1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Paradise Snare, first book in the Han Solo trilogy. Quite good this far.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Only Eddings book I ever read was the one both he and his (i think?) wife wrote: The Redemption of Althalus. Somewhat entertaining but it tried too hard to be "cute" and "family-like".

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield at work at the minute. It seems pretty well done so far.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Barmy

That book is excellent. By the end I was nearly in tears :cry:

Which reminds me, I have to get my copy back from my friend and give it a re-read.

6. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I'm reading the dot Hack manga at the moment

7. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Currently I am reading Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz. I think I almost have all of his books that are in paperback at this point. One of my favorite authors and one that writes books I just cannot put down until I finish it.

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmm, I'll have to dig out some new Dean Koontz. I love his Odd Thomas books, and I think the new one is coming out soon. The Husband was awesome too.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    The Crystal Gorge by David Eddings. I've always liked his books but I'm finding that they are starting to get a little too predictable. His earlier books are definitely better.

10. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Barmy Army, Gates of Fire is Pressfield's best book. I re-read it once a year or so.

Currently I am just finishing up a re-read of the Baroque Cycle trilogy by Neal Stephenson, one of my favorite authors. The three books are Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World. I love them but hesitate to recommend them because you will want to read all of them to find out how the fascinating plot comes out, but they run nearly 1,000 pages each and require such a commitment of time and willingness to look up obscure references. But if you like alternative history (only barely alternative) you'll probably like these.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Barmy Army: Gates of Fire is one of my Top 10 all time favourite books. Good choice. Don't bother with any of his other books, though.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@HB

Agreed. Legend of Bagger Vance was one of the most boring pieces of crap I have ever slogged though. And it was a short read too. Tides of War was terrible, but maybe I'm just not into ship-to-ship battles. I haven't read his Alexander: Virtues of War but I heard it was midway between Gates and Tides. I have his Last of the Amazons, which is supposed to be Gates of Fire, but with/for women so I haven't really gotten "into" it.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm currently reading PC World magazine.

14. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Dan Brown- Angels and Demons

15. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Mary Gentle - Ilario: The Lion's Eye

16. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Barmy Army, I second Harbourboy: Gates of Fire is a splendid book. And I agree his other books aren't very good.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm not reading any books because Emerson and Thoreau have made me want to never open a book again. ****ing transcendentalists...

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Hero's Trial yesterday and moved on to the next book - Jedi Eclipse. I really wish that I had brought something else to read besides New Jedi order books but I guess I am stuck with them.

19. Harbourboy

I thought I was just too thick to understand it. Apparently it's some sort of really clever spoof of some famous Indian story. Not that I know any famous Indian stories.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ah. I guess I fall in that category as well, because when he revealed all that stuff in the end, I was all "where the hell did all this come from"? :confused:

Anyway, I'm still about to finish my re-read of Eric Nylund's excellent A Game of Universe. I need help deciding what to read next. The candidates are:

The favorites, Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe and Firelord by Parke Godwin, 2 of the books on my wish list that my mom was able to find and bring back.

The underdogs are Catalina's Riddle by Steven Saylor and The Fall of Reach, a Halo novel. I don't own an xbox or know anything about Halo, I only picked the book up because it was cheap as hell in a 2nd-hand sale and it was written by the aforementioned Eric Nylund.

Give your picks please, I'll be done with my re-read tomorrow night or thursday at the latest and will need to have decided by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.