1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I've been cheated out of gamplay

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TelexStar, Oct 17, 2000.

1. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I've heard loads about these bonus cd's that you get with collectors editions etc etc, and I recently posted a topic about a problem that I had defeating some beholders on the Unseeing eye quest. Someone replied saying that when you get to the underdark quest there are LOADS of them put not to worry as you can get the sheild of Balduran which reflects all their rays - only problem is that you can only get it from a vendor on the bonus cd. I could'nt beleive it, I feel like I've got an unfinished game. While alot of other people will be adventuring with a relective sheild, I'll be stuck battling through a ton of beholders (which aren't easy pickings!).

What can I do to get these bonus CD's - are they available seperatly

2. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG]
    The extra stuff on the cds are to be released as addons which can be downloaded from the web but as yet I have not been able to find them on any website.

3. mountain-mike Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Gentlemen, as has been posted elsewhere here, the items are accessible through the Shadow Keeper character editor, which is very easy to use (see Editors, Hacks & Custom Characters at sorcerers.net). Using this wonderful programme it is possible to 'give' your character such items. If you want to be painstakingly honest and don't want to spoil your game-play, you can always save your game, sell the item to a vendor, find out how much it would cost to buy and then re-load after deducting the amount from your hoard... How about that for honesty?, assuming that you can resist the temtptation to tinker further with SK that is ;)

4. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

That sounds good! Do you know if this app includes all the items contained on the bonus cd?

Where can I download it from ??

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Bioware is releasing these extra and bonus CDs as add-ons to be downloaded? I highly doubt that. The amount of people that spent extra money on pre-ordering, or ordering the Collector's Edition would freak. Here they are dishing out their own money for something a little "extra" and suddenly it becomes free on the net? Don't count on that.

The only places you'll come across these CDs are those who pirate it, and that's all it comes down to. For myself, I don't think anyone should ever be treated special because they order first or have an extra $20 to blow for a CD packed with items.

The shield is an added bonus, but the game is very beatable without it and even with the Beholders. Strategy is what wins this game and the different solutions to each problem builds the depth that BG2 is known for.

It's not like Ultima Online, where all the magic strategy was the same - Magic Reflection - Magic Missile - Energy Bolt - Energy Bolt - Energy Bolt.

Mix it up. Prepare yourself for the encounter with the Beholders and knock 'em dead.

Syl...

6. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Bioware seem to have changed their mind on this issue as before release they were quoted saying the addons would be available.

To quote 'http://www.bgdungeon.com/bg2/downloads.htm'
    "It is no longer available for download since bioware does not think it is a good idea to make your gaming experience complete unless you paid them the money to do so. I said at the beginning that I was not in favor of making a rich man's and a poor man's version of the game and let's hope that bioware has not started a new habit for themselves or a new trend among the gaming industry"

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That post means nothing. It is not an official mention by Bioware, it's simply a site that was offering the pirated .ZIP versions of these CDs and a site that does not agree with how Bioware distributed these CDs. (the rich vs poor comment), where as those who dished out the cash got the extra CDs while those who do not have the extra cash miss out.

As I said before, it won't available by Bioware as a free download, but is available by those who pirate it.

Syl...

8. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

I don't think that these CD's should be pirated, but I do think its a bit of a joke to release bonus CD's with a couple of new vendors! I mean surely that doesn't take 600MB! Don't get me wrong, I think BioWare have done a great job with BG2, I just think that its a bit of scam.

Example: I pre-ordered BG2 a few days before it was released in the UK from EB. I did'nt even know you could get a collectors edition. I now have a copy of a game with no way of getting these bonus CD's. What will probably happen is the publishers will release the 2 bonus CD's for the 'very reasonable price' of around £15

I don't mind the fact that they released a collectors edition, I mind that they have made additions to the gameplay and put another price on it. Buying the game is'nt enough for them, they have to charge you more money for some vendors that any other game company would have released in a patch!

Complaint over! Sorry.

Telex

9. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Well I was one of those that had the extra few bucks to spare ($10 buck diff here in Southern Cal). I had read that yes a bonus CD is included as well as a 'Cloth Map' and extra (silly) goodies. I wanted the cloth map (which now is no big deal because you cant get to most locations without a quest) because I ruin the paper one's real quick.

As far as the extra vendor items -they are nice. Expensive but nice.

Yes you can beat the beholders w/o the Shield of Balduraan. Tactics. I enjoyed the Unseeing Eye quest so much I played it with the Shield and then again sans the Shield. But it definitely was harder.

However I wish to note that there is a place in the UNDERDARK that I cannot comprehend how someone would survive unless they wished to spend major hours tediously fighting an onslaught of Beholders and Gausts. You will be shocked by the numbers.

Marketing greed or not, I'm glad I got the CD so that I could have the Shield of Balduraan. Not everyone can up the extra bucks understood. Perhaps when the vendors 'restock' (as mentioned in the game, the vendors restock once) some item will be avialable to help. Not even the Cloak of Reflection does what the Shield of Balduraan does.

10. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Use elementals and aerial servants. They seem to be immune to beholders and gaunts. At least it works in the unseeing eye quest.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sigh...
    Do any of you actually read the posts here before you reply to them? mountain-mike posted how you can easily get all of the items since they're all in the game, whether you have the collector's edition or not.
    Go to http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2 and click on the Editors, Hacks & Custom Characters link in the menu. Download Shadow Keeper. Install SK. Look for any of the collector's edition items you want and add them to your game if you so desire.

12. nicksull Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There is a Mirror Cloak (I think that's its name) that will reflect the Beholder gaze attacks in much the same way. I never bothered with the Shield of Balduran.

13. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

Taluntain.

Whats the 'sigh' for???

Maybe I worded my post a bit wrong. I did'nt mean to sound like I was moaning at not having the Balduran sheild! I was just saying that I don't like the idea of charging gamers for extra gameplay additions. I can understand charging more for a collectors edition when it has stuff like cloth maps in, as these are things some people like to collect. I just feel that adding a few exclusive items that give you a major advantage over areas of the game, and charging you for them is a bit low. I know you can download SK (I have done and am very happy) but thats not the point in my view.

Anyway, The game still rocks! I've just had to teach those beholders a thing or two about the importance in visiting the opticians! Its very easy to err, how shall I say, run into pointy objects!!

Telex

14. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have this cloak, and I saw 5 beholders, 1 elder orb and 4 Ganth's die in less than 10 secs. However protect yourself against charm, as I was direcharmed, and so didn't get any XP's.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    TelexStar I totally agree with you. I definitely disagree and disapprove of "collector's editions" and I never buy them.
    The sigh was for the fact that people ask about stuff here that EVERYONE should now by now they can get from Sorcerer's Place, at www.sorcerers.net/Games/
    Plus for the fact that the lack of having those collector's edition CDs poses no problem because you can easily get those items with Shadow Keeper.
    Seems like more and more people come here to the boards without even realizing that these boards are but a part of a huge d&d game support site. Check it sometimes and you'll see what I'm talking about. :p

16. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

Thanks, I'll take a look.

T

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.