1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Chomsky was here like a week ago... collected his honorary doctorate, gave a little political rant to a packed hall and skedaddled. They've been talking for like a year prior about how he was going to have at least one linguistic lecture (which would be infinitely more interesting for most of us), but nothing came of it. I guess Slovenia wasn't worth spending more than a few hours in. :heh:

So all we got was a same-old rant you can hear in AoLS any day of the year. Only it's infinitely more interesting here.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Would that be Noam Chomsky, Tal?

*shudder*

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have read some of Chomsky's linguistic work, kinda cool that the same dude can be a guru in two such different fields as linguistics and political science. I am going to buy his propaganda book the next time I am in the bookshop.

4. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Got The True Game (first 3 books) by Sheri S. Tepper and Ham on Rye by Charles Bukovski. Has anyone read The True Game, is it good? And I still haven't got past ch.1 of House of Chains and I really would like to get it done so I could get Midnight Tides... well, my girlfriend's working this weekend so maybe I'll get some reading done then. ;)

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    How many other famous Chomskys in linguistics and politics are there? :shake:

Yes, Noam. You aren't a student of his, are you? :D

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Ann Rice's Chronicle of the vampire curently Queen of the damn. I never tought twins could be so... important.

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Oh, I did read Da Vinci Code when I traveled, too - and I can only say Dan Brown is a hack.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    ...Aren't all his books propaganda? :p

Thank Christ, no ;)

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Finished Tom Clancey's Executive Orders a few days back.
    Then sped through Jhon Grisham's As the Crow Flies. Has anyone actually managed to read his Painted House. I think its lying about somewhere ...
    Now am a thrid of the way into Robert Ludlum's Cry of the Halidon.

@ Mithrantir
    Damn man, I cant get Illuminati anywhere here. And the only one I found online was in German.
    DaVinci Code may be a bit of a hack but it still is an interesting read. His Angels & Demons falls in similar category too. Deception Point however was pretty good stuff.

10. Arabwel

Media:
    Oooh, Ludlum is always good - I have several books of his that I rewallty need to re-read soon :D

Actually, I think I have Icarus Agenda's rread unfinished... yup. I have.

11. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The System of the World by Neal Stephanson. The semi-archaic British spelling is disruptive at times, but the book is gripping enough.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ludlum's older stuff was much better than his recent. With the exception of the Prometheus Deception. Awesome book. The Sigma something was crap though imo.

13. Newfie Banned

I could never much get into Ludlum except for the Bourne Identity. The last one I tried to read by him was the Matarese Circle and it got so convoluted with the sub plots and the history of the Matarese that I lost track of what the hell was going on. I like my spy fiction straightforward like Ian Fleming or Ken Follet.

[ April 15, 2005, 21:18: Message edited by: Newfie ]

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I really couldn't like Prometheus Deception since I had seen a movie around that time which had a similar plot and the book didn't seem like an original work to me. IMO Trevayne was one of his best.

If you thought Ludlums later stuff was not up to the mark, get a load of this:
    Apparently Robert Ludlum had quite a few story ideas lying about and his Estate has decided to bring them to life. They have contracted authors to convert his ideas to novels. The first being Bourne Legacy.

15. Arabwel

Media:
    i actually love Matarese Circle... Taleniekov is one of my all-time favorite characters. The two of them, him and Brasndon, they were so...t ragic *sniffle*

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and it was pretty good. The characterizations of the supporting cast got a lot better in the second and third books.

17. Newfie Banned

Sorry, I forgot the Holcroft Convenent was written by Ludlum: that was simply amazing. I heard Ludlum's Bourne series were being written by Eric van Lustbader, the guy who wrote wll that ninja crap. That's a shame as much as Robert Jordan writing Robert E. Howard's Conan. I think I might have enjoyed some more of Ludlum's stuff if I knew which ones to read. I didn't know what I was getting when I picked it up though.

18. Arabwel

Media:
    Which ones to read? Well, here's sone advice:

The Icarus Agenda
    The Matarese Circle
    The Matarese Countdown
    The Road to gandolfo
    The Road to Omaha
    The Bourne Identity
    The Bourne Supremacy
    The Bourne Ultimatum

I can't remember more of the english titles from toåp of my head... but PM me if you want more advice...

*goes back to re-reading the Icarus Agenda*

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A gardening book called "How to Garden"

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Shrikant

What movie was that?

I thought that the Osterman Weekend was very good considering that it was one of his shorter books where nothing was really "happening" but it kept me in suspense all the way until the end. Holcroft Covenant was also awesome but I disliked the way the ending was handled :sick: Another one that was pretty good but ended pretty lame was "The Gemini Contenders".

I'm actually more of a David Morrell fan myself. His older stuff I mean. "The Brotherhood of the Rose" is still one of my favorites ever.Gotta get to re-reading it after I finish with the Chronicles of Amber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.