1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

After the Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] OK, I'm more or less done with the upgrade now. I've applied all of the old hacks again... So feel free to comment on the present end result. :D

Btw, PM notification in mail used to deliver you the whole PM message. I made a sanity check here and removed the PM contents from the notification mail. Because, really, what's the point of having a PM system on the boards if they get delivered via mail? You now still get a notification of a new PM, but you need to get on the boards to read and reply to it.

2. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Nice work Tal. :D

3. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Good work Tal, I'm sure all those who haven't commented appreciate it too! Keep it up :thumb: !

4. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

overall it looks nice, but I find one minor drawback. The part one the homepage showing the last 5 topics replied to. First of all it hurts your eyes (but that could be me!) and secondly, I find it more interesting to see in which subforum a topic is located than which person has replied! :) because I don't have every game, it's quite usefull to see right from the start whether or not a topic is in the id2 forum or in the bg2 forum

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, I know... the older content island hack was much easier to work with. I'll hack this to add the forum name too. The layout will probably still the same till the site's redesigned and I can put it in a css... Or maybe I'll do it sooner, we'll see.

6. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Any ways of making stuff nicer and more user friendly are always kewl.
    Slightly confused on one thing though. You've already mentioned the 'Re:' thing. But, from browsing forum home, new topics are obviously as normal. But some topics show 'Re:' and some show '>', yet there appears to be no real reason.

I guess it's just coz things need a little time to catch up, like new posts to be made since changes.

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Good job, Tal! :thumb:

8. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] The changes are great! Two thumbs up !! :thumb: :thumb:

I like the feature where you see the the last person who posted. It let's me know that somebody has responded to a topic I'm particularly interested in.

Thanks Tal! :D

9. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

[​IMG] Nah, if you edit a post, it doesn't update the thread. Tried it myself at the Quote Game, but it didn't work.

Seriously good job on the site, Tal! The "You have 1 unread message" bit really helps! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] ooo! Nice work Tally. Very useful - I can now tell when someone has actually replied to my PMs and it overall looks better!

Shame the boards were down last night but to come back to this! YAY! I thought something was different when I came on :lol:

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Very nice, good job Tal! :thumb:

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Cheers Tal.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    OK, we have forum names in the active topics on the front page. ;)

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Thank you Tal. Your hard work and dedication make these the best boards on the web.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I just looked at the directory for the first time.

Is this just random? I hit refresh a few times and the Chaosmonkey was still the member of the moment.

Just curious ... and jealous (wanting to be member of the moment so I can take a screenshot and use it as Christmas cards next year)

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Hehe, yea, it's random. Probably changes every few minutes.

17. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Aaargh! Just when I thought SP couldn't get any better, you do THIS!
    Splendid, wonderful, great.

Now, why did we love our moderators?

18. Taluntain

Media:
    OK, I killed the distracting bold date in topic listing too. And gone on a sticky fest. :evil:

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Tal, I don't know how in the world it could be done.

But could you add a discriminating function to the script that checks to see if if the last post is a "sticky", and skips it in the "last post" running if it is?

It would be nice to see something other than:

;)

[edit: Oh. I see you were still updating them. Tweak, tweak, tweak!]

[ March 01, 2003, 11:11: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

20. Taluntain

Media:
    They'll only show for as long as they actually are what was posted last. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.