1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Whatnots to Split?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A very simple question. Lately Whatnots has grown and expanded and it's filled with topics ranging from very light to serious philosophical, religious, national, political and more.

My suggestion is to move these more troublesome and debatable topics into a new forum, and such topics should from that point on be reserved for that forum only. So whoever wants to get into neverending discussions can do it there easily enough, but those who just want to enjoy the simpler posting on a lower level can continue to do so here in Whatnots, unhindered.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 74 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Whatnots to Split? (74 votes.)

Should another forum be opened for more serious and debatable topics? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, Whatnots should only contain lighter topics - 61% (45)
    * No, Whatnots should stay as it is, with serious and lighter topics - 39% (29)

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It should stay as it is, the tides of political and religios discussions and their likes is changing, sometimes much sometimes less and a specifik forum would be dead often enough. Secondly so is it mostly a only a few posters that drives such topics and by sending them to a forum off their own the discussions would be even more closed that they are now. I think a special forum for so called serious posts and threads would only be frequented by a few and the threads in there would lose the fresh breath that is the casual thought of people that dont actively seek out such things. What should be discussed then in whatnots? Isnt politics and religion whatnots on a gaming site? We have already stripped books, sp related issues and non-dnd games from whatnots and without the discussions I think whatnots would be too thin as well.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have several names for the new forum which might fit the bill.

[ December 12, 2002, 21:51: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't think we need fear any shortage of posts in Whatnots. And I think it certainly makes sense to make a specific forum for more serious topics, with a specific set of rules as well. Most of serious discussion now is pretty much unmoderated, but if it had a specific forum rules and guidelines could be set down to make discussions really worthy debates, not just spilling of random thoughts by anyone who comes along. (Which is pretty much the case now.)

If it was separated and more strictly supervised, such discussions could at least come to a conclusion in SOME cases. As it is now, it's pretty much a neverending story.

5. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've always wondered why the serious discussions were never in a forum of their own. I think it should be done, go for it Tal!

6. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I agree, lets go for it.

--FenixStrife

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But none but the truly interested freaks such as me, Shralp, Ragusa, Laches, Rastor, BTA, Jack Funk and quite a bit more would ever come to a forum that was set aside for serious discussion only. Noone would casually wander in and start reading and form an own opinion. As it is now the topics are here so that even the thirteen old kids will see them and perhaps be interested and form an opinon to chime in. Only the already interested as it is will go a specific forum and they arent that many.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, in some way you're right, but that's an inevitable consequence, and mostly desired effect as well. The point is not to have everyone chiming in with their thoughts and ideas, but only people who have something to contribute. As for no one casually wondering in... Well, I don't see why not. It's as likely to happen as with any other forum on the list.

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] I think it's a good idea!

Philosophers' Corner? :D

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Philosophers Phorum :xx:

I like Whatnots how it is, but I suppose if it splits we'd get used to it - then wonder why it wasn't like that before :rolleyes:

Whatever you go for, Tal :thumb:
    It is your forum after all

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sounds like a fairly good idea. Although I'd say that few would actually venture into that land of 4-page debates and arguments over morality, justice, and how America sucks.

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Since those are the only "serious" discussions here :p

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Sounds good to me! Let the carnage begin.

As for Laches (or BTA, or Ragusa, etc) avoiding a serious forum, I hardly think that's true. Why, I even suspect you'll show up from time to time, Joacqin. ;)

14. joacqin

Media:
    Well I really meant it the other way around Capstone, that the only people to ever go there would be the ones that already spam to their hearts content in the 'serious' threads while no one else will really bother to go there.

15. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

If it's any consolation Joacqin I'd be in that board with you;).
    I don;t actually think it should be split though, as whatnots is for discussions on whatever else there is to talk about really. Whether light or serious, it's just become home to all our thoughts, opinons and of course, the flames when someone disagree's with another who can't actually put a good argument together. It just doesn't seem 'right'. Besides, if you don't want to read the 'serious' stuff you don't actually have to.

16. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree! I think it would help to contain Whatnots a little (I, for one, am starting to feel a little frantic because of all the posts I don't have the time to read in here) and I can stop feeling bad for not having anything insightful to post on any serious discussions. I guess it boils down to the fact that I don't like to argue. :D But yes, a split is in order.

17. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I have seen this been done before and it works. It's a board set aside for discussion more so than socializing. More designed for in-depth discussions. Maybe it's not as bad of an issue now, but as SP continues to grow, this is definitely something to look at. Think of it as a forum where the same rules apply but you are serious (maybe disable smilies in that forum) like you are addressing a body of people formally or something with a serious issue. Well it's an idea.

18. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I say do it. :)
    If for some reason it doesn`t work out, you always have the option of re-merging.
    So, realy, it can`t hurt. :)

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would say that there are too many boards already and I realy don't see the point in a split

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I see no point is splitting, either. In my opinion, the facty that Whatnots has a jumble of topics that are serious, less serious and even spammalistic is part of its charm... I think. Perhaps a name change would be in order, if not a split...

Ara
    (In defense of Whatnots)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.