1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm reading 'Promise Of The Witch-King' by R.A. Salvatore.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just finished The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson, awesome stuff. Am unsure yet what I'm reading yet. Supposed to be Pratchett's Wee Free Men but I can't find my copy :bang:

3. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I just finshed reading Darkvision (Forgotten Realms). Wasn't bad :)

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    _The Stone of Farewell_ by Tad Williams. So far it's a bit better than the _Dragonbone Chair_.

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Just starting Gardens of the Moon

6. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Re-reading Call of Cthulu, by Lovecraft

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Magister

Really? Maybe he's finally doing something right. I will never read another Bruce Cordell book again after reading Lady of Poison. Easily one of the worst FR books I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Right there with El in Hell.

Found my Wee Free Men, just started it.

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton. Just started

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished Wee Free Men by Pratchett, good stuff. About to start A Hat Full of Sky by the same.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just started Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Starship Troopers, Robert A Heinlein

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    In Retrospect - Robert S. McNamara
    Vietnam Wars 1945-1990 - Marilyn B. Young

Well. McNamara's book serves to condemn (though not necessarily intentionally) the Kennedy and Johnson administrations. Young's serves to condemn the Truman and Eisenhower administrations.

The implications of both are thoroughly depressing, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, relevant to the, ah, situation in Iraq--not that the situations on the ground are all that similar, but the situations in Washington are, very much so.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am finally back in the office again (starting yesterday) so I finally had my train commute reading time and managed to finish of 1635: The Cannon Law. I really didn't care for it - the plot had some good potential but the way it was written really did a wonderful job of making things sound a whole lot more boring than they had any right to be.

I started on Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. Zahn certainly is the best Star Wars author out there and how can you not be happy to see Thrawn again?

14. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I will start to read the fifth part of the Cleric Quintet soon, I found the four previous parts very good. The problem with them, at least for me, is that you finish reading the books so quickly! I read three of the books in about a weeks time, probably reading an hour or less per day.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Outbound Flight last night. It was very entertaining but I could have sworn that it contradicts Zahn's original trilogy so I have decided to reread the original trilogy to check. I started on Heir to the Empire this morning.

I still say that when it comes to the cool villain factor you really can't get much better than Thrawn. :thumb:

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Outbound Flight is great but I couldn't find any other Star Wars books in the library. Does Thrawn appear in some other books? Does he turn into a villain in other books? I wouldn't describe him as a villain based on what I read in Outbound Flight.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Thrawn was first introduced in Heir to the Empire. He is the Imperials top general who generally kicks the Rebel scum's *sses for most of the trilogy so from the point of view that Luke Skywalker is the good guy the Thrawn would by default be classified as a villain.

In subsequent books it has come to light that his main motivation in trying to conquer the galaxy was to get the galaxy ready to fight off the invaders that are mentioned in Outbound Flight but that was added long after the original trilogy was published. Back then Thrawn was just an Imperial Grand Admiral who took over after the Emperor and Vader died.

Oh, and if it sounds like I am failing to mention the trilogy's name - that is because it didn't actually have an official name. It has been called the "Thrawn Trilogy" or the "Heir to the Empire Trilogy". The second and third books are Dark Force Rising and The Last Command. The series takes place around five years after Return of the Jedi.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Thrawn ends up taking over the Empire??

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yes, at some point in time after Outbound Flight the Emperor recruits Thrawn and makes him an Imperial Grand Admiral and after the Emperor dies he takes over what is left of the Empire. Apparently he was kicking *ss around the outer rim during the events of the films and when he returns and takes over he shows the Rebels a thing or two about tactics.

20. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Fantesy, Moden Fantesy, Supernatural. I love them all! Some books based on computer games are worth a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.