1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] I am enjoying “Star Wars: Outbound Flight” so I thought I might read some other Star Wars books. I looked at the list of them all on Wikipedia and was completely confused as to what to read. I know that some of you guys have read Star Wars books so can you point me in the direction of what to read next?

2. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I liked the Han Solo trilogy by AC Crispin. The "Tales..." books are also great (Tales from Jabba the Huts Palace, Tales of the Bountyhunters, etc.), they're shortstories about characters that have very little screentime in the movies. There are others good ones, but I can't remember which ones, It's been a while since I've read any.

3. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The 'Shadows of the Empire' Trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Shadows of the Empire trilogy is great - where as most of the other Star Wars novels are of somewhat dubious quality. It pretty much kicked off most of the subsequent Star Wars novels so it is a good starting point. It stands on its own provided that you have watched the original three films.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Anything from Timothy Zahn, he's without doubt the best Star Wars writer.

I read some newer books relating to movies 1,2.3, they are mostly rubbish, only good one was the Revenge of the Sith.

[ September 29, 2006, 15:18: Message edited by: Trellheim ]

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, Timothy Zahn did write "Outbound Flight" and it is fairly readable. Looks like the Shadows of the Empire is the place to start then.

Hmm, the library only seems to have Heir to Empire by Mike Baron, not Timothy Zahn. Rude.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Zahn is, without question, the best Star Wars writer. Whether that says more about Zahn's writing or the authors chosen to do SW work, I leave for you to decide.

Do yourself a favor and skip the Jedi Academy trilogy. And the Black Fleet Crisis. And the Crystal Star. And probably a few others I finally managed to expunge from my memory.

The X-Wing series is entertaining enough, though Allston's books are much more entertaining than Stackpole's.

The thing to keep in mind about the SW books is that while they are sometimes entertaining, they are (with the possible exception of Zahn) never 'good'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.