1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

fantasy books with actual endings?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by fuddy duddy, Oct 16, 2005.

1. fuddy duddy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It seems that the trend is for fantasy books to come in a series as a moneymaking machine for publishers--and I don't mind a good fantasy series as long as each book has some sort of satisfying resolution, and not leave the reader totally hanging. I can understand some loose threads for sequels, but I can't stand it when books just stop with "then they looked toward the east, wondering what they would do next" or some such garbage. :mad:

So here's my question:

Can you post either good standalone fantasy novels or good fantasy series with decent resolutions in each book?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, SP has a great number that you can buy from Amazon here, and I would definitely recommend anything from the Dragonlance setting. Everything is either a trilogy, or a bunch of related stories for the longer series. I've never been disappointed with a DL book, and considering that I've got over a hundred, that's saying something. They're all very definitive, I think partly because there are several authors who write in this one campaign setting.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Same goes for FR, really... very much self-contained (even the mammoth series like Salvatore's). Others listed on SP that I know would fit the crieteria are in the following sections: Eberron, Greyhawk, C.S. Lewis, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony, J. K. Rowling. Others who've delved more into the remaining listed authors might be able to recommend more from there.

4. Vae Gems: 1/31

I highly recommend Piers Anothony's Apprentice Adept series, though it is exactly half science fiction and half fantasy. The Incarnations of Immortality series, also by Piers Anthony, contains the most intricately woven plot throughout it's seven books, but each books serves as the perfect example of a stand-alone novel. Each book centers around a different character and they are not released in chronological order. I'd classify it as fantasy, and the first novel "On A Pale Horse" is my favorite novel, but I realize that it might not appeal to all fantasy fans. The Incarnations of Immortality series is more a fantasy of the spiritual, set in an alternate world where magic and science are both commonplace and Satan advertises on billboards describing how much more fun it is to be in Hell as opposed to Heaven.

The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King, is also an excellent fantasy, though it too differs from conventional fantasy in many ways. But it's Stephen King, you'll either read it or not based on his name alone. ;)

5. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I would recommend the Discworld novels. They end, and the novels after are just other stories that happen to happen in the same place (or to the same people) - or in a different place (or to different people).

6. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes, I'll second that, the Discworld novels are fun and not too long, and each books end without "destroying" the plot for another. Good series.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Discworld's great :thumb:

Sometimes the stories do follow (such as the Granny Weatherwax novels), but even in this case they're different and unrelated stories happening one after the other, rather than one continuity.

If you're actually looking for stand-alone novels then I would in fact NOT recommend The Dark Tower. The novels do follow, and I think reading them out of order will not make any sense.

8. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Guy Gavriel Kay writes good stuff, as do Tad Williams and Freda Warrington. Dianna Wynne Jones is amusing (writes for kids as well as adults). Garth Nix also good, esp Sabriel: even though it's aimed at older kids it is still an enjoyable read for adults. All of the above are good if you want something a little different (although early GGK + TW not so ground-breaking).

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I would recommend trying Stephen Donaldson's The first chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Guy Gavriel Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry they are both trilogies each book finishes part of the story and time passes before the next part starts.

Also Stephen Donaldson's Mordant's Need is one story split into two books A Man Rides Through and The Mirror of her Dreams.

Try reading Roger Zelazny either the Amber series or his stand-alones.

Also try David Gemmell, Michael Scott Rohan, Louise Cooper, Sara Douglas and Elizabeth Haydon.

10. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hehe, I like when stories end like "then they looked toward the east, wondering what they would do next". Kind poetic if you ask me.
    I have read a single Pratchett book - Guards! Guards! - and it was a stand alone novel.
    There is the DragonLance trilogy Dragons of Autumn Twilight - that is the name of the first book - but this is only good, nothing fantastic. It has a pretty deffinitive ending though.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

The best fantasy series I've ever read is "The Deathgate Cycle" a 7 book series by Weis and Hickman (the people who wrote the Dragonlance original books). This series is much better than the Dragonlance series, but it's unfortunately out of print. If you can find copies somewhere, I really really recommend them.

I'm reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" books now by George R. R. Martin, and I don't know if they wrap up tightly or not, as it's an unfinished series, but they're very good too. They are, however, more mature than most fantasy books, and less "magicky."

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

yeah, "The Death Gate Cycle" is one of the best. At least, best of what i've read (And, believe me, i have read a LOT :D ). And each book has pretty good. Final ending is also very good.

13. Klorox

I'm glad I got some backup there, thanks Ironside!

I really can't stress enough how awesome and original those books are!

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Good, yes. I dunno about one of the best, but... *shrug*

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Deathgate Cycle, really? may give it a try, i was kind of turned off by their Dragons of a Vanished Moon, blech :sick:

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Robin Hobb! She writes reasonably self contained trilogies that are also brilliant.

17. Klorox

Enag...: They're tons better than the DL books.

18. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31

definatly discworld series!

or anything from Terry Brooks, especially the "running with the demon" series.

19. Misery Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

if you're looking for something a little weightier, I'd recommend reading both Steven Erikson and China Mieville

Erikson's Malazan series is a bit of a commitment but is well worth the effort; some superbly imagined and mould breaking fantasy, with each book standing well enough as a tale in it's own right, although with an underlying plot arc that appears to link all the books together

Mieville on the other hand writes discreet tales only tenuously linked to each other within the same dark setting. While his plots could perhaps do with a little tightening up, his writing is almost breathtaking in its elegance, and the imagery presented in his books makes for enjoyable reading

20. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I won't be mentioning anything groundbreaking, but the Deathgate cycle and Discworld are the only series I know where the books are really self-contained. Well, Deathgate only half. Only the first half of the series is wellcontained enough for your liking probably, because starting from the fourth book on it more stretches into a continuous series, but they are actually small enough to be considered one book.

Tad Williams wrote a rather good standalone fantasy book, The War of the Flowers (or something like that). It doesn't says anywhere it's part of a series, although with fantasy you never know. But it really ends.

The Truthsword series by Terry Goodkind is pretty selfcontained too.

I personally don't mind as much if a fantasy novel doesn't have a real ending since I love the concept of series, mostly, the longer the better, as long as the universe doesn't become boring.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.