1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Welcome PM

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] With the recent upgrade I now have the ability to send newly registered members a welcome message, something I have high hopes for. So here is the final draft of my welcome message (sans the links on words like forum rules, FAQ, etc. They'll be there in the real thing). Comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.

Welcome to Boards o' Magick!

Hello and welcome to the Boards o' Magick community, provided by Sorcerer's Place for your enjoyment. The purpose of this message it to make anyone who reads it go from :confused: to :).

NOTE: You REALLY do need to read ALL of this. If you do not, the first mistake you make will almost certainly be something that is covered here. So, to spare us all the trouble, please read this. Pretty please, with a cherry on top? Thank you!

We know that being new at anything is always hard. Here we will try to explain to you how things work around here so you can start posting as soon as possible. First and foremost, you should read the forum rules, if you haven't read them upon registering. Moderators and administrators strictly enforce these rules, and it is imperative that you read, understand and acknowledge all of them before you start posting at Boards o' Magick. All of the most common mistakes people tend to do are covered there.

Secondly, you should read the frequently asked questions list. Practically everything you most likely want (and need) to know about these boards is covered there. Registering, gems & ranking, custom avatars, portraits & titles, common acronyms, smilies, private messaging and much more is all explained there in detail.

Now that we're done with the most important things (whew!), just a few more general tips that will make your stay here much easier:

* Before you post in any forum, carefully read the description of that forum to see if what you want to post there is actually appropriate. (Forum description is the text below each forum title on the forum listing page, but can also be found inside the stickied Forum Guidelines threads on top of the thread listing in every forum.)

* If English isn't your first language (or is, but you slept through all the elementary school English classes), please bookmark and make use of this spelling checker on the text you want to post, BEFORE you actually post it on our boards. People are much more likely to respond to text they can understand in the first reading. And you will be much less likely to become the unfortunate recipient of the GMotW plaque. :eek: (See FAQ for more info.)

* If you want to chat in real time with many of the regular visitors of this message board, read this to find out how.

* Do not delete this message, but store it for future reference.

Congratulations! :thumb:

You are now properly equipped to deal with anything you might come across while exploring the Boards o' Magick. We hope you will soon become as integral a part of our community as many other people already are. Following the above guidelines, you simply cannot go wrong. ;)

Finally, if you have any questions related to Boards o' Magick or Sorcerer's Place, do not hesitate to ask. We are always here to help. Please don't think that simply because we state our rules in advance, we are overly strict in enforcing them and that we don't tolerate mistakes newbies tend to make. Nothing could be further from the truth. The worst thing you have to fear here is getting a warning PM from one of the moderators or administrators. Only repeat and deliberate violations of our rules are strictly sanctioned, but never anything that may happen with casual posting. In short - you don't need to be afraid to post for fear of making mistakes. We don't bite... much. :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Tal,

I think it's comprehensive and well-written. I would have said great but would sound to much like bootlicking. :D I for one would have benefitted from this. It's a good thing I didn't make any major booboos. I can foresee though that new members who still break the rules despite this message will receive a thorough whipping.

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yep. Sounds just right. Welcoming yet firm.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok then, we'll go with this.

5. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Do The Older Members get one?

6. Taluntain

Media:
    Nope... but I'll edit in the links into this one so you can use it for reference. ;)

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Maybe you could also blast them with a warning in traditional SP fashion. Failure to comply with the above rules shall land you with a fate worse than hell! ;)

8. Taluntain

Media:
    I don't want to scare them too much right away. :D

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Yeah, just scare the pants off them the microsecond they even think of breaking a rule ;) :p :rolling:

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would like to add alittle more friendliness to it. A bit more of "you are most welcome here and we appreciate that you have chosen us" kind of thing. Just pointing out the rules might lead them to think that we are a boorish snobbish lot. ;)
    Which we may be but they dont need to figure that out right away. ;)

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, that would kinda kill the intention of familiarizing them with rules and so on. I don't think they'd take it very seriously unless the message itself was written in such a manner. And there is a smiley at the end, after all. :p

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Smileys make the world go round :spin:

I think it's good - I just hope they actually red it and pay attention. :thumb:

Who would ignore the great lord Tal?

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mmmh, you're probably right, Tal. But I agree with Joacqin. It's a bit cold. There's one line where SP says how happy we are with the new member (Hello and welcome to the Boards O' Magick community, provided by Sorcerer's Place.) and the rest, let's say 15 lines, is 'Do this, Read that, You should, Do not'.
    I agree with you (Tal) that they must be familiarized with the rules/faq, but a litle more warmth wouldn't be too bad, IMHO.

Make them clear that they are most welcome (Joacqin-strategy) and that you want to keep your site clean for their own good, and therefore they should read the rules/faq etc.

Wouldn't you want to have links on the frontpage to the stickies or do I suggest something silly now? You know not every (new) member searches SS to see if there is something important going on. Most just skip right throuhg to their favorite forum and don't take knowledge of anything else, I think.

;) <--- hence the smily!

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    warmth?? now I can take care of that

/me grabs his flamethrower.. Need a light??

15. Taluntain

Media:
    OK, I edited it to make it more friendly. How does that sound?

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    That should scare them ;)

lol

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

LOL!
    Tal, your freaking me out with the friendly approach. Sure, its probably the right approach but its still freaky

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Here's to hoping people will actually read it :p

Good work Tal. :thumb:

Morgoth, let's keep it in style, shall we? *preps a flamestrike* :evil: :grin:

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

They should read it Faragorn. Otherwise, its BANNING TIME. :lol:

Great work Tal.

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cool Tal!

Nice to see what can be done with such a small edit. :thumb:

/me casts Protection from Fire

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.