1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is your favorite RE-read?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Feb 4, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The other day I was too tired to tackle a new book but too awake to sleep, so I went to my shelves to re-read something. Used to be that I would pick out a volume of LOTR, but I didn't have any desire to do that. So now, my favorite re-read is the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. What's yours?

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I can't really name a specific book, so I have to say: any of the "Poirot" series by Agatha Christie. I read "Death in the Air" 3 times in a row and still found it cool...

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

It depends upon what I am looking for really. I tend to pick out books to reread in order to balance out having read too many books of another type. I also tend to favour relatively light books for rereading - they are more for quickly cleansing my literary palate than anything else.

Lord of the Rings is certainly #1 on my rereading list and if I want to inject some good quality epic fantasy into my reading list then it is what I reach for. It is the main exception to my favouring quick/light books for rereading.

I am currently rereading the Harry Potter series - it is a nice quick light fantasy read which is just what I need right now after going through several military science fiction novels.

On the Science FIction side my favourite reread is Elizabeth Moon's Serrano/Suiza series. They are fun and relatively quick light reading.

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

A toughy, but the most I've re-read a book is probably LOTR. That said, I doubt I'll be reading it again for a while.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Probably one of the David Gemmel books, I always enjoy them so they're perfect for rereading. That and Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy :)

6. Newfie Banned

The Dragonlance Chronicles by Weis and Hickman. Fourth time coming soon.

7. Champion of the Multiverse Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Only books I've found worth re-reading are LotR, AsoIaF, and 1984. And I know Planescape: Torment is a game, but it has a great story and I've replayed that quite a few times ;)

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

What is AsoIaF an abbreviation for?

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would guess that that is 'A Song of Ice and Fire' - the books by George R. R. Martin.

In addition to The Lord of the Rings (which I have re-read about 20 times), I would add Stephen Erikson's Malazan books. They are so complicated they really have to be read more than once.
    In general, though, I dislike re-reading books because there is barely enough time in a day to get around to reading all the new books I want to read.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Hmm, I guess so - I would have capitalized the S.

Funny, I didn't even realize that there was an A at the start of the series title - just one of these things that the mind skips over I guess.

11. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I read TLotR once a year. So I guess I've read it about thirty times. I also love to read the original Conan stories as well as the Year of the Dragon, R.E. Howards only Conan novel.You can keep that sissy Wolfgar, Conan is the real deal when it comes to barbarians.
    Right now I'm re-reading the Harry Potter novels. Just starting the Order of the Pheonix.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

A song of Ice and Fire for me as well. You miss too much in your first read and there are so many beautifully written character it would actually be a shame not to read it at least twice.

Can't get myself to read LOTR again though. The beginning....the ending....ugghh

EDIT:Typos

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The books I have reread the most are the Fires of Heaven and the Lord of Chaos from the Wheel of Time. Those two are really great, and most of my re-readings were done before hte series went down the drain and before I had enough money to buy most of the books I want.

14. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

The Lord of the Rings...yeah, it's a tough read, but I've re-read it more than any other book. Second on the list is The Legend of Huma, though it's definitely been a while. I've always loved that book.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Silmarillion - always notice something new, and always like something better than I did the first time.

Of course, rereading it too often would probably be a great way to drive one insane :)

16. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Ahh, yes, great minds think alike...

"Lord Valentine's Castle" by Robert Silverberg is another choice.

For SF, I think I'd have to go with Larry Niven's "Ringworld."

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Centauri Triology of Babylon 5.

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ditto. The only books I can recall re-reading are 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy series.

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    That's why I pretty much only re-read comics, and grim, gallows humor-laden comics at that--Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Fury, and so on.

What can I say, gallows humor amuses me. Example:

There's a battle. Enemies get exterminated. Officer asks, "Who are we going to interrogate now?" and is pointed toward the one enemy who survived.

The enemy soldier is missing both legs, his guts are leaking out, and a horrified expression is on his face.

I can't help but laugh, no matter how many times I re-read it.

I'm a bad person, I know.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    These books always draw me back. They are like old friends:

The Canterbury Tales
    The Odyssey
    Hamlet
    Walden

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.