1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Holy Avenger Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Obad-Hai, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok I am going to make my character a lawful good female elf mage. I want to have a all good-aligned party. So here's what I'm thinking:

1. ME
    2. Keldorn
    3. Anomen (romance)
    4. Mazzy
    5. Possibly Aerie
    6. ????

I need to find a good thief. That also has a good alignment. Is Nalia any good? Since she is the only good-aligned thief. And i'm definately not taking Yoshimo...for um certain *reasons* ;) Any thoughts or comments? Any thing I should change?

2. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Imoen is better than Nalia. And she is good, shes not available all the time though so fill that spot with Nalia when Imoen is "on vacation on the beautiful island" :)

And for that final spot you should probably get another fighter. So I´d go with Minsc.
    I´ve always liked Jaheira better than Anomen, but since you want that romance I guess it´s fine.

So:

You - Mage
    Keldorn - Melee
    Minsc - Melee
    Anomen - Priest and melee backup or sling.
    Mazzy - Bow?
    Nalia - Thief and mage switched with Imoen.

I´d reccomend doing as many side quests as possible after picking up Imoen so she gets as much XP as possible and not wasting to much on Nalia.

[EDIT]

Sorry, read Nalia in the Aerie spot.
    Well, Aerie is good IMO so if you use Mazzy in melee to when battles get heavy I suppose you´ll do fine with Aerie instead of Minsc. Never really used Mazzy so I dont know what she goes for.

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Nalia isn't meant to be a thief, but you can get by with the aid of potions, etc. You can assist her with 'Find Traps' and 'Knock' cast by your priest and mage respectively. She is however, the BEST good mage in the game. Primarily because she can get so much more xp and spells before you get Immy.

Minsc is also a valid melee fighter. Although he is CG, he is all about fighting for good. Rangers can be handy for scouting ahead so you can plan your battles better.

Aerie is worth having as a backup mage and priest. If not ditch her and keep Nalia and Imoen (plus yourself) for awesome magic power.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You're going to be a mage. You're adding either Nalia or Imoen (who will cover the thief spot as well as a mage spot). You've got Anomen for the cleric. Why in the world are you adding Aerie? She's slower to get the high level spells, pathetically weak, and irritating to boot. I'd take Valygar or Minsc in Aerie's spot.

Also, as a side note, I'd make the PC a sorceress rather than a mage. More powerful, plus all of the scrolls can then go to the one mage.

5. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31

ok thanks for the suggestions! When I go pick up Valygar, Keldorn, and Mazzy when I get them do I have to complete their quests in a certain time limit before they run away, like Nalia does? Or can I keep them and go back and finish the place where I got them from.

Valygar - do I have to complete the planar sphere right away?

Keldorn - do I have to complete the unseeing eye quest right away?

Mazzy - do I have to complete the shadelord quest right away?

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    No, no, and I don't think so.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Actually, you don't have to COMPLETE Nalia's quest either when you get her. You are correct in that she will run off if you don't START doing her quest. But you really just have to get the quest rolling by talking to her at the palisade. Then you are free to just go back to town instead of stepping inside the castle, taking her along with you. IIRC if you do this, she will stop complaining about doing her quest.

8. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Still maybe you should take Yoshimo...
    You'll get a lot of XP when you finish the quest of bringing his heart to a priest of Ilmater and you will have a free slot for Imoen.

9. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In this case..there's no need to take Yoshimo along all the time. Just wait to the time you're going to Brynnlaw and take him in. Doing this you avoid giving exp to him :evil: .

10. Kazgoroth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Both Imoen and Nalia are rather horrible thieves, being that they only have 7 or so levels in it. And having both is just adding more magic to what you can already bolster if you choose to be a Sorceress.

But, I can't stand Yoshimo for the same reasons as you, I believe. But he isn't even a good thief, being that Bounty Hunters only get 15 to 20 percent of thieving abilities.

I think Aerie IS a good Idea because she can use Find Traps and Knock, as well as back up your party with great healing and offensive magic capabilites. And her "annoying" side isn't so bad that any sane person can't put up with her. I don't think she's that annoying at all, just take a rest for her once in a while, be nice to her and she'll help you kick anyone's buttocks.

I think just a pureblood theif or a swashbuckler is your best plan for a main character. Sure, a mage/sorceress is probably a WHOLE lot better combat-wise, but Faerun just seems to be littered with traps and locks, and taking the risk of not having someone with ample thieving skills, and ending up failing (as almost always) at physically busting off locks, or trying to grin and take the traps straight on the tailside isn't a good plan.

And getting an instant death/skin to stone trap to the protagonist without a good save just ruins anyones day.

***CHEATER'S WAY OUT***

I do this a lot myself, either use ctrl + q on a thief you like after enable cheat keys. You wanna get one with a name and good alignment, of course. But don't get one that you know you'll have to talk to for a quest. Although if you get one, and then find out you need him/her for a quest, I think if you use ctrl + k on it, say goodbye, then use ctrl + y to quickly kill him. Then type CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Theif's Name") He should come back and allow you to talk to him for the quest.
    You gotta follow these steps before you can even open use those cheats first:

1. Open your Baldurs Gate 2 Directory
    2. Copy and make a backup of the file ''baldur.ini''
    3. Edit the origional file ''baldur.ini'' with notepad
    4. In this file you will see a ''[Program Options]'' heading.
    5. Enter a new line under the heading and type or cpy in ''Debug Mode=1'' without the quotes.
    6. Save the document and play Baldur's Gate II
    7. Hold ctrl and pres the spacebar to open the console.
    8. Type in the console: CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys()
    9. Now you can use those ctrl + q/k/y codes
    10. Type the CreateCreature code I told you before in the console when you need to use it.
    NOTE
    The CLUAConsole codes are case sensitive.

Another way is by downloading ShadowKeeper, install it, use it any way you desire. It can edit a character in almost every way. You can simply use ctrl + q on a nameless thief and edit it with the ShadowKeeper. Just make sure you like his/her voice, because that's one of the few things you can't change with the ShadowKeeper.

(If you want to make an evil party at all, use ctrl + q on Illych, then edit him with the ShadowKeeper. Just make sure when you use ctrl + q on him that he is ATTACKING you, I know that after you finish his dialog, he runs next to his mage and stands there for a while, kill the others, then wait for him to initiate an attack. Then you can use ctrl + q. If you do it before he attacks, he'll constantly just walk around, not following orders. But he's a great addition to any evil or neutral party. Just make sure to change his alignment with ShadowKeeper, only the important NPCs get alignments other than True Neutral.)

I hope this huuuuuuge reply helped you out in some way!

11. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31

Ya thanks! That helped a lot! I imported Safana she's a really good thief and a superb archer! These are the people that I have in my party now.

1. Me = mage (staff of rhynn + boomerang dagger + robe of vecna)
    2. Anomen (Hammer +2+1 electric dmg + full plate+1)
    3. Keldorn (lilacor (SP?) + full plate+1)
    4. Jaheira (root of the problem + rashad's talon + full plate)
    5. Valygar (daystar + celestial fury + his own armor)
    6. Safana (short swd +2 + tasheron's bow (the one that needs no ammo + studded armor +2)

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I was gonna dump Jaheira for Mazzy but Jaheira is a tank now and has the best AC! And I use her a lot for summoning spells. I also need some suggestoins on how to defeat liches and vampires. Thanks!

12. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you're having a lot of trouble with liches or vampires, I always find it amusing to buy scrolls of prot. from undead. These aren't too difficult to acquire, and they make undead unable to attack you.

Of course, that also makes it way to easy. Vampires are no problem as long as you can manage negative plane protection, and the sword Daystar can deal with any undead

13. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I wouldn't particularly get rid of Jaheira. She is actually one of the best tanks in the game. I also think she has some excellent anti-mage spells which you may need. Plus her HLAs are awesome.

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What about Jan?
    he's Lawful Neutral, and that isn't too far away from good!
    And he makes a great thief with his Adventurer ware

15. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Jan is chaotic neutral

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    ATM I am using the following party combination:

Mazzy - Dual Wielding Katanas (Celestial Fury + DaK'kons Sword)
    Keldorn - 2Handed Swords (Carsomyr)
    Anomen - Mace/Flail + shield (Flail of Ages + Fortress Shield)
    Imoen - Short Bow (Tansherons, later Gesens)
    PC (sorceror) - Throwing Dagger/Staff (Boomerang dagger/Staff of Magi)
    Aerie - Sling + Shield (Sling of Seeking + Shield of Harmony)

This is an all good party and it is Dominating (mainly cos my PC is awesome :eek: :D ;) :p )

17. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Obad-Hai
    Just give Jaheira the Amulet of Power (protects against level drain) and buff her up with a few spells, haste etc. and she should do fine against vampires...

Liches requires a bit more party play - use True Sight/Dispel Magic with Keldorn and Breach etc. with your mage to take care of it's combat protections and then go at him with your best front liners. You'll probably need to buff them up a bit - especially to improve their saves (for those instant death spells) so Protection from Evil is nice. And keep your weaker characters in the distance since the lich probably casts Abi Dalzim's and Meteor Storm.

If you have the Mace of Disruption it'll do wonders against all undead...

18. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] A quick question: Who in the nine hells is Safana?? :confused:

19. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

A joinable thief from BGI

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.