1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Christopher Paolini

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sydax, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I got a mail from a Book store that my girfriend is signed and got an offer for a book from this guy.
    It seems that the book is a best seller in USA, also, I searched information and the guy is just 15, and in some sites said that he didn't go to school, he 'self-learn' everything because his parents didn't found any adecuate school for him, but in the link here, it says that he graduated in a high school. Many call him the next Tolkien...
    So, is that good? It seems that is trilogy: Eragon, Eldest and the third to be published.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Your information is incorrect... He is 20 years old today (or maybe 21, cannot remember), but he was indeed 15 when he BEGAN writing Eragon (the first book in the inheritance series). Iirc he only had home schooling till High-School, but I cannot recall. Nevertheless his parents taught him, he did not self-learn everything ;) .

I think that both Eragon and Eldest are quite good books, but to call Paolini the next Tolkien? Not a chance... But hey! It may just be me... Especially the Hobbit holds a special place in my heart, seeing as it was not only my first introduction into the fantasy world, but also the first "big book" I've ever read.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Both books, Eragon & Eldest, are pretty good. Much better than most of the crap that is sold as fantasy (at least those that I have read). Still to call him the next great anything would be too early.

His flaws come mainly from his, perhaps skewed, knowledge of the English language. If you get those books, you will be entertained for the most part.

Only major problem with the plot, the elves are a race of Mary & Gary Sues in this book :rolleyes:

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Pfft - everyone is 'the next Tolkien' - I've yet to see a single book that resembles Tolkien's works at all. It's all just a bull**** marketing thing.

Edit: Just read some Amazon reviews - it gets trashed a lot, and sounds deserving of it.

[ December 25, 2005, 11:23: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

6. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Well, my mother in law bought them, but my sister in law says that there's someting better she will recommend to me this weekend, I'm still don't know what it is.
    Sorry Tal, I still don't have credit card so I can't buy from Amazon yet because all my papers are still in progress. But soon I will :D

7. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, I've read Eragon and I didn't really like it. It is well written for a 15 year old but probably still not worth your time.

What bothered me the most was that he copied so much from other authors (Tolkien, Le Guin to name a few) and nothing original came up. Also, he used slightly altered actual place-names... kind of stupid really...

Anyway, if you want to read it then borrow it, buying would be a waste of money.

8. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Well, I got Throne 's games (sp?), Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin; if I like the book, I'll buy the other 2.

9. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Well, this Eragon thingy is keeping the 12 year olds in my school enthralled. I'll stick to my own books, and (/plug) continue writing my one (/plug over)

10. Newfie Banned

I hear they are making a Eragon movie sometime this year. Not too shabby for a fifteen year old's books.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't see why people seem to think his being young is a mitigating factor for the book's shoddiness. Sounds like he's getting a free ride...

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A lot of people like the book, really like it.
    ie: Anne McCaffrey is one of my favorite authors.
    She likes Eragon
    therefore: The book must be good

Did I hear you say that is poor logic? Suits me fine.

Considering the fact that a lot of fantasy follows the same formula I don't understand why people are condeming the book because he 'copied' from other fantasy.

Lets see Hero appears, usually some poor or cast out, lost heritage. Evil is stalking the land. Hero proceeds to have adventurers that eventually lead to the destroying of the evil. Dragons good or bad are always popular. Elves, dwarves, gnomes , ogres, giants, vampires, ghouls, zombies, weresomethings are common fodder. Hobbits are of course pure Tolkien and you risk a law suit if you call them by that name.
    By the way there are people who do not like LotR!!!
    Yep, that's right.

Not everyone likes the same thing which is why I do not recommend books to people. I'll tell them about the book but if they want to read it that is their choice.

13. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I totally agree with you Nakia! I mean do any of you guys have any idea just how many things Tolkien copied just from Norse Mythology? Names such as Gandalf, Mittle-earth, Durin, Dvalin, and many more are direct rip-offs of persons/creatures in norse mythology.

Imho, the only reason why people would have problems with this is because of the place that LoTR have in their hearts. Yes, it was one of the first of its kind, but we might as well face the fact that future authors will always refer to not only real happening and mythology, but also other books that held a special place in their heart...

14. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I found Eragon and Eldest to be enjoyable, but Tolkein they aren't.

And I definately agree with Nakia. There's only 12 original plots in literature, so there's bound to be similarities to other books.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.