1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Last of the Founding Fathers: James Madison by Drew McCoy. There is some good info on Madison, if you can get past the really dull writing style; the book is not very well-written. But McCoy's basic rendering of Madison places him as more a political centrist, somewhere between the political polar extremes of Jefferson and Hamilton. To be honest, there are some much better books on Madison, particularly those by Jack Racove.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am reading "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson. It has been very so so up to where I am but I still have hopes for the series.

3. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Lady Friday by Garth Nix

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Just started The Devil in the White City, by Eric Larsen. An account of two fascinating parallel events, the building of the Colombian Exposition of 1892-93 in Chicago and the career of a serial killer living a few blocks from the exposition site. Fascinating history, pretty well written; chapters alternate between the two sets of events.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Red Thunder - John Varley

Fun. Not great lit or anything, but fun.

6. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Just finished "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett and loved it.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished "Lady Friday" and currently looking for new idears.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm currently in the latter part of Parke Godwin's Firelord, a version of King Arthur that is supposedly more accurate than all the strereotype movie versions (but is very similar to King Arthur), in the beginning of Hyperion by Dan Simmons and have also just started Of Wolves and Men by Barry Lopez. I've always been fascinated by Wolves and this book is really very interesting. I can't believe I found a hardcover for USD 1.50$ in a bargain bin :eek: anybody else ever read this?

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Finished Hyperion (Dammit, what an ending, now I gotta get Fall of Hyperion :bang: ) and Firelord. Taking Of Men and Wolves slowly as I do with other non-fiction stuff, thinking on what to read next..

10. revmaf

Enagonios, Fall of Hyperion does come to more of an ending than Hyperion, but not totally - there are two more books beyond that, Endymion and Rise of Endymion, though I forget if that's the correct order.

The series is a great one - sorry if you got suckered into the first book without knowing it leaves you hanging. That makes me so mad when I read a book that does that unknowingly.

Meanwhile, I've finished about 10 of the Discworld novels - I think I like Small Gods best, though they're all super - and I never would have read the first one if not hearing about the series here on SP. Thanks, book fans.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Old Man's War - John Scalzi

Pretty damned good. Starship Troopers minus the History and Moral Philosophy course, essentially.

12. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Textbook of Radiographic Positioning and Related Anatomy -Bontrager K.L +_+ Barely any good info in it...

13. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

I'm currently reading "The Halfling's Gem" of the Icewind Dale Trilogy. I read the dark elf trilogy last week, and once I finish this book I plan to start the next book in the Drizzt series.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@revmaf

Arg, my $1 book purchase has suckered me into having to buy 3 more books at regular price :bang:

Whatta dirty trick :/ At least Ender's Game left me with a cool ending ;/

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Taking on the abridged version of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbon (Monkey? Books? Ook!?)

16. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Just finishing rereading Mort by Pratchett and then going onto the second book in K. J. Parker's Engineer Trilogy: Evil For Evil. I like to have comics and short stories to read while I'm reading a novel lest my mind should wander, so I'll also be reading smatterings of Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard and some Supreme Power GNs that a mate at work lent me.

17. revmaf

@Enagonios, I love Ender's Game. And guess what? I recently found out by perusing his web site that it's my nephew's favorite book! Hmm, must be in the genes. Are you related to me?
    Sorry, personal question, I take it back. ;)

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Infoquake - David Louis Edelman

There was some noise made on the blog scene about this being a contender for the Philip K. Dick award (it wasn't). Now I understand why; it's really very good.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

haha I don't know of any relations I have in Tennessee revmaf, maybe in South Carolina ;)

I just finished Fletch Won and Fletch's Moxie by Gregory McDonald. Love his Fletch stuff.

20. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

I'm currently reading Starless Night by R.A. Salvatore and I recently finished The Legacy. All I can say is he needs to let the good guys live and kill the bad guys, not the other way around. Bastard keeps killing the good guys. Makes you love em, then oops, they died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.