1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: User Rights?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by IaaA?, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IaaA? Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Do you guys know that we as users should have some rights? Do you know that this site is also supported by ad revenues based on the number of users?
    Now this is the question: Should moderators be allowed to break the rules of this site? Specifically, rude and insulting behavior, which is claimed in the rules to be their most important rule.

[ January 06, 2003, 17:52: Message edited by: IaaA? ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 13 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: User Rights? (13 votes.)

User Rights? (Choose 3)
    * No, they can flame/insult whomever they wish in public or private. - 46% (6)
    * Yes, they should basically follow the rules that have been set and that are called rules of this site. - 38% (5)
    * Other - 38% (5)

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] That poll is not right.

Technically, yes the moderators should follow the same "Basic Rules" as you say, which includes no insulting or racist behaviour, no spam etc; because in a way they enforce the rules.

On the other hand, they are moderators; people who were chosen to keep us lot in line by the creator of the boards/site; Taluntain. Now it was initially his decision to pick these people, and if he thinks they are abusing their position then sure, he could downgrade them.

You cannot though, simply say that Tal goes against his own rules. He made this site, these boards and this community, for us. Not for him, for us. You say that: "Do you know that this site is also supported by ad revenues based on the number of users?". Well how else is he supposed to pay the $120+ a month to keep this place running for you?! He can't keep paying out of his own pocket, because that would eat up his savings, and he can't rely simple on donations, because not enough people donate for that.

Tal has forged a system that allows us to thrive in a community such as this, for free regarding us, becase he's what... greedy? Hardly.

In this respect, he is above the law. The law he made. Would you say against god if he broke the commandments he wrote? No. And if you did it would be pointless because...well...he's god.

I am not taking Tals/the Moderator's side, I am simply not seeing that your point is a valid one.
    If you do not like the Moderators, or the way they joke, talk, or moderate, then please leave.

Goph.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Amazing poll. Have you ever heared of "Who pays decides?". This is a private forum, so the owner decides what happenes. Your poll is a little, may I say .... idiotic ?

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You are making sound as if the Moderators control our lives!

anyway, rights to do what exactly? If you read the Rules and FaQ you should be clear on the rules and where you stand within them. They aren't rude and insulting - I think perhaps you may find things intended as humourous as insulting - chill out, we're all like it.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    *at peace voice*
    They are..

Come let me show you the most wonderfull feeling in the world..

Just forget about all the negative things..

Embrace the God which is called Taluntain and embrace his left and right hands called Extremist and BTA..

Experience this feeling by smoking this.. this joint,

Relax... relax... relax... relzzzzZZZzzzZZZZ..

-_-

[ January 06, 2003, 20:51: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

6. deBhaal Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

"The sooner you realize that use of our forums is a privilege, NOT a right, the better."
    [edit]
    Forgot to say this .. the above quote is from the User Regestration that you had to click "I Agree" on to be allowed to post on these boards.
    [/edit]

Trust me on this, your in no position to be making idiotic polls.

[ January 06, 2003, 21:03: Message edited by: deBhaal ]

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

IaaA? are you trying to incite a rebellion right under the moderators noses?? or are you just someone who likes to be an exception and "sign their work" ?

8. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] That poll is idiotic. :doh: Tal is the ONE person, who rules us all. He has the power to ban everybody. Few clicks and you're gone. So think a little and you see that Tal is not THAT horrible. I know that from my personal experience. :nono:

9. IaaA? Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, I guess I am out of line then.

2 notes though relating to your comments Gopher:
    1. I assume your name is Gopher, yet, you sign your comment "Goph." I don't know if this is against the rules as it is a minor technicality, because you are signing your name as sort of a nickname. Did you do this in order to sneak by the rules?
    2. Yes, God made the commandments. However, He doesn't break them, He has never broken them, and He will never break them.

Yes, and we, as we are made in His image, should not break our own rules as this is called hypocrisy. So, basically what you are saying is that it is ok to you guys to condone hypocrisy.

A side note. Can I sign some other name at the end of my comment like

"Whoops?"?

I've been reading a book lately by Honore de Balzac titled "A Bachelor." I think a quote is appropriate from this famous author.

"... he had become rough, coarse and rude, and ... regarded himself as being a persecuted man; and when unintelligent people think themselves injured it makes them intolerant and only too ready to persecute others."

BTW, this site is not free, it costs you the most valuable thing that you have, which is time. And, if you write anything of value, this becomes valuable for the site. Another thing, this site costs a lot more than $120 because of the equipment and time put in by those who own it and run it.

The two rules that I would like to see here are: 1. being able to sign your own comment;
    2. that certain of the people who run this site should try to not be so hypocritical and obey their own rules.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You have exactly as many rights here as I give to you. It's my playground, and you'll play by my rules, rules which you have agreed to upon registration but managed to break so many times it's only my sheer amazement and curiosity about what you'll come up with next that's still keeping your around. I actually find some amusement in these posts of yours. But then, this could change very rapidly, so make the best of your (I predict) short remaining period you have on these boards. I really don't see what you plan to achieve with your incessant whining. Just leave if you're so offended by everything here. Because you won't see the day when any of the leaders on this board will bow to you in the slightest.

Oh, and that comment about how SP is supported by ad revenues "based on number of users" cracked me up. I really wish it was that easy as you think it is. The banners you see on all pages bring me 0 money unless you buy something through them. Which maybe a 0.001% of vistors do. They're literally there only because a blank space would look worse.

The only advertising that brings me in any real money are the pop-ups, which have lately been riddled with pop-up killer ads which probably signifies that the company serving them is going to go out of business very quickly. And even those popups don't earn half of the $140 I need to pay for the server costs alone every month, so that leeches of your kind can freely suck the bandwidth off SP, along with my patience. So for the most part of paying the costs of running SP, I'm relying on donations of generous visitors who appreciate the hard work invested into SP.

Anyway, I'm just posting this for the benefit of other reasonable users of these boards. You're beyond my help. Maybe you should seek professional treatment.

[ January 06, 2003, 22:01: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I just had a look in your poll: "Yes, they should be allowed to flame anyone they want to" or so. That's a suggestive question - suggesting that our MODs do so on a regular basis. That is unfair and very unfriendly. What is wrong with you? You think BTA flamed Quint? I read the thread you refer to and I see things a little different.

After going wildly :yot: Quint got a
    from BTA. That's a *flame* ??! Most people would understand that, not so Quint:
    :mommy: Quint seemingly has an amazing self esteem. A clear question from BTA was the response:
    Then Quint left, and reading his farewell post I can only say I don't miss him:
    Actually it was Quint who started to flame - and he reacted utterly stupid on a justified call for order. Joining Quint you're in bad company IaaA? - he obviously was, as you can easily follow above, a moron. When you don't understand that IaaA? you're just that, an idiot. (and that was a -> :flaming: <-*real flame* -> :flaming: <)

For all those interested in this moronic affair - the whole tragedy took place here :rolleyes:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000878

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    tragedy? 11/9 was a tragedy, this was a comedy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.