1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Microeconomic Theory by Nicholson

Macroeconomic Theory (not sure who)

Introduction to Statistics (not sure who)

Friggin exams.

I'm trying to sneak in bits and pieces of Fevre Dream by GRRM when I can though :)

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Macro is a lot more interesting than Micro, and easier in my experience.

I am reading Wizard and Glass, the fourth Gunslinger book by Steven King.

3. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I'm not too sure if I agree with you on interesting, but it's definitely easier :/

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan.

It's getting badder....

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I always viewed Shadow Rising as my favourite Jordan book. Shadow Rising and Lord of Chaos are the peaks of WoT in my opinion. Then the drop is steep to Crown of Swords.

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Icewind Dale Trilogy - (Collectors edition in a single book)

So far I'd say HB pretty much summed it up in his review of the Halflings Gem.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished When the Devil Dances and I have started on Hell's Faire - again by John Ringo, it is the next book in the series.

I must say, I have never heard of a case before where an author was not able to meet the agreed publication date so the publisher decided to publish the first 2/3 as one book and the last third as a seperate book but that is what happened with When the Devil Dances and Hell's Faire.

Overall, they are pretty much more of the same as far as the series goes which isn't a bad thing given that if you have read all the way to book four then chances are you like it.

If you are looking for deep insightful character development this series probably isn't your cup of tea but if you are in the mood for almost non-stop all out warfare between humans and aliens then it is worth a read.

Things do tend to work out a little too neatly some of the time but that is pretty standard in the military sci-fi genre.

Edit: I finished Hell's Faire - it was o.k. but definitely a step down from the second book. The ending features far too convenient timing in my mind, sure this was sort of set-up as the plan back in book one or two but the just in the knick of time factor is a bit much.

I also was getting a little tired of Ringo's focusing so much attention on his female characters' breast size. I enjoy the odd physical description of a good looking female character as much as the next guy but enough already.

I have started on Cally's War by Ringo and Julie Cochrane. It is a spin off set forty years after Hell's Faire but judging from everything that I have read so far Ringo's involvement in writing the book was quite minimal. The book reads like a cross between a really bad James Bond book and a Harlequin romance. I am not impressed.

[ April 01, 2005, 15:39: Message edited by: JSBB ]

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished GRRM's Fevre Dream and it was pretty good. I'm about to start Roger Zelazn'ys Chronicles of Amber. I heard that it was similar to Eric S Nylund's "Pawn's Dream" which was awesome so I picked up the compilation of all 10 books in the series earlier today.

10. Newfie Banned

Marked for Death set in Eberron. A real borefest just like the rest of the recent wave of WOC books.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Thunder Run - David Zucchino

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Finished the Clash of Kings and going on with the next book (forgot it's name ;) ).

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Cally's War - what a load of garbage. The plot was virtually non-existant and was there solely to set up to justify a series of sex scenes. :nolike:

I have started on Heroics for Beginners. It is a parody mocking fantasy conventions - fairly standard stuff but reasonably entertaining so far.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

that would be "A Storm of Swords" :p what a pisser it's gonna be when you finish it and realize you're going to have to wait probably another year or more for "A Feast for Crows" to come out with the rest of us :bang: :p

myself, I'm partway through the 2nd book of Amber, The Guns of Avalon.

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    You'd like that huh?
    Well I got a bunch of other books waiting for me, so I won't get bored :p

But I just checked and I meant Steel and Snow, I've got Storm of Swords in 2 books.

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Val McDiarmid's (sp?) Wire in the Blood - a very gopod read, even if it has been a long time since I read the first book of the "series" - I like the way she screws with people's heads.

(I refuse to admit to having recently read a huge pile of Harlequins and having several more waiting *blush*)

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Heroics for Beginners - it had a couple of amusing moments but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. On the plus side it was relatively short. ;)

I have started Dying of the Light by George R.R. Martin. So far it has been dreadfully boring but I have barely started it so there is still some hope that it will get better. :(

18. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I'm about a 3rd in to George R.R. Martin's 'A Game of Thrones'. So far, it's been fantastic, and a great change from my FR and DL reads.

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Ship of destiny, last in the liveship trilogy by Robin hobb.

Love the series so far, another interesting view besided the six duchies.

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    ...Harlequins?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.