there. I would look into it more, but I don't have time to do the things I'm supposed to be doing and I'm not even sure why I'm writing this because it's only going to get me into trouble.

And the last thing I need is more trouble in my life.

Anyway, usually if the W3C Validator fails on a page, it means it's not going to render in someone's browser and so you were coding and looking at browsers and seeing if it looked okay. That's understandable. I do that. I don't think our site validates (for different reasons, but our site definitely doesn't validate).

Validation is good, though. Someday I'll go through and get our site to validate. Then it's a lot easier to blame a browser for poor support. As it is, one can't really blame Safari for it. Safari will render pages that validate, unless they use CSS that isn't supported by Safari, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I should shut up now.

[ July 29, 2004, 02:26: Message edited by: Hanna ]

16. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Been cruisin' around, checking out the new design for the past few days.

Looks good. Two thumbs up to all involved, (Tal and Catbert are the only two I know of that were involved).

17. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I likee!! I'm only workin part-time now, once i get a full-timer i think i may look into becoming a donater to your site, which i have always said is THE best site for CRPGin' and D&D whatnots. I hope i never have to go that long without a SP fix again. ;) Tal, Berenator, etc. keep up the excellent work!

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Hanna, CSS is the problem. If Safari supported CSS properly like any other modern browser (Mozilla, IE, Opera etc.) it would work just fine there. So telling Apple to make a browser that doesn't require special coding would be a better idea. Just because something validates on W3C (or not) is no guarantee by itself that it will show on Safari. The things that make the design not pass on the W3C validator are of no consequence to the rendering (which is obvious enough by the fact that everything but Safari and text browsers show the design fine).

I could make (and will when I have some free time) a few easy fixes to make pages validate completely on W3C, but they still wouldn't show properly on Safari. Sorry.

19. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, m'lady, you should.

If we should not write off Safari as a browser to code for, then we probably should improve our parking spaces to accomodate riding camel parking. I, personally, have never seen a camel, not to mention one who needed a parking space, but hey, if there are camels, than a chance is that there are some people who use them to commute. God forbid for us to offend them in any way. Jokes aside, but Safari compatibility is not our priority (and not anyone's). The market share simply does not justify the expenses, as somebody more clever than me would say.

Please, don't stick W3C in my face here. It should be obvious that due to the time SP has been around and been accumulating content (old as it is, we still need to present it to our visitors), a huge [bleep]ing lot of our content is intrinsically invalid. The site is and has always been made by fans and for fans for long years now, before the standards you mention were even known to anyone except for the people who make them.

If you're so disappointed about the illegitimacy of SP standard-wise, please find someone who'll rewrite a metric [bleep]ton of SP pages in a nice, shiny, and valid form. I'll safely say that we are not going to decline any sort of volunteer assistance in that area. Otherwise, sorry. If Dr. Jake Nielsen can make a living on standardizing other people's websites, it simply means that we cannot afford it.

Certainly, we'd like to please everyone, but making the markup work in the major browser engines was not a pretty thing as is. And once again, making it work properly in obscure browsers will hardly justify the effort. I'm sure the SP team has better things to do than that.

ps. If you wish to complain to Apple about the lack of support for standard css selectors in their magic browser, please do. They might even fix the usability as long as they decide on the profitability of the venture.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.