1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making modules?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Jesper898, May 5, 2004.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Are anyone making their own modules?

I've started on a module(my first :D ), currently I've only created the Trollbark forest, but eventually I want the PC to journey to Mulhorand.

Alavin@:

Heck, I'm proud of my two first (and only) areas :p

[ May 06, 2004, 12:50: Message edited by: Jesper898 ]

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Currently working on two.

One is based in the Warhammer World, in a city beset by Chaos, orcs and others. Freeform. Nowhere nearly done - about 50 areas so far.

The other, mainly started when I was bored, is someone from another world travelling to the Forgotten Realms and getting trapped there, wielding a pistol and wearing combat armour, finding that it doesn't stop orc axes too well.

I have previously made a module, which I was slightly proud of, until I realised it was completely linear and made absolutely no sense whatsoever. It also only took an hour to complete, and the most complex scripting in it was setting a variable. I remember being proud of that. :D

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm working on one right now, its a Ravenloft setting. There about three dozen areas at the moment, but that always seems to be in flux.

My main bottleneck right now is scripting, and custom content which I'm sort of addicted to now.

4. Xurben Mistmoore Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

how do you make ur mod change spots like you go to a corner and u go to another area plz tell me! i have like 10 areas and I cant figure out how to do it! and how do you make an npc initiate dialog like run and talk to you or you talk to them plz tell me

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

@Xurben: Check out Neverwinter Vault for tutorials.

And I recommend you use a script generator, for scripts.

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Area Transitions:

When viewing an area on the far right of your screen, you'll need two buttons:

The trigger button (a green diamond)
    The waypoing button (a flag)

First click the trigger button, select "Area Transition" in the options that come up.

Draw your area transition.

Click the Waypoint button, in the options that come up, select "waypoint." Place the

waypoint anywhere you want, it could be in the same area with the trigger, or a different one, it doesn't matter. Right

click on the waypoint, select properties.

In the TAG field, put something you will remember. *IMPORTANT* the "name" field doesn't matter, the important stuff goes in the Tag field.

Go back to the trigger you drew. Right click on it, select properties.

Click the Area Transition tab.

Click the Waypoint radial button.

In the Destination Tag field, put the exact spelling of the Tag you placed on the waypoint.

--alternately you can click the "Setup Area Transition" button, and select the waypoint.

Save it and test it in game.

The trigger you drew will show up as the blue area transition that I'm sure you're familiar with in game. Click on it or run over it and hop to your waypoint.

You can do the same exact thing with doors to doors, doors to waypoints or triggers to doors, etc.

Making an NPC initiate dialog is more complicated, as its entirely script based. I recommend Lilac Soul's Script generator for starting on this stuff, and the NWN Lexicon for enchancing what the generator does.

Start a new topic on the NPC dialog initiation and I'll post a script I have that does exactly what you want (I think).

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Rotku's trying to make a module for ALFA. It's based on the Labyrinth, a big maze in the Underdark of Faerun. Made the base of about 50 areas sofar, and probably only another 100 to go *sighs*

8. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31

I've been thinking of remaking Might and Magic 4 and 5 in NWN. Will probably never get done though. Maybe sometimes when I'm really bored...

9. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

One mod at the moment. Based in the FR, haven't completely decided yet; but it's somewhere on the Inner Sea. The only 2 destinations I've set in stone so far, are a village in Vaasa, and (couldn't resist!) a small drow city/the Underdark. Although, I plan on taking the PC adventuring throughout the Inner Sea...although all the cities/towns/villages in the mod will be entirely my creation, since I'm not presumptuous/foolish enough to think that I can recreate any of the cities/towns/villages already in place in the FR.

So much work though! And I may be putting *too* much detail and realism into it...I just had to recreate my drow city because the first one wouldn't load; there was just too much detail/AI (that's what I figure...the area just wouldn't load, and the game refused to give me a reason; so I just assumed... :p ) that nwn would just crash everytime I tested the mod and got to that area (didn't have any problems with any of the other areas though, just that one).

I wish I could kiss the makers of the CEP. That thing's been an absolute godsend for my mod (Hey! The weapons actually look *real* now!!).

Oi...too bad I'll never actually finish this mod. Been working on it on and off for months, and I haven't even scratched the surface...(much less started doing any plot/convos...)...meh.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Not exactly building a module (at least for public) but I am co-running a multiplayer campaign for a Finnish NWN-group. I'm mostly taking care of the design and dialogue. The world is FR and the adventure has reached from Thay through Sembia, Shadowdale and Underdark to Amphail (a village near Waterdeep) and soon the party will be heading towards Waterdeep and from there to Undermountain and Skullport where the final scenes of the campaign will be played. The Campaign has taken well over 30 possibly even 50 sessions so it's truly colossal for NWN when considering that each session takes about 1,5 hours.

After this I'm planning of starting a Planescape campaign about Blood War but I kind of hope that CODI would get their Sigil tileset ready until then, but I'll just have to wait and see.

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Doesn't sound right... Did you have a back up copy or something you could have tried?
    That's one thing I've learnt while toolsetting, save, save, save and save again, in multiple places.

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

No, no back up or anything. The strange thing is that the drow city was an area in my mod; and the rest of my mod worked fine, but the drow city just wouldn't load (the game crashed whenever I played it). And I know it wasn't a problem with the area transition; because it worked before, and I hadn't made any changes to the transition...though I did a lot for that drow city.

Meh. Doesn't really matter anymore. My new drow city is 10x better so far, so I just forget the old one. :shake: I find that I copy too much from Menzoberanzan though :) (even the name of the city..."Sel'Loltherenzen")...

I do save a lot though actually. Though I tend not to bother with back-ups. I'm just too lazy to.

13. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

That problem can happen if there's a placeable that's been moved to an inaccessible area. It doesn't always happen, but its possible.

It could be an item that you accidently painted a tileset wall over, or one that was moved outside of the tileset grid entirely.

Also, I've found that if you do something wonky with the pc start point (as above, and be careful about placing it on uneven surfaces), the mod won't even save in the toolset.

14. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

By the way, I scrapped my Mulhorand module, as I couldn't really make the story work.

Now I'm planning a story for a Forgotten Realms/Ravenloft campaign.

15. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i started making one. havent touched it in a while tho, have problems with scripting and conversations so i decided id come back to it. first one ever and so far i have over 30 areas, with more still in production (as i said only prob is the lack of characters cause of my bad scripting skills). was looking very promising tho, had icelands to the north, great cities, massive forests, a battlefield that you can join in on (only thing i scripted correctly...hooray, lol).

anyone have a clue on how to get a captain of a ship to tell you locations you can go and their prices, then when you click on one you go to that place instantly and have that amount of gold taken from you? (thats my main problem, cause its gona be soo big you need to use ships and stuff to get to the far off cities and the desert. whole lost civilistation to be discovered there! hehehe)

thanks for any help

Feirhanith

16. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

@ Feirhanith Dengeird,

by request, through a conversation some gold gets taken from the party, and they are transported to a new location.

First place waypoints at the locations of the areas that you want the party to arrive at. Label them as something you'll remember, "WP_CASTLE" , "WP_BATTLEFIELD" , etc.

Next, in the conversation editor:
    On the link of the location, that the PC clicks on to transition, place the following script in the ACTIONS TAKEN tab.

NOTE: the stuff in bold is the data you'll change to take the appropriate amount of gold, and the appropriate waypoint to arrive at.

This script was made in Lilac Soul's script generator, I linked to it in a post above. It took me 3 seconds to do this, I highly recommend the download.

17. Danthorg Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

im sorta a noob with this toolset so im gonna ask a noobish sorta question

can you make your own worlds with it or is it just a single map

18. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

You can make anything you want. Of course; you're limited to the creatures, tilesets, placeables, etc that make up the toolset. But working within those limitations; there's no reason you can't create your own world. And in case you meant literally; you can also create a vast number of areas in your module. With a nice variety of tilesets and the like (especially if you have both expansions) you can have your module take you from one end of Toril (or a world of your own creating if you like) to the other.

19. Rotku

That's not true at all. If you go and look at the NW Vault there are heaps of fan-made things, or if you are good at 3D modling you could always create your own stuff. Infact, there's a great walkthrough I once read somewhere here at SP which guided you through the steps of making personalised items.

20. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

thanks a lot ArtEChoke.......im going to go full on now and try to finish it, so many areas to do and i have already done loads. after that i can start making some quests and stuff, nice enjoyable long winded ones, none of these stupid 5 minute jobbies.

CHEERS MATE

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.