1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most hated character (NPC)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chelsea, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG]
    Just wondering what everyones most hated character was. i would have to say that it is a toss up between Aerie and Valygar. Aerie is an annoying whiny be-ach. Dunno what it is about Val, his voice maybe but he annoys the hell out of me....I would rather have Xan from BG1 in my party and that is saying alot.

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Minsc.

Syl...

3. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

ok ive gotta say Yoshimo, he sucks, might as well be an empty spot where he would be. I always dump him cept this time because i wanted to test something about Imoen, I mean yoshimo can find traps, but HE SUCKS! he cant cast spells, he cant take hits, he cant cause damage.... anyway thats my thought

4. Elebereth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Haer'Dalis, he's pretty useless as a fighter and not much of bard either.

Yoshimo's not all that bad if you duel him to a fighter early on.

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

well see what makes him worthless is the guy named Jan Jansen, because once u dual yoshimo he loses all his theivery skills, thus making him even more worthless

6. Elebereth Gems: 2/31

He only loses them for awhile but your probaly right if you want a thief then theres Jansen and if you want a fighter then you could pick up Keldorn or Valgar.

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

And if you want a decent character, you can take Imoen, but then, I think that's another post. However, I haven't found a good use for Cernd, Yoshimo, Mazzy, or Haer'Dalis. Some people like Cernd for his shapechange, but I just didn't find a use for it. Yoshimo is only in there for his plot. You can't exactly build a party with a character that will die one way or another regardless. I will never forgive bioware for giving Mazzy proficiency points in the short sword. That is a joke and I just don't have a use for a full time archer in my groups. But the worst of all is Haer'Dalis. He's got an annoying personality and sucks as a party member. He gets my vote hands down.

8. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well other than Anomen's constant questions I would choose Noober from BG1.

9. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Umm Recoil, I take it from your post that you didn't continue to talk to Noober. If you talk to him 30 times or so he gives you something (Can't remember what) and you also get some exp.

There is also another guy like Noober in Trademeet. You keep on talking to him about 30 times and he gives you some "pretty stones" which are actually sunstone bullets and are pretty cool.

10. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I know about the exp from Noober. I just meant that he was very annoying and I killed him quite a few times before I decided to just listen to him rant and rave.

11. Vile Gems: 8/31

I don't know what are you guys talking about? Noober was cool no matter what anyone says.

12. Maveroick Gems: 2/31

Seems everyone has their own little tastes about characters. Some rate on usefulness, others rate on how tolerable their random chats are. Some people rate them on whether or not they are a place where people go to make sandcastles by the ocean (beach).

No matter how you rate, most people will like different people. I personally liked Haer'Dalis. His talking about Entropy and Oblivion were rather dramatic and cool, and his last line at the end was cool. Though, if you rate Haer'Dalis on a usefulness scale, he's not supposed to be a good fighter or good bard, he's in between. Plus, he has magic, I liked that nice combination, kind of inbetween average dude.

I like Minsc, but I can understand how he can get annoying eventually with his loud voice and what not. But as a fighter type, he's quite good.

Aerie is a nice, sweet, kind-hearted elf thing. She seems to be naïve in the ways of the world and is only looking for someone to guide her along in life. I didn't really mind Aerie actually. Nice to have someone really sad and pathetic so that you know you really don't have that bad of a life after all. But really, she wasn't that bad. As a mage/cleric, that's the main reason I kept her. She can heal and kill, it's all good.

Yoshimo...well, Yoshimo was really annoying due to the thing that he does at one point in the game. Also, he did have a tendency to speak of himself in the third person, "Yoshimo is good." "Yoshimo will do that." which made him seem like some sort of a psycho. But the first time i played the game, I took him with me since he was the first thief I ran into, to find traps and use the Tuigan bow since, he had a tendency to die as well.

With my short spent time with Valygar, I could only find out that this guy had some familial problems as a child, what with wacky wizards and what not. But no matter. He's not bad really, personality wise and I like him because he uses Katana. However, I didn't keep him, just not really cool enough.

As for Cernd...he was like a walking book of "Metaphors and Similies of Nature". Constantly spouting out stupid lines about how people are like the reeds on a bamboo tree, ever bending but always flexing back and yada yada...Well, whatever. The only reason I'd keep him would be to challenge for Grove leadership, since he's a pure druid...or can he do that? Ah, whatever. I just thought it was cool to turn into a werewolf.

Mazzy...nice girl. Strange to be insanely proficient in short bow though, but still cool. I don't really like halflings too much but yeah, she'd be good in a fight.

Anomen, eh...How about this...
    Pros: Seems like a nice, righteous guy.
    Cons: Is a nice righteous guy.
    I dunno, I just don't like the whole 'goodness' and 'purity' junk he spewed at me when I first me him. Whatever, fighter/cleric is alright...kinda like Jaheira, only a cleric..and a guy...whatever.

I think that tops all the characters you've all dissed...except for...

Xan...How could you not like Xan? With his constant morbid quips about his pessimistic on how you were all going to die. Ah, Xan. The neat thing was that he had a big flaming sword, isn't that cool or what? Ah whatever, his main problem was that he couldn't cast magic missile. Good guy though, could summon animals.

Yeah, I've said a lot.

Mav

13. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Crawl, can you imagine a 4 foot halfling wielding a 6 foot two-hander :) :) :) .
    The short swords found in BGII aren't that bad.

[This message has been edited by Silroth (edited February 02, 2001).]

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Noober and Neeber were definitely bad...

As far as pc's: Jaheira and Haer D'Alise annoy me! I dropped Jaheira early on in BG, and I did it again after the Harper battle in BG2.

15. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] It's got to be Anomen, when I first heard the whiny: "what is it now!?!" was when I realised things were not going to work out, but I persevered, he is a good fighter with the right equipment and a healer, but once he started those mood swings...yoiks! was it back to the pub my lad? you betcha! go and m'lady...you disgust me...m'lady...let me kiss your....boots!...at someone else!

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, her 4 foot brother was wielding a 6 foot 2 handed sword in Trademeet. Why not her? Though I see your point, I still don't want a fighter poking around with a short sword. Might as well be a pixie prick. And there are some decent short swords, but none match up to the better long swords and other big boy weapons. And, again, I have no place for an archer. Imoen and Minsc are Ok with the bow, but I don't use bows a lot.

17. Chelsea Gems: 8/31

Mav - Surely you jest. Aerie is MAJOR annoying. Game mechanics made her and Nalia the most annoying I think.

Got really peeved when going into a major fight and setting myself ready she would butt in and ask if i wanted to hear th tail of her losing her wings....NO I BLOODY DO NOT, BOG OFF YOU ANNOYING BIMBO.

Similarly Nalia was always asking how we were helping the less fortunate WHILE WE WERE LIBERATING HER FAMILY.

Dunno what it was about Valygar but his annoying voice may have been something to do with it. Just plain annoying all round though.

have yo noticed that almost every PC (Minsc is an obvious exception) has dreadlocks....what is that about???

18. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] The artist has a braid fetish ?

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] First place: Anomen. His stupid portrait and his constand mourning (until he gets his knighthood) are a pain in the ***

Second place: Haer´Dalis - His even more stupid portrait and the sound of his voice are awesome. I haven´t tried to take him into my party yet and I guess it wouldn´t take too long till I kill that idiot.

Arie isn´t that bad. Yep, she´s crying all the time, but she´s good a back-up cleric & mage. Using these lvl-4 double-spells she can combine spells of both classes. Equipped with a good robe she gives really good support and I mainly user her on a Healer/ SEM-Mission (Supression of Enemy Magic :D )

20. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

I know what ya mean, Aerie can be a pain, but she has honestly got to be the most useful character for a good and even nuetral party.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.