1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Starting on Jack the Bodiless as part of my Galactic Milieu reread. Also kinda reading To Kill a Mockingbird for school - which is so far one of the most boring books I've ever read...

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Amaster

I´m kinda with you on that one. I just read Assassin´s Quest a couple of weeks ago but I don´t really see ow the ending was so great :bad: I was actually feeling bad for a few days at how Fitz got screwed over :( Then again JSBB likes those bittersweet kinds of endings, like the one in Fevre Dream :p

3. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

James Clavell: Shogun.

I'm also reading (with my daughter) an anthology called "The Swan Sister and Other Tales"--various fantasy and SF authors writing their own takes on familiar fairy tales (Sleeping Beauty, et al).

4. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I just started reading The Black Raven by Katharine Kerr, it's from the Deverry series.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@el Timor

that's an EXCELLENT book. Reading that was the reason that I picked up Taiko to explain all the allusions to the past within Shogun.

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The poetry collection by William Butler Yeates

7. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I've been struggling through the first 2 books of War of the Spider Queen. It took me 2 tries to get through Insurrection and I've finally put aside Dissolution -- just couldn't get through it for some reason. I've loved all the Drizzt books and basic books about the Drow, but this set of tales is just leaving me cold. :nolike:

8. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm reading G.R.R. Martin's Game of Throne. Great book I say. I dare to say this is the best book I've ever read in my 17 year life (turned to 17 a week ago).

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Spelly

seriously?? :eek: imho the WotSC series is WAY better than the Drizzt books. Barring of course Homeland and The Lone Drow :/ (and Crystal SHard but that wasn't really about him anyway :D )

I'm now reading Spartan by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    WotSC didn't do much for me, either. Then again, I haven't read a FR novel in upwards of a year now, so I might not be the best judge.

Just finished The Alleluia Files, by Sharon Shinn. Was a nice ending to a satisfying trilogy.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm 1/4 of the way through 'Ship of Mgic' by Robin Hobb and I'm really enjoying it. Hobb has a great way with dialogue. I'm reading abaout a simple family argument at the moment, and it's riveting.

12. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

A good week for books for me: Re-read "H.P. & the Goblet of Fire". Still great, but just warming up for the new one.
    "The Final Country" by James Crumley, a detective thriller set in Texas. Not up to Crumley's best, but he's so skilled he could probably re-write the telephone directory and make it sound good. The "final country" is the country of lies, where love and hope die; not much fun, to be sure, but Crumley makes it compelling. And he does manage to find glimmers of hope amidst the wreckage.
    "Three Doors to Death" by Rex Stout. Three Nero Wolfe novellas, written with Stout's usual intelligence and dry wit.
    I'm halfway through "The New Pearl Harbor" by David Ray Griffin, a calm, lucid book that raises some disturbing questions about the administration's handling of 9/11, quite different in tone from most writing on this volatile subject, and relentlessly logical.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Deathstalker. It had its good moments but the plot really got out of hand at times - particularily towards the end.

Everytime you turn around there seems to be another even more powerful uber character introduced who can single handedly cut down small armies of fully trained and outfitted marines. Even the characters who appear normal at first seem to inexplicably turn into uber-warriors at the drop of a hat.

You really have to wonder why they even bother investing in the military given that they always seem to end up as nothing more than cannon fodder.

14. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Just finished "Riverwind The Plainsman" by Paul Thompson and Tonya Cook...and what a great read! It had a fast moving plot, interesting characters and races, gods and goddesses, lots of history, twists and turns out of the blue -- all packed into a mere 313 pages. Could hardly put it down -- one of the best, imo.

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Fevre dream by GRR Martin. It's a nice read so far.

I was wondering though how you pronounce Fevre. Same as Fever and/or what does it mean.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

AFAIK it's pronounced same as fever and i think (taken with dream in context) fevre dream means nightmare?

17. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I just finished up 'A Storm of Swords' by GRR Marting, and a very much looking forward to the next in the series. I the meantime, I am finishing up the 'War of the Spider Queen' series with 'Resurrection'. It seems pretty good so far.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Now onto Diamond Mask ... pondering whether I'll complete the whole series by rereading The Saga of the Exiles...

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Stephen Donaldson's "The One Tree"

Very, very good.

20. Smyther Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm currently reading 'The French Executioner,' by C.C. Humphreys. It's a good read so far, and worth the money, but it's nothing spectacular yet. I'd reccomend it to anyone who has an interest in Anne Boleyn or medieval France.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.