1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good news: A Feast For Crows done

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Wildfire, May 30, 2005.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I know, I screamed out loud this morning for pure joy. Even when I read he split most of the book between A Feast and A dance. It matters not, all his chars are at the least interesting, if one or two do not appear in this book the others will certainly balance things out.

The loss of Tyrion in this book is a big blow I have to admit. Oh that doesn't mean he dies in this book, it means he is in A dance. Thought I'd clear that out, you never know with Martin :D

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Woohoo!! I can hardly wait till it reaches the "Elf store" here in Delft :D

What does he mean "books", as in a Storm of Swords was one book? Or does he mean physical books?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So when is it coming out?

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

This fall I read in GRRM's comment.

@Morgoth

He means the entire series.

1 A game of thrones
    2 A clash of Kings
    3 A storm of Swords
    4 A feast for crows
    5 A dance with dragons
    6 Unknown (because of the split)
    7 The winds of Winter

I think he splits the 1700 pages manuscript of feast between feast and a dance. That means the important parts of a dance (most likeley Deanerys' chapters) will stay in A dance, and the planned rest will likely appear in the first to last book (which I dont think has a title yet). I know he has a title for the last book but I cant remember it.

Martin originally wanted to write a trilogy :D

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Some of those other books must have been split up in the countries in which I was living when I read them because I read one called "Blood and Gold" and one called "Steel and Snow".

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Huzzah!

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

@joaquin

Yeah that's a storm of swords. I think they originally had a single hard cover volume, for the paperback version they decided on splitting it. Considering it has about 1500 pages it's quite logical.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

we got our paperback copy of storm of swords in one book though.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  11. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hurrah!! Hurrah!! Finally!! Can't say I'm thrilled with the 2-book plan -- but then again, this story is so well grounded, I don't think it much matters how it's presented -- it can well stand on its own in any form.

I was hoping he would be doing a book signing of it at the Conestoga 9 here in Tulsa in July, but it doesn't look like that'll happen -- but any of the others will do just as well! :D

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Just for general information, Martin has a history of writing (or being involved in, at any rate) huge honking books that publishers want split.

He edited a kick a$$ series called "Wild Cards" in the 80s and 90s, and the 6th(?) book they wanted to publish was over 1000 pages long. So, they extracted one storyline from the big beast and published the main portion as "An Ace in the Hole" and the smaller one as "Dead Man's Hand". Anyone who has not read this kick buttinski series should do so at their earliest convenience.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Nice. Very nice.

14. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I just finished the first three books and am now eagerly awaiting this next installment. I was worried when I started out that this series would end up slow and not really get anywhere (as I have felt with Robert Jordan's series), but almost every chapter is riveting and I feel like I know the characters personally. I can't believe I've been missing out on this stuff.

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I think I dropped one in my kilt when I saw the title to this topic! :p

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I knew A Feast for Crows wasn't coming out that soon... Amazon.com has shifted the release date to November 8 now. It'll be lucky if it's out by the end of the year.

17. Harbourboy

Bah, the longer this goes on, the less I'm looking forward to it. I was really excited about this two years ago but now I'm getting bored of waiting.

18. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'm sure not :p

The important thing is to not expect it too much. It's best to just forget about it. If you dont, your mind just builds up the illusion of all that it could be and when you finaly get it in your hands, it doesnt turn out that great.

Well, that's mostly for the games, but it also applies with books, only in lesser amount. ;)

19. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I've been re-re-reading the books. Just breezing over the boring character parts... catching up on the ones that I didn't understand fully last time. It's just as good the 4th, 5th time around.

November 8, still. Good news, mayhaps.

20. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Hell, that's if you can actually REMEMBER all of the damned characters...

My head is just spinning thinking about it. I love this series, but GOOD LORD there's a lot to remember. I'll have to back up and re-re-re-read the first three books just to remind myself of what happened to who, when it happened, where it happened, and who else was involved... Maybe I'll just wait it out for another ten years!

That is, IF the series is actually completely finished by then!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.