1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't use High Powered Mages Properly

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dropbear, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Dropbear Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is my first time through BG2, and I have been reading the forum with great interest, especially the posts about Mages and their spells etc. I was playing through the Temple Ruins last night and decided I would have a go at that Dragon instead of walking on buy... (I made sure I saved first *grin*).

Anyway! I got my arse kicked severly, manging to 'injure' the dragon, but not seriously..

In cast BREACH and Lower Resistance at him, but you have to move your mage quite close to the dragon in order to cast these spells! - How do you protect the mage in between the time it takes to cast the two spells? I tried moving the Mage away so I could cast CLOUDKILL, but the dragon followed him and BAM! All party members were flat on their back!

Whats the best way for the mage to cast these 'preliminary' battle spells? without getting your butt kicked whilst doing it ?

(I know all about the fake talk strategies etc and refuse to use them, you may as well not play the game than to cheat that way) (IMO anyway)

2. The only way I can think of to do that is to use a Spell Trigger. Otherwise, you're stuck with that.

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

I suggest summoning your some fodder to keep the dragon busy while you lower it's defenses, also have your fighters flank him on all sides, so he can't really focus on one guy. Casting Resist Fear is a must as well. Don't expect your mage to last long up front without any supporting fighters. Pure magical energy spells like magic missle and skulltrap work very well, as dragons have high resistances to elements, which you can't lower, but you can lower their magic resistance.

4. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

As stated above, summon all fodders as you can and when the dragon is closing in, just cast prot. from magical weapon on you, but the time(4 rounds;)) is quick so please hurry.

[This message has been edited by Laksol (edited February 04, 2002).]

5. void Guest

You should try casting all the defensive spells you can, most won't work against the dragon but I'm sure there must be some...

6. Fodder may not be the perfect solution. Remember that Wing Buffet, Red Dragon Breath, and the Black Dragon's Insect Plague will interfere.

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

Try summoning elementals of the same element vs dragons. Like use fire elementals against Firkaag, ect. That way their spells will do little or no damage against them.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Sarevok, good point with the magical damage spells and the fire elementals for the Sarevok fight - the latter one however only works on firedragons like Firekraag. Personally I never found much fun in the summoning business (I never played a pure mage in BG - maybe I'll change my mind then ...) so I can't give detailed advice here. However, I see the clear advantages, especially when dealing with beholders and mindflayers ...

As for dragon fights: I had good sucess with a very straight approach: Just cast the renowned spell trigger with pierce magic and lower resistance and/ or greater malison first, followed by magic missiles and lightning bolts - when I didn't had the spell trigger when facing the dragon I casted the spells one after another ... that definitely increased the challenge :D. Breach, ruby ray and Khelben's warding whip are useful to destroy the dragon's later protections too.

Generally dragons are vulnerable to electricity. The black dragon of Sundalessalar, Nizidramanii'yt is the only dragon in open air so you can use call lightning against her. I heared about some people using Abi Dalzim's to good effect on dragons, IMO one of the best high level spells, however it is essential to cast lower resistance first. Magic missile, lightning bolts and skull traps (take care of your melee fighters then) work all great on gragons.

For the preparations for a dragon fight: As Sarevok noted remove fear is essential, and I usually add haste (improved haste if possible - especially for archers), luck and bless on all pary members, when I face an evil dragon protection from evil too, not to mention protection from fire for Firekraag - clerics IMO offer some of the best protections. I tended to overlook these low level cleric spells for quite a while - once I found out my fights got shorter and I took less damage ;)

But finally I have to state that it's significantly easier to fight dragons using magic rather than fighting them in melee/ ranged combat. I always felt it's much more satisfying to slice a dragon rather than making it ride the ligthning :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited February 05, 2002).]

9. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If somebody is facing Firkraag at early levels like 9-12, then mages can't do mutch harm to him. Lightning is good against him, but cone of cold is too complicated to aim correctly. Melf's acid arrow is suprisingly good, just as magic missile; if you have enough time to cast a few. However fighters are essential to keep him busy while your mages bombard him with spells.

10. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

possible *spoilers*

firekraag resistances:
    fire: 100
    cold: 0
    Acid: 0
    electricity: 0
    Magic: 65
    slashing: 30
    crushing: 30
    piercing: 30
    Missile: 30

Nizidramanii'yt resistances:
    fire: 20
    cold: 20
    electricity: 20
    Magic: 45
    Acid: 100
    slashing: 25
    crushing: 25
    piercing: 25
    Missile: 25

Thaxll'ssillyia resistances:
    fire: 0
    cold: 0
    electricity: 0
    Magic: 60
    Acid: 0
    slashing: 25
    crushing: 25
    piercing: 25
    Missile: 25

Correct me if I'm wrong

11. I thought that the dragons have resistances over 100 for their respective elements. i.e., Firkaag might have 125 Fire Resistance.

12. Nanadil Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The neatest trick i suceeded in killing both the shadow dragon and The black dragon (NO I AM NOT GOING TO TRY TO SPELL THE NAME!!!) I had 3 mages in my party, each cast similacrum and then i had 6 mages. Almost all about lvl 10 or higher. This was awesome. Why? 3 mages cast the spell protections down. Breach, Ruby ray of reversal and then The lvl 8 spell protection remover (dang if I can remember it right now) Then everybody cast Magic missle, then next round 6 people cast magic missle, on the third or 4th round it was dead. Amazing what 30-40 magic missles can do to a foe.

rob

13. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You're not gonna spell the name? You could have just copied it from my post :D

I personally liked my tactics more. I am playing on insane with 4 straight fighters. All I could do was start jabbing him till he dropped. It worked

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i cast protective spells on my fighters, then i cast "silence" on the dragon. my fighters then flank the dragons, while fodders attack head on. mages then start casting lower resistances, greater malison, doom, and magic missiles, chromantic orb, flame arrows, and acid spells. my party need not resist fear, were never malisoned, never confused or stunned. it's only dragon breath and dragon claws that i'm up against.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.