1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm going to start Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson... after reading Elantris, I'm very excited to see his second offering.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Forest Mage by Robin Hobb - first book of the new year.

4. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Having finished 'Memories of Ice' on monday I started with 'House of Chains' yesterday.
    'Midnight Tides' and 'The Bonehunters' are already waiting on my bookshelf :)
    Since having discovered Steven Erikson's Malazan series last month I can't stop reading it.

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Bout to start the city watch trilogy by Terry Pratchett

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Warcraft Omnibus. (for all your reading needs)

7. Kjartan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Re-reading Homer's Iliad, then moving on to the Odyssey!

Concurrently reading Will Durant's "The Story of Philosophy." I highly recommend anything by Durant, but especially his "Story of Civilization" series (11 books in all).

8. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    Reading Bhagavad Gita again, and Tao Te Ching again...and the ToEE manual when I'm on the loo...

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Actually, it's a good read in preparation for The Bush Betrayal by the same author. :hahaerr:

10. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Kjartan says:
    Ditto. Old but good.

11. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    "A Brief History of the Anglo Saxons" (can't remember the author at the moment).

"With the Old Breed on Peleliu and Okinawa" by Eugene B. Sledge. I've read this one a few times but keep coming back to it. This book is one of the very best first hand accounts of the war ever written.

12. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Dinsdale said,
    My father was on Peleliu - served in a combat field hospital as surgical assistant. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to find it.

13. Duffin Gems: 13/31

I'm reading Peter Kay's autobiography, it's very interesting finding out about all the jobs he's had and the stuff he got upto at school. I find myself laughing out loud whilst reading it which is a rarity in a book. If your a fan of Peter Kay I'd highly recommend it.

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Moby-Dick.

It's surprisingly catchy.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Reread Greg Bear's Moving Mars, liked it a lot (had forgotten, well, everything), now rereading his Slant

16. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    I hope you find the book, revmaf. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Peleliu was quite the hellish battle. It was a lot like Iwo Jima in character but ended up being practically forgotten.

17. el timtor Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Finishing The Amber Spyglass , third book in Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

I also read Stardust by Neil Gaiman, and now I'm wondering how well the motion picture version will turn out.

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Some of the data in Durant's well-thought of series is outdated. But there is a core of accuaracy still in his books, and his writing is excellent. He approaches his subject matter with a degree of warmth and sensitivity, which is rare in the "revisionist" mode that is popular with many currrent historians.

19. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I loved that book. All three in the series in fact.

20. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Just finished Orhan Pamuk's "My Name is Red". Starting another book by him. We're very successful at marking our good authors as "traitor", even the first Nobel winner Turk... A shame of our country. Oh, sorry we aren't in AoLS. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.