1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just finished reading Darwins Radio by Greg Bear and now I'm starting Darwins Children. Excellent books.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Re-reading all of Terry Pratchett's Sam Vimes books...Night Watch at the moment...

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A Star Wars book called Shatterpoint. Its about Mace Windu. aparantly his old padawan went nuts and killed lots of scientists, and Windu has to find her. I am almost 200 pages into it and its really dull at the moment. Going to continue reading the new jedi order books after this. am 3 books into that series.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Night Watch was surprisingly moving.

Am about to start Interesting Times by Pratchett.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just started _Shaman's Crossing_ by Robin Hobb.

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Parasite Rex.

i'm a science guy. just amazing by the book's ability to describe factual scientific stuff dramatically.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am back in the office again so with my usual commute I actually had some serious reading time yesterday and I finally managed to finish A Feast for Crows. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I don't seem to remember there being cliffhanger endings in the previous books like there is in A Feast for Crows - and the fact that they won't be resolved in the next book makes it even more annoying.

I have started on Ghost by John Ringo. I am just a little into it but so far it reads like an exercise in trying to create the most evil bastard of an anti-hero possible. I will wait and see what Ringo does with this guy before making any sort of judgment on the book.

8. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I am rereading "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen" by H. Beam Piper for the umpteenth time.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Enagonios: Yeah...Vetinari was especially cool at the ending when he's talking to Vimes in the graveyard... :D

The thing I love about Pratchett is that he manages to make his books insanely hilarious and yet drives home a point equally well!!

PS: I just finished Thud! today and I must say I was extremely disappointed, compared to the quality of his earlier books...

PPS: Vimes > Carrot > Nanny Ogg >>>>> anything/one else... :D

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I disagree, Rincewind should also be on the left of > ;) Rincewind owns! Anyways, I've already read Maskerade so I'm now onto Feet of Clay.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Rincewind is really irritating for some reason...I find his cowardice very forced and not too funny at all...Nanny Ogg and the Hedgehog song however...PRICELESS!! :shake:

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

It seems that Ghost has multiple stories with the same character included in it. Ringo did the same thing very well in Princess of Wands. I have finished the first story and it was so over the top tht you just have to :shake: .

It has very little literary merit and the plot is completely implausible but it is a pulpy fun read. The same could be said for most of Ringo's work but this one is somewhat darker in tone. It certainly is a change of pace after consecutively reading the four published A Song of Ice and Fire novels.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Bah, Rincewind owns! :p

Anyway, I've stupidly misplaced my Feet of Clay so I'll read City of Splendors by Greenwood and Cunningham while I look for it.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I just finished Ghost. It turns out that there are three seperate stories about the one character. While the first one was amusingly over the top and pulpy the second and third ones were just plain dreck. All in all it is a book to be avoided.

I am starting on Angry Lead Skies by Glen Cook. I know that I said that I was not going to continue reading this series because of how disappointed I was with the last few books but I picked it up anyway.

15. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Tom Robbins "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates"

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Richard Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ziad, that is a great great book! Dawkins rules.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Last night I finished Angry Lead Skies. It wasn't bad but at the same time it certainly wasn't good. I may be somewhat more unreceptive than most to its plot but quite frankly I really don't like it you have a perfectly decent medieval sword and sorcery fantasy setting and then suddenly in book 10 the author decides to spice things up by throwing in aliens, flying saucers, and high tech gizmos.

On the commute to work this morning I STARTED AND FINISHED reading Micah by Laurell Hamilton. The book has a fairly low page count to begin with so I wasn't expecting it to take long to read but I quickly found that it was using a type face and spacing scheme that you would normally find only in a book for the visually impaired. This wasn't a novel, it was a short story being packaged to look like a novel and being sold for a novels price. As with everything Hamilton has written lately it was very poor so all in all I would say Micah is definitely a book to pass on.

Next up is going to be Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo.

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    So far I've found it very interesting, partly because I'm a biologist. However his tendency to force his point in with the literary equivalent of Crom Faeyr can be a little too much. I understand his motivation for imposing his view, but in several places in the book he's basically saying "if you don't agree with me you're a a medieval idiot", and I find this a little annoying.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I find Dawkins' approach to be entertaining. He has to have a style like that, otherwise that sort of writing would be inaccessible to non-biologists like myself. Actually, Stephen Jay Gould is a bit more entertaining than Dawkins in that respect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.