1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turning 30

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, it's official. I have now left behind my 20s forever. Technically, this happened yesterday, but I was too busy doing training at work (not the most exciting present). Anyway, I was looking at the pros in cons, and was hoping for advice for people who "have been there" so to speak. I'm older now - a definite con - but I'm still young enough to enjoy the active lifestyle of my 20s. Also, once you hit 30, is it reasonable that people will take you more seriously when you talk? That they will consider you no longer "young" or "wet behind the ears"?

Thoughts and comments welocme...

[ May 26, 2004, 17:02: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, first off, happy birthday, and welcome to your twilight years. :p :D

As far as pros go, you will definitely become wiser, more personable, and generally a much better person. ;) :D As for cons, your body will begin to complain when you push it too hard (but, at 30, you've still got a ways to go before that happens).

Oh, absolutely! Why, just look at the high regard everything I say on these Boards is held! :p :shake:

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Happy Birthday, buddy! A year supply of Depends™ and a subscription to the AARP newsletter are in the mail! A much better present than work training. :hahaerr:

Well, according to Splunge, I'm 10 years older than I really am. So in that case I can say that turning 30 is great. ;)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Aldeth, was your birthday the 25th? If so, so was mine!!! Although I hit the big 3-5, not the big 3-oh! You can still get away with being slightly immature until 35 now. I read it in a book somwehere...

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Congrats Idiot! You can still be a teenager if you had celebrated your 19th for the 11th time! :)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    For the last 30 years, so you're exactly 5 years older than me.

It would have to be the 12th really - the first one (when I actually DID turn 19) does count towards the total.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Happy birthday. You will be taken exactly as seriously as your words deserve and certainly no more (although possibly less if you make faces when talking). Also, I found that my metabolism was not significantly impaired at 30 (35, however, was a whole 'nother story). You can rest assured, however, that nature is getting ready to be done with you and your best physical years are right now or behind you, so lay off the pizza, work out and it all won't make a bloody difference anyway. :)

8. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Happy birthday Aldeth. I think the 30's do give you the distinguished scholar title. Congrats! :)

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Damn. Yes, that would be an aspect of age I am trying hard to circumvent. I've given up aerobic exercises, but I have turned into a weight lifting machine. The way I see it, if you are a serious runner from high school, and keep up with it, you aren't going to be as good by the time you hit your 40s. However, weight lifting can be productive throughout your 30s, 40s, and in many cases, even your 50s. So that's where I'm at now. I can lift anything you want, but if I started running, I'd probably get about 100 yards and be out of breath.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

All downhill from here :wave:

11. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Its either that or people start thinking your becoming senile and thus start not listening to you :p

12. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Only for as long as your joints hold out. You've got to start to worry about things like that now. ;)

For example, I could not do much of either due to weak knees (high school abuse) and a bad back (college stupidity). However, walking seems to work just fine.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Happy birthday and congrats. You've almost done with this stage. Have you scheduled the funeral yet? ;)

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Chevalier, you're such a optimistic person -I'm sure he will be thinking enough of it when the boom of 50 hits. :rolleyes:

Actually, it's downhill from the day you turn 18, or so my teacher used to say. :D

15. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Aldeth, age is completely subjective. Everyone that is younger than you is going to tell you that 30 makes you old. Everyone that is older than you is going to remind you about how old they feel. You could be 20 and die choking on your tongue in the night. You could be 90 with blurry eyes and deaf ears and no family. Live your life and enjoy what you can and learn from what you can't.

Edit: By the way, Happy Birthday ;)

16. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Remember, hobbits are considerd kids until they hit 33. So enjoy a few more years!

I'll turn thirty in a few months. My body has already been giving me trouble for the past few years, but I can still ride a bike and lift great weights and catch a wave, so I guess I'm not dead yet.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The depressing part is not knowing why you are sore or in pain. When I was 18, if I did a lot of work outside one day, and my back was sore the next day, it was easily explained by the large amount of labor I did the day before, and the next day, I was fine. Now, sometimes I don't do anything but sit at a desk all day, and I STILL wake up with an aching back some mornings, and I can't explain why my back hurts. That's what really sucks. Things start to break that never used to break before.

18. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Happy Birthday. 30 isn't old! What the hell is everyone talking about!? :D ;)

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Don't worry, Aldeth. I'm 21 and feel the same way you do. Getting senile is a pain :(

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I agree with this statement completely. I think the issue is that you are considered YOUNG when you are in your 20s, but NOT YOUNG when you are in your 30s. It's not so much that I think I'm old, but that I feel I'm not young any more. It's hard to explain, but believe me, it is more than a semantic difference I'm talking about here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.