1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

9 days and 17 hours possible?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by StressedE, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I've started a new game with an imported dc Mage-2/Fighter-8. I made up the character as if I had played her through BG1 (which would take me about three days, but I won't waste time doing that).

The token mage levels are not a bad idea I think. They allow the character to use any mage items such as wands and scrolls, so in exchange for a few HP's this is a good deal.
    Staff of the Magi and Amulet of Power here we come. :D
    What do you think of this idea?

- XP
    It's not at all certain that you can reach the SoA xp cap when speed soloing. For example you might try to avoid all battles that aren't absolutely necessary, by using invisibility/stealth, which means rather few kills.

I asked about monsters killed to get a better idea of the playing style when comparing with my game.

- ToB installed
    Yes, I play with ToB installed as well, but as StressedE says, just don't press the level up button if you're at 2,950,000 xp and you're ok.
    Using ToB High Level Abilities could probably make things quite a bit easier.

- Weapons
    I like Azuredge +3 because you can buy it in the Copper Coronet so early. It's a nice way of killing undeads until you get can get an upgraded Mace of Disruption +2. Perhaps it can even replace the Mace if you can wear the Amulet of Power.
    I'm thinking about dual wielding Celestial Fury & Azuredge.

- Scrolls
    What about buying some scrolls for your character if she is mage? ;)
    How about using a the Time Stop scroll for when you get to Suldanesselar? Ummm... Finger of Death? Time Stop? Wail of the Banshee perhaps? Ultra cheese by reloading if the baddies don't fail their saves? :book: :coffee:

- Suldanesselar
    This is what it's all about, obviously. You have less than two hours to get to the end so what do you fight here? In what order do you go to the different buildings?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm afraid your thoughts about dual wielding Azuredge and Celestial Fury are amiss. Azuredge can be a ranged weapon and is therefore ineligible for dual wielding.

3. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Oops! Thanks for the quick heads up!

4. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I made up the character as if I had played her through BG1.
    In other words you gave her uber stats?

So how many monsters did you kill in your previous game?

Time stop + melee, ouch!

I always go down first keep going left,
    then fight the dragon,
    go up keep going right,
    awaken the geen hulk or something,
    and then use the most right bridge to get to the tree of nuts. :)

5. Walker Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I hate to ask this, because it has been so long since I played SoA without ToB, but is Daystar in SoA? Because if it is, that would be a good undead weapon.

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Daystar is in SoA, indeed.

Edit: Might I offer some advice to speedsters:

To get the $15000, it's easy, really...kill Kalah (around 700) then do the Lehtinan quest, good side...and that's another 700 (I think), plus Lehtinan has some nice gems you could sell.

A Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist might pay off because then you could cast invisibilitie with tough foes. Problem is, you probably can't beat Irenicus then.

Finish the Drow quests posthaste. Don't mangle with other stuff.

Don't talk to anyone unless you have to, or it activates a quest. You're not going be faster by talking to commoners on the street.

[ August 31, 2002, 12:28: Message edited by: Deathmage ]

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Yeah, she got good stats, but pretty normal ones for a character imported from BG1. :)

Start with 88 and add all the tomes. Initial stat first and stat after tomes are added in ().
    Str 18 (19)
    Dex 18 (19)
    Con 18 (19)
    Int 16 (17)
    Wis 15 (18)
    Cha 3 (4)

I forgot to add that the loss in HP's for taking two levels of mage is recovered once she gets her familiar. :thumb: The only bad thing with Mage-2/Fighter-x is that she can't dual to a kit or be a Barbarian for that matter.

The 15,000 gold is not a problem in itself, but you need plenty more. Donate to church to get Rep up. Buy Sling of Everard (15,750 gold at Rep 20 and Cha 24) as well as buying potions and scrolls (in my case anyway). I'd estimate that you need about 50,000 gold. This is just a minor problem, the trick is to get it as fast as possible and not even that is all that important.

Did you fight the dragon? :eek:
    You can leave all your stuff on the ground and avoid the fight, which probably saves time. You lose all your cash but then you don't need it anymore and anyway you could have invested in gems or something to stay wealthy. :p

Edited:
    - Daystar
    Yep, it's a good weapon. I think you'll get to fire off the special ability twice during the game: once in Athkatla and once you've sailed to Brynnlaw (which counts as a sleep).

Daystars enchantment levels are a bit more suspect.
    It says Daystar +2 (+4 vs evil).
    However Beige Tangerine says this
    This unfortunate programming flaw makes Daystar much less effective.
    You could use Beige Tangerine's fix which makes Daystar +4 vs everything and if you want to stay pure, switch to another weapon in those rare cases when the monster isn't evil:
    http://www.geocities.com/beigetangerine/custom/daystar/sw1h31.zip

[ August 31, 2002, 15:39: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

8. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Quests done:
    Circus tent
    Hendak + slaves
    Eyeless
    Haer'dalis & planar prison
    Fallen Paladins
    Solving skinner murders
    Sewer riddles
    Montaron
    Restoring Kangaxx
    Sir charles

Apart from sir charles I finished all the quests before leaving for brinlaw.

pretty normal stats?
    lol, did you take a look at my stats?
    I never donated to any church,
    but got my rep up to 19.

I couldn't avoid the fight.
    Probably wisdom, alignment or rep requirement I didn't match.
    Hmm, I'm not looking for a +2 weapon,
    or for a weapon that is more powerful than it is supposed to be.
    I'd rather use something like sword of balduran.

9. Earl Grey

[​IMG] I can easily cut about 15 points off those stats and it would have no impact (For example Int to 15, Cha to 3, Wis to 6). Since it's a speed solo just use a few potions to get wis and/or int up if you need it.

Daystar is supposed to be +4 vs evil, so I think using the fix is legit if you make sure Daystar isn't used vs non-evil.

I couldn't find the solution to Nizidramanii'yt, but if anything it would have to be Wis or Int based.
    My standard playing style is to donate until my rep is 17, then I do the slaver quests and the Tanner murders which put me at 20 rep. After that I buy stuff while wearing Ring of Human Influence and either cast Friends or use another item so the charisma is over 18.

10. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Money isn't going to be your biggest problem.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

In the Underdark, did you actually do the drow city, or did you take advantage of one of the many ways to avoid it? I would think that you could save an hour or two if you avoided it.

12. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I didn't do the drow city, but even if I could take 2 hours off my time it wouldn't help,
    because the clock is automatically forwarded when you enter the graveyard district.

13. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What exactly are the ways to avoid the Drow City, other than killing Adalon? :confused:

14. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Go in, snatch the eggs and hightail it back to the dragon. :D

15. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Viking.

Get Adalon to turn you to drow form.

With a high enough CHA go to the Kuo Toan Lair and find the exit from the Underdark. Convince the Drow guards that there will be an attack and they open the door. Run out and leave the underdark.

I can't understand why this finish it as fast as possible is even interesting.

16. Earl Grey

[​IMG] I have a couple of reasons:
    - Testing the limits of the game.
    - Figuring out the minimal or basic needs to do certain things, like what do you need to do before taking on Kangaxx or the Twisted Rune.
    It goes without saying that this is only really interesting when you have played BG2 over and over many times. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.