1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Naked mages.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Bloke with sword, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Bloke with sword Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Throughout the entire game is there one single mage robe thats ever made you say, WOW!

the only thing semi-good is the elven chain, but its not a robe is it. any suggestions? :confused:

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Robe of Vecna is the best. Other good ones are: Robe of the Good Archmagi, Robe of the Neutral Archmagi, Robe of the Evil Archmagi.

3. Lacessit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I've been kinda wondering where on ecould find good and neutral robes of the Archmagi. I only recently discovered evil in my umpieth rerun. :rolleyes:

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Sorry, I might have been wrong. At the moment, I cannot remember either (nor the people who I just asked) where to find a Neutral or Good Archmagi Robe in Shadows of Amn. I faintly remembered someone wearing it, someone who we usually don't kill; perhaps (s)he was in Throne of Bhaal, not in Shadows of Amn, if exists at all.

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

There's one Archmagi-robe in Trademeet from some salesman I think, though I don't know what alignment it's got?

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

spoilers...
    The Trademeet blacksmith has a good robe, a Drow merchant in Ust Natha sells an evil version, and Ribald sells a neutral version in chapter 6.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Both can be bought in Trademeet from the generic merchants, IIRC, Because I bought one earlier today.

I think there is one in the Underdark - either the Deurgar or the Potion selling Drow has a robe of the GA, because I suddenly thought I would look suspicious wearing it...

8. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Robe of Vecna was the best one I bought, didn't know that there were any Archmagi robes in BG2... :rolleyes:

:yot: Before entering the Beholder lair, one should allways wear the Shield of Balduran, from the same merchant... ;)

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

IIRC there's also a Robe of the Apprenti from the mage stronghold. Sounds neat, but I can't remember what it does or anything special about it.

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Robe of the good archmagi is in Trademeet, go to your minimap and search for the "Smithy" north of the Alibakkar's. In the Underdark from one of the three drow salesmen is the Robe of the EVIL archmagi, NOT good, (you wouldn't look suspicious wearing it, unless you weren't evil :p ). The nuetral comes from Ribald in the 6th act as someone has already mentioned. Robe of Vecna can be found from the merchant behind Ribald, (if you have the female BG2 Extra NPC's, (official one) installed). The robes of res's aren't too shabby either, they're really handy when you know you're going to face a certain element, (ie: fire res robe against Firkragg).

11. CamDawg

The Robe of the Apprenti is base AC 3 but it has no other bonuses.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

What do the Robes of the (insert alignment here) Archmagi do?

13. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

5 or 10% magic res, +1 or 2 to saves base ac 5.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    You can get a Robe of the Neutral Archmagi earlier if you manage to pry it out of Terminsel.

15. Magic Snack Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I don't remember that - how do you pry it out of him? I'm guessing you can't kill him to get it, so do you talk him into giving it to you?

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think you can pickpocket it. Like you can pickpocket most peoples' armour they are wearing - or even their body! (Think Valygar)

17. david w Gems: 19/31

More often that not, I don't bother with any robes aside from the Robe of Vecna if there's anything better around. As soon as I come across something like elven chain, the robes get binned.

18. CamDawg

IMO the Archmagi robes are much better than any suit of elven chain, save the Aslyferund elven chain. Regular elven chain is AC 5--same as a Robe of Archmagi except without all the nifty bonuses of the robes. Even magic elven armor isn't worth it, but that's wading into an AC vs. MR/save debate. I'm in the camp of always trading a few points of AC for better save bonuses and magic resistance. :)

Since we're talking elven chain, we must be talking dual/multi-classed mages. If it's a mage/thief combo, then the thief gets an extra penalty to stealth and pickpocketing wearing eleven chain to boot.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Why worry about AC at all as a mage? That's what stoneskin and your warriors are for.

20. david w Gems: 19/31

Exactly. It's only once in a blue moon I have my mages engage in hand-to-hand combat and for those instances I cast haste, stoneskin and mirror image, which pretty much makes them invulnerable to physical attacks for the duration of the fight. In those circumstances, AC doesn't matter a bit because whether they get hit or not they don't take any damage.

The Robe of Vecna I always grab as soon as I can because of the decrease in spellcasting times. The rest of the robes don't bother me although if I'm in a cheesy mood I grab the one that gives immunity to magic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.