1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Review - Bonehunters - Steven Erikson

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Bonehunters – by Steven Erikson

Sixth book in the Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series

Rating (for the illiterate): * * * * * (5 out of 5)

Short Review (for the impatient):
    Convergence is the name of the game here. If you liked the previous five books, you’ll get a kick out of this one.

Long Review (for the curious or bored):
    Wow. How does Erikson do it? Bonehunters is the sixth book in Steven Erikson’s colossal Malazan series and it is every bit as epic as the previous five. I cannot comprehend how he manages to write these enormous books so quickly and still make them such compelling reading.

Bonehunters is the book that starts to draw together some of the seemingly unrelated strands that have been developed in the previous books. The way that some of the plot lines start to come together really makes me wonder if he actually had a grand plan for all of this. If he did, then the man’s vision is astounding. If he’s making it up as goes along, his improvisation skills are outstanding.

Having said all this, I still find much of what happens in Bonehunters to be completely baffling. I’m not sure if it is just me being dumb, or whether Erikson deliberately aims to make his readers feel confused and in the dark. In many ways, this makes his writing even more fascinating for me, because the whole thing is a giant mystery to be unravelled. The accumulated hours of confusion make for a rewarding payoff when a penny finally drops (or when he finally reveals a crucial plot element for you). Nonetheless, this is still not a book for the faint hearted. It is long and requires concentration. If you’re after a light, easy read, then this is not the book for you.

So what is this one actually about? Well, as usual, the key action revolves around the siege of yet another city. This time, it’s one called Y’Ghatan where the Malazan army has chased the remainder of the Raraku rebels to. But this action occurs fairly early in the piece and does not form the epic climax of the book, as it does in some of the others. In fact, Bonehunters probably has the greatest number of separate storylines of any of the other books. These storylines include, but are not limited to:
    - the further travels of Icarium and Mappo
    - the adventures of Cutter (although I have no idea what he is trying to do)
    - Ganoes Paran’s continuing development as Master of the Deck
    - the very amusing exploits of the Toblakai Karsa Orlong
    - a link up with Tiste Edur from Midnight Tides
    - interesting developments in the character of Adjunct Tavore
    - some new companions for Apsalar
    - the usual shenanigans of the soldiers of the Fourteenth
    - the devious plotting of Shadowthrone and Cotillion
    - the ravings of Iskaral Pust

So is this any good? In a word, yes. This book is every bit as solid as its predecessors and this series does not show any sign of slowing down or becoming stale (which is probably our biggest fear with long running fantasy epics). But the real payoff with Bonehunters is seeing things start to come together and the number of “oh, so THAT’S what’s going on!” moments of revelation.

If you enjoyed the previous books in the Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen then you will enjoy this one as well. If you haven’t read Steven Erikson before, then what are you waiting for?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I concur.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nice one, Joacquin. The other thing I love about this series is you have no idea what is going to happen next. Compare this to many other fantasy novels of the "quest to thwart the dark lord" variety where you know exactly how it will end.

With Erikson, I don't even know what the 'quest' is. There's something monumental going on in the background somewhere but I haven't got a clue what it is. The gods are fighting? Over what? Why? What is the point of Icarium? What is Laseen up to? What does Shadowthrone want? What is that Eres'al up to? Where is Anomander Rake? So many questions!

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Didnt have much to add, now I have some though.

I think I have a hunch of what the "main quest" is but Bonehunters managed to add even more depth to it. As I interpret things everythings revolves around the Crippled God and his descent onto the planet most of the story takes place on. That seems to be the main "threat that needs to be dealth with" so to speak.

5. Harbourboy

Yeah, it does seem that way, but who exactly is trying to deal with this threat? I don't see anyone who is open about having this as their motivation.

And what exactly is this threat anyway?

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Thanks for the review Harbourboy, I'm picking this one up first thing after I get back.

In what way would you rate it compared to the other books? In what order?

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Nice review, HB. I can't wait to read it. At the current release rate here in the US, it should be in about another 2 years, since we don't even have book 4 yet.

The quest which I find the most intriging is Quick Ben, Brood and the quest to save Burn from her sleep (at least at the point that I'm at in the books). Also, there is the problem of Paran, Rake, and the wagon of souls within Rake's sword; and the problem of Chaos over-taking them, which seems to be another one of the major quests within the Malazan sagas.

8. Harbourboy

Oh Chandos, things get MUCH more complicated than that as you go on. Can't say more, but you will get to see more of what happens to Paran.

Apeman, each one is a bit different. This one doesn't have the defining moment that "Deadhouse Gates" has (climax of Chain of Dogs) and it doesn't have the cutting social commentary and black humour of "Midnight Tides", but it does have tonnes of great characters and provides some real rewards for people who have managed to slog through the previous books.

If anyone is USA can't wait, I'd be happy to buy the remaining books here for you and send them, OR I sent Tal the link of an NZ Amazon-style website that sells the books as he can get Amazon-style commission if people buy from there (if he signs up as an affiliate). If he does, you could just buy them from there and have them shipped straight to you. Be the envy of all your friends!!

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This one loses you so you don't have a clue what you're reading as well, does it? :shake:

One day I'll read each Malazan book start to finish and maybe I'll get a different impression.

10. Harbourboy

Sure, it's not like reading the Sun, Barmy.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    I just don't understand how you can enjoy a book that you just don't understand. I have read about a quarter of Gardens of the Moon and gave it up because it frustrated me. I like to know what's going on when I read a book. That one just left me with a host of questions and popped my brain out. It's no good when you're trying to get obsorbed in it. Not a scratch on Hobb ;) .

12. Harbourboy

Each to his own. I like these books because they are so well-written, because the characters are so memorable, and because it's all so thoroughly absorbing. The fact that you don't know what is going on just puts you in the same shoes as the characters, because they are all in situations where they don't have all the information either. You unravel the mysteries at the same time as they do.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ate, aye each to his own. His writing is superb I'll give him that. You can bet I'll come back to them later and curse myself for leaving them for so long. As it is, they just do my head in!

Is this the order though: 1 - Gardens of the Moon, 2 - Deadhouse Gates, 3 - Memories of Ice and Fire, as they are the 3 I have from Erikson (and they're all bloody massive!)

14. Harbourboy

The order is:

1) Gardens of the Moon
    2) Deadhouse Gates
    3) Memories of Ice
    4) House of Chains
    5) Midnight Tides
    6) The Bonehunters
    7) Reaper's Gale (not out yet, but can't wait)

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I've been trying to finish _Shaman's Crossing_, but I need more toothpicks with which to prop-up my eyelids . Maybe that will keep me awake, since Hobb doesn't have a story that can.... :sleep:

[ June 16, 2006, 09:03: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

16. Harbourboy

Ah, the old Hobb v Erikson debate again? They're completely different writers. Hobb is a much narrower focus on or two characters, Erikson is giving you the history of half a planet, as seen through the eyes of 100 or so key players. Completely different stuff.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    I've never read Shaman's Crossing so I can't comment, but if you had read the Assassin series from start to finish you'd have a different opinion, Chandos.

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, having read both, I would still say that Hobb is not close to Erickson in scope and in world building. But equal in character rendering. Next month I get to read _House of Chains_ - and I am counting the days....

19. Harbourboy

Still not sure why you haven't just ordered the rest of the books from a website outside of the USA.

20. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just finished Bonehunters. This is beyond a doubt the best fantasy series EVER.

Has anyone read the books about Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (two characters from Memories of Ice), Blood Follows & The Healthy Dead. I need to get a credit card so I can order them from amazon. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.