1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nickname origins

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by LKD, May 11, 2003.

1. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Frostbite. If you've played Icewind Dale I, then you'll see that my username is completely lacking in imagination.

Used to be something quite weird... DinoTiggy I think, changed it some while back when I got my avatar. That was just a very random mistake that turned into my username.

the majority of people I've asked like Frostbite better then my last username. Its easire to remember too for some reason.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] 8people - well, probably the simplest name with the strangest of explainations. Before I have refrained from saying why it is what it is. So i shall givemy title: I hear the voices. I see it all. I am the outcast of all outcasts.

The first part is the clue.

3. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I once heard of this guy on line who was named "Random Insanity." I like the name, but wanted something more original. This is the result of 15 minutes with a thesaurus. I was originally "fauzman," from my last name fausnaugh, mainly because I wanted to start posting rather than think of a good name. However, someone in the chat said it was slightly feminine, because of the "tia" at the end....so i might change it.

4. Mariana Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Mine is the name of a character I created. She is a drow cop in the modern age. I decided to use her name because her website and webcomic are my pet projects right now...that and I just like the name. :)

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    CoDe: Simply change tia in tio :D

I once was in love with a girl called Mariana, and yes, she was a black girl. How appropriate...
    Her last name was Wieske, so we used to call her Marihuana Weedske... 'Harhar'

About my name: I just am a master-of-none.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm Mariana, you have blatantly ripped off the name of my mother! That aint no drow name! *glares*
    ;)

7. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I used the nick "Prophet" or "Prorok" (Croatian word meaning prophet)for a looong time, but I got tired of the nick cause there are far too many prophets on the web. So, I started thinkig up a new nick....I scoured books for inspiration and, finally, I found the angel Malachi. The rest, I think, is obvious.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Foxz, came from the need to get a unique but cool and familiar cover-tag to make up for my real name which I didn't want to reveal to other players to begin with. It was right when the X-Files had started, so I chose the Fox as the name of the coolest "sci-fi series" character at the time. And for some added effect and uniqueness, the "z" was put in the end.

I used Foxz for several years until it became apparent that the net was getting too wide for a nick with just 4 characters. There were several Foxzes around there somewhere (well duh) making me feel less unique each day. So I pondered for around 2 weeks trying several seemingly cool and original nicks so I could see how the looked in "action" so to speak. When finally I found that "Kaze no Ichimei" would mean "Wind of Life" in Japanese. I wanted that. But I was convinced by some other familiar people that no matter how great a purpose there was behind the nick, a directly copied "phrase" from another language (let alone something that would've become "Kazenochi" or something like that) would sound everything but unique and cool. It would in fact be just a modern example of what nerds in their beginning puberty would come up with.

So incidentally I thought about it a bit more, and finally decided that with what I knew about Japanese, there was no way I would get "Life" into my nick without making it look real stupid. So I took the opposite (which was sort of a lie since I specifically did not want to use death in it). Shin/Shine. At the same time some old anime or some other such idea hit my head the word "tiger" (which I thought described me pretty well, being very close to a Lion in nature (I also checked lion, but even not remembering the word, it was something unfitting)). So, combining tiger(Tora), with death(Shin/e), putting them in the right order, and as a final flavour adding the beginning letter of my previous nick Foxz, I got Forashi ( Foxz, tORA, SHIn/e), or Forashin... used them both.

And... quite recently (in the last year or so) I became bored with the Forashi and decided to experiment something sounding more like "fantasy". After reading a few Elminster books, I decided my new name (for fantasy purposes only) would be Foradasthar. It's long, seems cool to me at least, has a good history, and definitely one of a kind (13 letters combining a fictional character's name, 2 words japanese, and an essence of fantasy is a far better chance to get something weird and uncommon). Only problem with it seems to be that when an English person looks at it, he probably sees it as something like "For" "a" "dasthar"(whatever that would mean). Which really makes it look stupid. But, you can't get everything right I guess.

Quite a novel huh? Well you can't get any more acurrate than that.

Best story and nick I can think of though is with one of my friends. "Valvoja" means about the same as "Watcher" or "Overwatcher" or something in English. But since he noticed that the nick was actually used by some moderators to describe their status in a Finnish discussion forum/channel (well duh again, as another translation could as well be "Moderator"), he changed it according to a character in Final Fantasy Tactics, to "Valquis". The best nick which I know, of course, being his newest; (a bit over a year old nick) "Valquirion". Now that's cool, sounding definitely like the mage of immense power that the nick is often used for. The mere nick already shows the cloak and long white hair flowing about his character (as they should).

[ May 26, 2003, 23:03: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My name, as I've probably stated before, was a word my friends and I made up as a large string of profanities. I use this everywhere just because I hate needing numbers for names, and nobody else uses it.

10. Bulges Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, my name was originally a derogatory comment on my size as a kid. I was quite...large.
    But as a teen-ager, I started eating right and exercising and lost the nick.
    A few years later, I met a girl I knew in highschool, and she reminded me of my nick. Only it still fit me, but for other reasons. We got together (my first girlfriend) and she kept calling me it. Soon it stuck and my other friends started calling me it. When I became a dancer, I kept it as my stage name.
    Now everyone who knows me calls me Bulges. Well, everyone but my Mom and Dad.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

My former name used to be C'Jakob. My name before that was creudzfeldt-jakob - a nightmare to type, doubtless. The last means Mad Cow Disease (although in retrospect, I realize I spelled it wrong). I got it from a certain X-Files show, where Mad Cow Disease was transmitted via cannabalism.

Oaz doesn't stand for anything, except that it is probably equally un-pronouncable as C'Jakob.

12. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I liked C'Jacob very well. But that's up to you :)
    Anyway my name is part self-invented:
    Djizzu--> Sounds kinda elvish, but I don't like elves and it's self-invented.
    G'izmo--> I once heard about a DJ Gizmo and thought that was cool. BTW have any of you played Shinig Force II, in that game there's something called "gizmos" :D

13. Bhaerau Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My nick came from a time when I was eating a meatball and french fries while creating an elven mage. It's pretty unique and I sort of grew attached to it.

14. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

2 guesses where mine is from. The lovely lord of the underworld, Beezlebub. Of course, I don't want to be known as Satan every time I log on, so I made this one instead. Quite simple. I have two other names that I go by. The first is my email address, planetar99. This I created about 5 years ago for a hotmail address. I had just got my first ADnD user manuals, and I was going through the monster manual and found this. It's got an awesome picture to go with it as well. The other is ArchAngel, and I use this when I play Quake 3. Quite simply, I wanted something to complement planetar, and my brother went with ArchFiend. Simple jump.

15. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Beelzebub. You need to read your New Testament more closely... :rolleyes:

Actually in Hebrew Beelzebub does not mean Satan. It means "Lord of the Flies". The greek New Testament has this understanding for some reason.

If you want something "satan like" then why not "Shaytan" from Wheel of Time. It's rather authentic actually...

Then the Gremlins were called "Mogwai" which is Cantonese for monster or demon...

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Khazraj and his languages ;) :grin:

Anyway my nick is nothing original, its just a bit hard to come by so it looks new :rolleyes: .
    It just looks great to me and typing speed is awsome by now ;) Try typing it a few times and you'll know what i speak about.

Those numbers after the name are just nonsense, but necessity as i cant use it without them. One guy seemed to register a few years ago wearing the same name. The thing is i dont know if that was aleady me, only that i forgot. I just know i've been on SP as a guest quite some time before i registered.

17. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Erebus is the Greek god of darkness...and it sounds cool.

18. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Actually, "Erebus" was the 'home' of Hades(or the land of the dead, if you prefer), god of death and the dead. I don't know anything about god of darkness, though.

19. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Gothmog.

Know I have the chance...evil grinning and rubbing of hands...

I always wanted to ask if "Gothmog" is from Tolkien's literature?

If not does it mean anything to you?

20. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

[​IMG] Gothmog = Sauron (or was that Melkor?) :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.