1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    About a quarter into the first book of Tad Williams' Otherland. It's been rather frustrating, as parts of it are quite good, while others are either too bizzare or just plain uninteresting to engage me. I'm not liking the VR aspect of the book.

I'm also completely at a loss to see how Otherland is four volumes. The basic story seems simple enough to resolve in one.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah, well it's not so simple to resolve as you might think :)

I'm not sure what has happened only a quarter into the first book, but things get rather complicated, and much of the story takes place in the VR world. What seems bizarre now will begin to make sense as you learn more about what's going on.

3. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I just finished The Wolves of Calla (Book V of the Dark Tower Series) by Stephen King, excellent stuff. I'll definetly get the last two volumes.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Otherland is the most drawn out story ever. It could easily have been cut to a third of its size and be much better off for it.

It is worth reading though but there are long stretches of uninteresting transports.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Newfie - Deadhouse Gates rocks. It only gets better too.

6. Newfie Banned

I know, Harbourboy. I just love fantasy set in a desert or winter setting and we have the prison setting as well. With the desert setting, I just imagine how much fun an archeologist and an anthropologist like Erikson is going to have. Bring on the forgotten sites!

[ January 17, 2006, 01:12: Message edited by: Newfie ]

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I'm about a third of the way through Gardens of the Moon. Anomander Rake has just showed up.

I;m also reading Golden Fool, and Forever Odd, the sequel to Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. My reading list rocks!

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Anomander Rake is one of the my favourite characters in any book. I tried to play an Anomander Rake like character in BGII but it didn't really work.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Reading: Guards!Guards!

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Finished Myst: Book of D'Ni. Not bad. Also finished Fletch and the Man Who by Edgar Mcdonald. All of the Fletch stories are brilliant. Funniest stuff I've ever read, bar none. Right now I'm reading An Eye for an Eye by Gerald Seymour.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Deadly Quicksilver Lies yesterday - it was o.k. but definitely a big step down from the earlier books in the series.

I have started on the next book - Petty Pewter Gods. So far it looks like it is another step down in the quality department.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

forgot to mention, also read the new book in the new FR series The Fighters. Master of Chains by Jess LeBow. A good idea, just poorly executed :rolleyes: haven't given up on the whole series yet though. I'll give the next book a shot when it comes out, it may be better.

13. Newfie Banned

I wouldn't bother Enaganios, Ghostwalker is even worse than Master of Chains. Forget WOTC, pick up Gardens of the Moon and read some intelligent fantasy. Plus the Malazan books are so long, you have lots of reading material to keep you busy and save on your pocketbook.

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I didn;t mind the cleric series, I quite enjoyed it, even just for research for fanfics

15. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have just started reading 'Mizora: A World of Women' by Mary E. Bradley Lane. Apparently its a Victorian feminist-utopian science fiction novel set inside the (hollow) earth, oh my!

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Having finished Midnight's Children (which actually turned out to be quite good, after slugging through the somewhat irrelevant beginning) - I'm now reading Always Coming Home by Ursula Le Guin.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I read Lady of Poison in the Cleric series. It was quite possibly the worst FR book I've ever read. Okay, thanks Newfie. Problem is: Erikson's books aren't readily available here. They had the whole collection maybe 9 months ago but I didn't have enough money to get it at the time so I passed on it. Now that I DO have the cash all they have left are midnight tides and house of chains..

Am about to start The Key to Rebecca by Ken Follet.

18. Newfie Banned

Check out your library, Enagonios. They are pretty popular fantasy books so they might have them. Key to Rebecca is a great Ken Follet book but I liked Triple and Eye of the Needle a little more.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ah, I'm afraid 3rd-World libraries aren't like the libraries you guys all seem to be used to :eek:

Maybe I'll get lucky and some relative will be visting the U.S. If so, I can order via Amazon, have it sent to the U.S and have it carried home by my relative.

20. Newfie Banned

You can get your hands on all the new WOTC stuff but not Erikson? Dungeons and Dragons must be really big where you are. Erikson is pretty big in North America and Europe so you probably can get your hands on it somewhere. Just goes to show how many little things we take for granted here in Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.