1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

what is the moral of the story?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by teekc, May 16, 2006.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

when i was small, i read this coloured picture story book about this "pea princess". For anyone doesn't know this fairy tale,

Once upon a time,
    in a rainy night, someone was knocking at the castle door. The prince open the door and saw girl, wet. She said that she was a princess and it was raining outside and she need a place to stay for the night. The queen prepared bedroom for her. She stacked a lot of mattresses, so high that the princess needed a ladder to climb onto it. Also, the queen place a pea at the bottom of the stack-o-mattresses. The next day, the queen asked if the princess had the good night sleep. The princess replied that she felt as if there was a pea at the bottom of those mattresses. And the queen made her prince to marry the princess and they
    lived happily ever after.

this story suddenly came to my mind today and i can't quite figure out what's the point of the story. It has not advanture, not quite entertaining. It has no educational value, no moral at all, unless you count "nobility are borned into" as a moral. What's the point of the story? Or if anyone knows the origin of the story, please tell me. i want to sleep tonight, and tomorrow night and the day after and so on.

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Probably this story was made before the industrial revolution when nobility were soft and clear skinned as a sign of their "superiority" while the workers had many calluses and tanned skin and muscles from all the hard work they did.

The princess was thus identified as nobility because her pampered arse could feel tiny lump in what would be considered luxury in those times. I'm sure she made some lucky prince very happy. (Sarcasm is implied with the last statement.)

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Why does the story have to have a moral? Somethings are just to enjoy.

I agree with Dragonfly about the basis of the story.

The queen wanted a "real" princess for her boy and that was her test.

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Can't have a phony princess polluting that bloodline.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I think you've missed alot of the story. IIRC it was longer and the prince had been looking for various women to be his bride.

The prince made a petition that all women who are interested in becoming his bride should spend one night at the castle or something. Each had the pea placed under their mattress yet most didn't notice it or didn't mention it.

I think the moral of the story was something about the women who came to try to be the princess just wanted to marry for money/fame whereas the girl he did marry was there because... I don't know, she loved him or something?

Like I said I think you missed alot of the story or perhaps I'm wrong.

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

The moral of the story is that you should eat your greens! :lol:

7. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

He may have been told a different version of it, though yours is the one I recognise.

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

The version I know is that the woman realises something fishy is going on when she's asked to sleep on a huge pile of matresses. She therefore looks underneath them, spots the pea and proclaims this in the morning having actually had a perfectly pleasant sleep.

Moral - Use your brains.

Edit.

Oh well, wiki says something different

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Pea

9. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The moral of the story is to powerlevel. Get your ass up to level 40 in 2 weeks.

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    A good deal of childrens bedtime stories are nicer versions from rude adults bedtime stories.

So guess why the prince would want the most sensitive girl/princess, and guess what kind of sensitivity that would be.

How the story originally might have been is something each one can only imagine in their dirty and perverted minds.

11. teekc Gems: 23/31

turns out that this is one of Anderson's classic.

Most of his stories have strong moral. Match girl, red dance shoes, ugly duckling to name a few. Then suddenly this "pea princess". Why. Why. WWWWHHHHHYYYY!!!!!

this is a story written for kids. Moral should be easy and straight forward, easy to spot. i can't see the straight fowardness of the moral in pea princess.

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    The moral is simple - Marry a creampuff so you can have complete and total control over her :lol: :lol: :lol: Mind you the princes mother sounded a little controling herself.

13. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

as all other of H.C Andersen's stories it has got to have a moral! i have been told it a couple of times, but it has slipped my mind right now

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Abomination reminded me that story went something like:

All the royal families in the land sent the princesses to try out for wife. All failed the pea under mattress test. One dark and stormy night a beautiful (natch) young woman appeared at the palace gate. I don't remember if she claimed to be a princess. But for some reason the queen decided to try the test on her. She passed and, lo, she became the prince's wife.

Moral: You never know where your princess will come from or who she will be.

I still don't see why a story has to have a moral.

15. teekc Gems: 23/31

Well of course not all story needs a moral. but this fairy tale is from Anderson.

16. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That's what inbreeding is for!

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I recognize Abomination's version as well. The first one posted was missing some crucial elements, can't remember what they are though :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.