1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nickname origins

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by LKD, May 11, 2003.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This has probably been done before, but it hasn't been done recently, and there's new members like me who haven't seen it done for everyone. The question is, what is the etymological origin of your nick? Or, in plain English, why did you choose the nick you have?

Mine is the character that I played for a few years of PnP, and when I became DM, I graduated him to a role similar to Elminster ( but done much better than some of that cheesy trash!) Keldin usually kicked off the storyline or showed up when my incompetant players couldn't take a hint even when administered via sledgehammer.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I settled on SS because it deals primarily with the members of SP. Sorry in advance if it should have gone on Whatnots.

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mine is take from a character in a book, called Iago. I think it suits my internet personality well, or better, fits like a glove. Iago changed to Yago, because usally someone had already taken the names Iago and Jago, leaving me only with an Y as option. To not overcharge my own memory, I decided to stay always with Y.
    My sig usally is: "We cannot all be masters, nor all masters cannot be truly followed." But as I have not contributed to this side, I have neither sig nor avatar. Maybe one day, but not now.

And there is always the connection to santiago matamoros, a saint who's a devilish sinner.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

My nickname is a name I just came up with and the "a.k.a Rutkowski" is my family name from Poland from where I heritages and I will soon change to "Rutkowski" only.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    My nickname is a misspelling of "Arabel", originally,.. Once, in a time long gone I was making characters for a game that never was, and one was a total Raistlinclone called Arabel Rayt. At one point, I had to change her name to somethin masculine (running out of males at the point) and I added a few letter, but later, I changed it back... But accidentally left the "w" in the middle. Theb, later, I picked the name as my Yahoo ID, and have since then used the name for the "special" characters I have plahyed... (And there still is that Marysue Starwars fic I want to write starring an Arabwel Rayt :D )

A typo that stuck, that's the story of my life... er, name.

(*sniffles* Ah, the nostalgia... )

5. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  6. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well my name is a parody of "Casper The Friendly Ghost" you get the picture...

7. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My nick is the name of the first character I ever created in a D&D game. I don't remember how I picked it at the time, I was just looking for something short and sweet. ;)

8. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Enjan: You call that sweet? :grin:

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hey Ara, I thought the Rayt had an apostrophe in there somewhere...

Anyhow, Aikanaro a misspelling of the Quenya word aicanaro. The old version of it had a 'k' as the dictionary I was using at the time wasn't updated very well, and therefor hadn't got around to changing k's to c's.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You can go look in the old threads, but its more fun to type it out new.

Back in 1993 I was registering myself for internet access for the first time. I sat, trying to come up with something unique. A friend of mine actually had "conan@aol.com" (lost it since), and I was working on getting a cool name without numbers behind it.

Trying all the Arthurian names led nowhere. I then turned to my othe passion ... theology.

Mathetais is a koine greek word, meaning "disciple or student". As a follower of Christ, my goal is to be a life-long learner, reforming my life and practices continually.

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] One of the greatest generals ever...And the name of my first paladin character in DnD.

Belisarius was a general under the Byzantine emperor Justinian. He led an expeditionary force to Italy to recapture Rome...He was so good, he took bak much of the Western Empire.

Here's more about him if you're interested:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Belisarius

13. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My nick is a bit obvious(I think).
    Alexander the Great became the king of Macedonia (North Greece) when he was 16-years-old. He conquered(*liberated* is better) Egypt and most of Asia; his empire was extended from Greece to India. He crushed the Persian empire with his small yet fearsome army but -unfortunatelly- died 30-years-old when he was returning to Greece.
    And since my real name is Alexander, I'm 16 and I admire him I chose this nick. ;)

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sir John Chandos was one of the most famous English knights of the Hundred Years War. I chose "the red" not because of Eric the Red, the viking, but because when people in Texas hear my political views, they usually say something like: "That guy must be a red Commie." I'm not a "Commie," but nevertheless I always find it funny.

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Shouldn't you be Chandos the Pink then?

16. Alustriel a.k.a. Ashley Banned

Well, my brother and I decided that if we were to use a name on the boards, it would be a name that we used for our characters on CRPGs, followed by "a.k.a." and our real name. And since I didn't have a character starting with "a," I just used Alustriel.

17. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Lazy Bonzo was the name of my first BG1 character, a neutral evil fighter. He was sooooooooo coool! People would run up to him in the street and shout out loud "Lazy Bonzo! Lazy Bonzo! Come quick! There's monsters that you must slay by thin lazy hand oh great Lazy Bonzo" :heh:

18. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] If you change it to "Lazy Bozo" it will make more sense. :p

19. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Alexander several people have called me that on these boards and more commonly in chat (as well as other immature plays on the words). I will neither take offence nor stoop to your level, please grow up.

[edit] Apology accepted, see PM for details. Didn't add another post as was going waaaaaaay off topic.

[ May 12, 2003, 22:48: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

20. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

well, my favorite color is green, i constantly wear something green. before i underwent treatments for my condition, i had long usually tangled hair that resembled a lion's mane, hence Greenlion. as for the 420, if you don't know i won't tell and plain old greenlion was already taken when i signed up fo my e-mail account.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.