1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Gaiman is a master. Stardust was a masterpiece. likely the movie will be crap. expect it already so you dont feel too bad about it later.

this is ****ed up. when did we start giving space for whoever anyway.

but good luck and good owrk for those who are fighting this kind of free (?) stuff.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    A Game of Thrones seems good, I'm just struggling to find decent big slots of time to read it properly. So I keep picking it up, putting it down, picking it up again and forgetting half of the story and getting lost. The problem with books is that they really monopolize your time!

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. Seems quite good.

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Dinsdale, located it online and ordered it. Yeah, my father always declined to discuss it - didn't understand why till I was an adult.

Just finished Dean Koontz's Brother Odd, third in his Odd Thomas series. As good as the first book, better than the second. Takes some interesting theological twists, too, and has some baddies worthy of any dungeon I've visited.

Now starting Caesar: Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy - it's been well reviewed but the proof is in the reading.

5. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Great! I hope that you like it, revmaf.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Midnight Tides" by Steven Erikson. Getting so much out of it on a second read. Love the bit where Trull Sengar wonders "who will answer this monstrosity?" - now that we know from Bonehunters [slight spoiler alert] which two mighty characters are indeed on a collision course that may result in one or both of them "answering the monstrosity."

Really, Erikson's scope of vision is colossal.

Barmy, glad you're still enjoying Game of Thrones.

7. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just started 'Conjure Wife' by Fritz Leiber.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I can't wait. It will be released here in April. :)

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's fantastic, Chandos, but completely different from the previous books on the series. Boldly takes place on a whole other continent, but still manages to tie in with the other books and has action that is vital to the overall arc of the series.

Some very cool new characters too, like Tehol Beddict and his manservant, Bugg.

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just started on Alan Bullock's Hitler - A Study in Tyranny – IMHO the authorative work on Hitler.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Chandos

wow, why so late? :eek: iirc it was released here maybe a year ago. Bonehunters has already come out too but in that large paperback form. his stuff is always out of stock though, afaik only one bookstore carries Erikson and it's pretty expensive. I just got everything until Midnight Tides but I haven't started Gardens of the Moon yet.

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I am reading every single computer game manual I own. This is what bordom can do to you.

13. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just started 'No Mercy' by Colin Forbes and it has been pretty good so far. Weird, but good.

14. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Diablo: The Sin War book 1: Birthright
    By Richard A. Knaak

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@TBA

that's one of the Tweed books, right? Which one is that again? On my part, still on Lord of Light. It's goob but for some reason I've stalled and kinda lost interest.

16. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Yeah, it is a Tweed book but I cant really tell you which one it is as it is my first book by Colin Forbes that I have read and I dont really know much about the series

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Oh okay. Iirc that's the one about the Al Qaeda? If it is, it's the best among his new stuff. Anyway, go back to his older Tweed stuff, it is light years better than the most recent 3 or 4 books. I have his last, "The Main Chance", but have yet to read it. I was thrown off by the previous book "Blood Storm" which was utter crap.

18. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Havent really read into it much and I havent seen anything about Al Qaeda. All I can tell you is that there is a guy who after witnessing a murder suffers from amnesia and that they have found 2 decimated bodies, one covered with snow to look like a snow man on the side of a road and another down a shaft near by.

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

War of the Flowers, Tad Williams.
    Enjoying it.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Year of the rogue dragon trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.