1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What type of modules do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Errol, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Please tell me what sort of modules you people at SP like best, as my module-in-progress really is for posting here. If there's anything else you want to add about what you'd like to see in a module, please add that in a topic reply.
    Thanks!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 6 question(s). 58 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What type of modules do you prefer? (58 votes.)

Which of these module-types would you prefer? (Choose 1)
    * Hack n' Slash, big monsters, treasure and battles. - 3% (2)
    * Lots of Hack n' Slash, with some storyline. - 5% (3)
    * A story driven mod, with a fair bit of combat. - 76% (44)
    * A complete role-playable mod with hardly any combat. - 16% (9)

Which type of dialogue would you prefer? (Choose 1)
    * Hey! Would you like to do deliver these papers for me? - 24% (14)
    * "Hey!", a tall, thin man calls, "I wanted to ask if you could deliver these papers for me?", he asks as he digs out some sealed envelopes from his robe. - 67% (39)
    * The man calls out to you from the street, and kindly asks you to deliver some documents for him. - 9% (5)

What kinda story would you prefer in a module? (Choose 1)
    * Being involved in a large story, with Gods, massive monsters, and grand plots. (ToB) - 14% (8)
    * Exploring, until you find the beginning to an adventure, starting small growing bigger. (BG1) - 33% (19)
    * Having the adventure come to you, smack in the face. (town burned down, or NWN) - 7% (4)
    * A minor plot leading to a much larger one (BG2:SoA) - 34% (20)
    * Anything will do, as long as I get to adventure. - 12% (7)

Would you like to see playable henchmen in a mod? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, lots of them, to choose from such as the Trade of Blades. - 10% (6)
    * Having a few allies, or friends in the adventure asking to join you. - 33% (19)
    * Finding people in need of help, offering to join them. - 12% (7)
    * Famous characters would be good for henchmen (drizzt, entreri etc) - 9% (5)
    * I don't mind, a combination of the first three would do. - 34% (20)
    * I don't play with henchmen, I have a party (Mod is not currently part-based) - 2% (1)

In what kind of area would you want the module to be set in? (Choose 1)
    * A familiar setting, like the Sword Coast, with places such as Baldur's Gate, Athkatla, or even Icewind Dale. - 24% (14)
    * A relitavely known area of the FR, where not many novels/mods are set. Such as Cormyr (my option) - 16% (9)
    * A practically unknown area of the FR, like Turmish, or minor towns. - 19% (11)
    * Either, i'd like to have some place which i can recognize however. - 7% (4)
    * Don't mind, i'd like to explore those unknown areas. - 34% (20)

What type of setting would you prefer? (Choose 1)
    * Humorous/Funny (think Discworld, without Wierd-ness) - 10% (6)
    * Politically Correct/ Real-Physics - 3% (2)
    * Mixed (several different settings) - 47% (27)
    * Serious/Role-play Fantasy (LotR) - 36% (21)
    * Outrageous/Strange (Think Discworld, without Jokes) - 3% (2)

2. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

You should include harlots :D (without that snoring male voice when they sleep)

And lots of forest and grassland areas,
    without giant cities like Neverwinter, but small towns.

That's all for now :)

3. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Maybe I should have informed you a tad more? Right, the module is set on, and around the Sea of Fallen Stars (a major part of Faerun, far east of Amn.), and more particularly Cormyr and Northern Turmish.
    I won't reveal the plot, but the major cities such as Suzail and Eveningstar will play a minor role, as most of the story will take place in towns and villages, which I have spent an awful lot of time on.

At the moment, I have planned the layout of the story/module, but am unsure as of what it should be like. Anyone who is seriously considering either helping out with ideas, or just giving good advice, please post in the poll, and maybe request a 'Prelude'.

Thanks again, and remember the poll!

4. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Most of the poll participants seem to prefer story over hack'n slash, so make sure you have a solid story with real characters that behave the way they should (cfr harlot fiasco of the official campaign).

Also, don't make the Morrowind mistake: allow the players to adventure as they want, but still lead them to a certain goal, so that they don't feel that they're just wandering around.
    In concrete terms that would be: providing lots of diaologue options and different ways to reach a certain goal (let's say you want to kill a wizard, well then you could go straight to his house and bash open the door and try to kill him, or you could persuade/bribe a servant to poison the wizards food).

I hope that helped you a little (and don't worry, I have voted :) )

[ August 27, 2002, 21:27: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Gopher,
    Great poll. My main concern has to do with the question concerning what type of area players prefer. The Forgotten Realms seem great to me, but why be restricted to just them? What is to stop you from saying, "hey this module comes from a different place."

The closest choice to this is "Don't mind I'd like to explore those unknown areas." And if you'll notice, currently that choice has been picked the most. Unknown is the key here. Something new. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying FR is bad. Perhaps consider making some FR modules and some modules that are set in new areas you come up with. New is good, so is variety.

The last question is great too. I believe sometimes games get classified to much. When you start classifying types too much you impose too many limitations on your creativity. All games of this type fall under a certain formula that goes with their respective genre/setting/style whatever you want to call it. As you can see so far, most people like a good mix. A good balance between several kinds of settings imposes less restrictions, leads for ways to think out of the box, satisfies everyone (because somebody can find some aspect they really like), and is generally well-rounded and fun to play.

Good luck with your module.

6. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the kind words Big B, and i've got plans for things.

The reason I wanted it to be in the Forgotten Realms, was simply for familiarity. I haven't read any Dragonlance novels, and other books I particularly like won't be easily converted. I suppose I could still put it on a different AD&D world, and as you say, there is nothing stopping me to doing this. But for the moment, I've got a ton of research (I even bought Volo's Guide!) on the area the module is being made in, so int he FR it will be.

The story/campaign will be set in, and around the Sea Of Fallen Stars as I said, and that sea is coasted by Sembia, Turmish, Cormyr and the Dragon Lakes, and that's only on the West side. And IIRC, not many modules/games/books have mentioned that Sea, although it is there. So I'd say that region is relatively unknown, and I reckon most people would enjoy exploring parts of the Realms they are so familiar with, yet know so little about. What do you think?

The Genre thing was getting to me, and in the end I settled for a realistic fantasy setting, although i'm trying not to make it too serious, and there should be a few light-hearted laughs in there somewhere.
    Obviously people want it to be sort-of realistic, and not crazy like DW, so i'll try to see both sides of Realistic.

Uytuun, that's exactly the way I was planning to make it, and i'm going to make sure there are lots of options for evil characters too, so they have a chance in the game (although playing good/neutral would help).
    I've got the first area fully completed, with sounds, convo's, the lot. I counted variables to at least over 20, in only the first area.

So, big thanks to Big B and Uytuun for thier help. Anymore out there?

Edit: spelled Uytuun wrong, :p

[ August 27, 2002, 23:55: Message edited by: Gopher ]

7. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in behind you Gopher. That was a great poll, and after seeing the thought you're putting into it, I'm really looking forward to your module coming out :)

For your next trick ;) you might want to consider a brand new world seting. You sound like you're putting quite a lot of effort into not just making a decent or passable module, but a *very* good one. Using a new, different world setting might help make it stand out that much more from the thousands that are out there.

8. Errol Gems: 23/31

Thanks Gnolyn, your people's advice really does help, and motivates me toward's higher reaches!
    Yes i am trying to make a module, which hopefull people will enjoy, and not only something to play once you get bored with the single-player, but something you will want to play.

The brand new world setting will agreably have it's advantages and disadvantages, but yes I do see that more people will want to play in a relatively unknown setting. And in a new setting, I can create whatever I want, however I want, because it's my world (now I know how a DM feels), but setting rules and barriers will be hard, and I would have to create every single part of the world, which could take aaaages, as the the story/campaign is going to be very detailed.

Hmmm... shame I can't edit the poll. Well, give me your ideas on world ok? FR or Other?

9. Fallen Paladin

Don't forget to include some grassland (rural) :)

And you could make up your own world.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I just tell you a few things I would do when I would make a mod for I don't know what you exactly plan to do:

Partymember:

I would go for 2 possible party-members: a man and a woman, with who you get a very deep relation. The henchman is only fighting for you and using his skills, but there is almost no interaction with him/her. Let there be more interaction, so start to feel more for him of her, so you care more for him/her or even become more: a protector or even get a real relationship with him or her. I think many people like a bit of romance.

Death

Put on higher penalties on Death, but not by gold or XP but by an original option. When there are higher penalties when you die,loosing a random item from your equipment, or losing thrust of your companion fpr example, will make people play more careful, this increases Roleplaying and make people playing a bit less like hack and slash games, running into every chamber and just see what you face etc.

Environment:

Use some new tilesets, so people who play your mod don't think: It looks the same. You want to make an original mod, also let the it look a bit original then!

Plot:

I like the way it was in Baldurs Gate. The Main plot in Baldur''s Gate is clear very soon (however the story develops slowly), but in the later Bioware-Games, especially NWN, you can't wander around everywhere, finding some quests and people that have nothing to do with the main quest.... People like that, because it gives the game more variety, more things to do and to discover. Make many subquests, especially in the beginning. You as character shouldn't care too much about the main quest until you are more experienced, maybe with a bit better equipment and money too... in this part of the game you can also increase the relation with your companion.

All I can think of for now. Maybe I'll get some new thoughts tomorrow when I'm a bit less sleepy and without alcohol in my blood ;) Hope these ideas aren't too bad... ;)

11. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the great ideas Headbanger, (and I hold place number 44 now btw :p ). And the idea behind the henchmen, was to create more of a part-member feel you got in BG1+2, where you actually cared for your party. NPC Inventory is being done, and i'm thinking about romance's.
    Death is being handled...and when you 'ReSpawn', it is assumed you have an NPC with you, who brings you to the nearest temple for Raising. Hence, if you have no living NPC with you, you cannot re-spawn, which I figure is realistic.
    I also think addind scripts(variables) to people, making them behave differently after raising (hence henchmen here as you said).

The environment is hard, because If i want to have unique area's (Snow, Swamp etc), then I must assume that the people who get the module have them too, or it wont work for them!
    And the plot, as per the poll, will be a gradual thing, which emerges slowly as you explore the areas. So after doing tons of minor irrelevant quests, you realise there's a major thing going on here. Or something like that.
    The main plot is, at the moment, a minor thing.
    Keep the ideas coming people.

12. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

A nice forest with trees and flowers and forest trolls :D + a druid grove.Maybe one corrupted to get a quest either good or evil depending which grove you destroy.
    Trolls, wolwes, werewolfs, wild dogs, and please no birds ;)
    I realy like forest in the game :)

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

can't you somehow make a selfextracting, sort of install file that puts the module in the right map, and also installs the required new tilesets? Yeah I know size can be a problem and the tilesets are rather big.... Maybe you can make the environment a bit original within a default tileset... try to think of a way to do that....

Marnix (700 words ahead :p )

14. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Yeah, I've been working on Weather (sounds + effects) and heavily on Area Lighting to give each area a different feel.
    Thanks again.

Edit: Fallen, the point in the module was to minimize on Melee, and focus more on a flexible storyline, character interaction, and pc development. Roleplay in other words.

[ August 28, 2002, 17:35: Message edited by: Gopher ]

15. Fallen Paladin

Yes, lot's of goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, orcs, trolls and such creatures to kill. :)

16. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    [​IMG] another bit of "good advice" just popped up in my head, concerning the PC's enemies.

It should obviously be quality rather than quantity in this matter. Few enemies, but challenging enemies.

Since the main element of the module will be roleplay, you could have NPC's that react differently according to the PC's alignment, reputation... So a certain NPC would be neutral towards a chaotic good ranger, but would attack an evil cleric on sight. It might be a lot of work, but since there will be fewer enemies, it will be worth it.
    Things like this will make the gameworld more realistic.

Now on the world thingie, Most people want a new area. Your area (Sea of Fallen Stars) is new, so I'd say stick with FR.

That's about it for now, I'll post again when I think of something else. (brain is processing really slow after 2 months of free time) anyway, good luck, Gopher, it's a promising project.

17. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Thanks, the plan was to have tons of different Variables, so that different NPC's act differently depending on what you are doing...

"Hey! You're the <Race> <Man/Woman> who killed the Duke aren't you?! Why ever did I tell you where his castle was before?!"

And stuff like that. So yeah, that's a definete. And another thing I shall definetely include is INT/WIS/CHA checks, Druids and Rangers talking to animals (quality of speech depending on Level and Wisdom :) ), amongst other ideas.

At the moment, the hardest thing is putting all the ideas into the module, in a good way. And i'm currently stuck on how to introduce the PC to the module. So tell me... how would you like to be introduced into the mod?
    Ideas:
    - You wake up in your house, and decide to go adventuring.
    - You find yourself in a Tavern Room, not remembering the previous week after drinking yourself stupid.
    - Having taken a boat across the Great Sea, looking for adventure.

Give me feedback!

18. Fallen Paladin

Second one or third one. :)
    Definatly not the first.

19. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    the second one, I don't think that's been done before.

20. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Be sure to make possible to play the game for spellcasters and not just warriors/rogues, so as you won't get bored with traps, chests, etc... (a big problem in NWN). Traps and locks should be part of the story,
    It would be nice also for a SP to be able to use a full party...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.